6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came across a T/C Encore in stainless. I’m not very familiar with them. It has a 15” 22-250 barrel on it. I’m thinking it would be nice with a 6.8 SPC barrel. Does anyone have a 6.8 barreled T/C? Where should i start looking for a barrel for it?

· Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MGM 'Match Grade Machine' will make you one, here's my 6.8......
View attachment 76614 View attachment 76615
I fallowed your lead and ordered a MGM stainless barrel in 6.8. There is about a 10 week wait.

My wife and I were both drawn for late season any buck tags in unit 5, SE of Flagstaff, AZ. She will be shooting her 270 Win and, hopefully, the barrel will be here in time to get it sorted for me to use on the hunt.

· Registered
340 Posts
I fallowed your lead and ordered a MGM stainless barrel in 6.8. There is about a 10 week wait.

My wife and I were both drawn for late season any buck tags in unit 5, SE of Flagstaff, AZ. She will be shooting her 270 Win and, hopefully, the barrel will be here in time to get it sorted for me to use on the hunt.
I was thinking of putting an Encore together myself one day. What did the barrel run from MGM?

· Registered
1,484 Posts

Hope you had it threaded for flash/comp, the Kaw Valley linear comp works really well focusing everything down range........... good luck

· Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking of putting an Encore together myself one day. What did the barrel run from MGM?
$410 delivered including their scope bass. They will make it with iron sights but since this will be a 300 yard pistol I figured I would only be using a scope. They recommended the 1:8 twist, so I went with it.

I’m not very familiar with the T/C. I shot a couple of them back in the 90’s, that is all the experience I have, but been curious about getting one, too. This one pretty much fell into my lap so I figured I’d give it a try.

Reactions: Nontypical

· Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hope you had it threaded for flash/comp, the Kaw Valley linear comp works really well focusing everything down range........... good luck
I didn’t. I wasn’t thinking a 15.75” barrel would need it? What barrel length did you get? have you shot it without the comp? I probably should’ve quizzed you up a little more before I place my order? I can still add to or change my order.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
15" but no I have not shot it without the comp.......lot easier to get it threaded now vs. later. You can always use the thread protector if you decide not to use one.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
I didn’t. I wasn’t thinking a 15.75” barrel would need it? What barrel length did you get? have you shot it without the comp? I probably should’ve quizzed you up a little more before I place my order? I can still add to or change my order.
btw, I'm currently using a Leupold 2.5 x 8 VX-3 Handgun scope on mine. It works really well.The Pachmayr grip and foregrip are great for control and recoil and you'll need a hammer extension. You might be surprised at the weight of these little puppies when you finish but its a good thing when you're lighting off rifle cartridges in a pistol! I always used a steady stick or the attached sling for hunting. T/C used to offer a real nice sling type holster but not sure where you'd find one these days.

· Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
btw, I'm currently using a Leupold 2.5 x 8 VX-3 Handgun scope on mine. It works really well.The Pachmayr grip and foregrip are great for control and recoil and you'll need a hammer extension. You might be surprised at the weight of these little puppies when you finish but its a good thing when you're lighting off rifle cartridges in a pistol! I always used a steady stick or the attached sling for hunting. T/C used to offer a real nice sling type holster but not sure where you'd find one these days.
Mine is similar to yours, stainless with the Pachmayr grips. I really like the Pachmayr grips on my GP100, makes it a real mild shooter even with the hottest hunting loads.

It has a 4x Burris pistol scope on it now. I also have a Japanese Simmons illuminated 3X, I’ll have to see which one I like best. I’m really liking the idea of leaving the scopes on and it stays zeroed when swapping barrels.

I’ll definitely need to figure out what sling or holster to lug this thing around with, it is built pretty solid. Where I’ll be hunting, very long stalks are common.

I picked up a couple boxes of ammo today. I’m hoping shoot it with the 22-250 barrel over the weekend to get familiar with it. Maybe call some coyotes?

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Guts, I just caught your note on barrel twist, 1:8 is way too fast for the 6.8. If you do a little research you'll find this:
"Generally speaking...

11" and 12" are considered optimum.

10" is acceptable.

9½" (and faster) should be avoided if possible.

Slower twist generates less pressure, allowing safe use of hotter ammo (SSA Tactical Loads, as well as max handloads). Of course, too slow twist wouldn't stabilize the bullets, so 11" to 12" has become the preferred rate, and likely the slowest that you'll find for the 6.8 SPC.

Along with the twist rate, also look for Spec II (or equivalent) chamber."

Mine is 1:10 as are my hunting rifles which is fairly common and plenty accurate.
If you are going to use factory ammo avoid anything Remington as it tends to be the least accurate.......the 6.8 is a reloader's dream. regards
( comments only applicable to 6.8 SPC II, not 6.8 Western which is a totally different animal, note post below)

· Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I spoke with MGM they recommended the 1:8 twist for copper bullets over 95 grains in 6.8 SPCII chamber. I will definitely call them again to verify. I might change it to 1:9? It is relatively expensive (and long wait time) to experiment with if it doesn’t work well, but I don’t want to go slower.

From forum and online searches, I gather it is rifling style, not so much twist rate that might create pressure issues. I’m not an expert, but don’t think a twist rate change of 1 or 2 will have a dangerous effect on pressure.

This pistol will be used for hunting. Terminal performance can also be enhanced with a faster twist rate. While I’ll definitely try light weight varmint bullets, for the most part I plan to use it with heavier (longer) bullets more appropriate for hogs, deer and black bear. I’m really hoping to get it sorted with, and just shoot CBB 120 MKZs.

I’m a bit gun-shy on too slow of a twist rate. Another one of my favorite hunting cartridges, the 444 Marlin, has been greatly handicapped by too slow a twist rate. There have been no pressure issues when going from 1:36 to 1:24 with the 444M.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
When I spoke with MGM they recommended the 1:8 twist for copper bullets over 95 grains in 6.8 SPCII chamber. I will definitely call them again to verify. I might change it to 1:9? It is relatively expensive (and long wait time) to experiment with if it doesn’t work well, but I don’t want to go slower.
Well, you're heading in the right direction but not quite there. If you survey some current 6.8 rifle manufacturers you'll find this.
  • Wilson Combat 1:11
  • Daniel Defense 1:11
  • Stag 1:11
  • Rock River 1:10
  • LWRC 1:10
  • And even 1:12 with Noveske

Got to be a reason no fast twists, you think? .....Accuracy. Nothing exotic about RR rifling and they don't go below 1:10.. The only exception I've seen is Shaw barrels at "Model 1 Sales" with a 1:9.5 twist. And they're hardly top tier
good luck, let us know how it turns out............

· Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’ve been super busy with moving, working on the new place and finishing up several work projects. By the time I got around to calling MGM about changing the rifle twist and adding threads to the muzzle the new barrel had arrived on my doorstep. I can’t believe the time flew by, everyday it was on my mind to give them a call.

I’m not overly concerned with the fast twist, but we’ll see... I’ve got a fairly decent selection of factory ammo to try but I’m hoping to have time to load up some 120 MKz.

Being a total newbe to the T/C Encore, what do I need to be mindful of when changing barrels? Head space?

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Being a total newbe to the T/C Encore, what do I need to be mindful of when changing barrels? Head space?
Lock-up can be hit and miss with T/C, hope you got a good one. I installed an over sized hinge pin in mine, head space good. Lots of info here if you have issues........

range report?

· Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A little update.

I finally put the 6.8SPCII barrel on the Encore frame. I only had time to take it out once to shoot. The wind up here in northern AZ has been blowing fierce. Using 120grn Hornady’s sighting at 100 yards in 25+ mph gusting winds my grouping was a little more than 1.5”. I’m sure in calmer winds groups will improve. I’m more than pleased.

I just got back from a 10 day deer hunt. I wanted to use the 6.8 pistol exclusively but haven’t been able to find a sling or holster for it. Also, the 2 pistol scopes I have don’t work so well for longer ranges pistols. Most shot opportunities where I hunt are in excess of 150-350 yards.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
A little update.

I finally put the 6.8SPCII barrel on the Encore frame. I only had time to take it out once to shoot. The wind up here in northern AZ has been blowing fierce. Using 120grn Hornady’s sighting at 100 yards in 25+ mph gusting winds my grouping was a little more than 1.5”. I’m sure in calmer winds groups will improve. I’m more than pleased.

I just got back from a 10 day deer hunt. I wanted to use the 6.8 pistol exclusively but haven’t been able to find a sling or holster for it. Also, the 2 pistol scopes I have don’t work so well for longer ranges pistols. Most shot opportunities where I hunt are in excess of 150-350 yards.
Uncle Mikes for holster , look on EBay under T/C Encore holster. I have one T/C branded that I picked up some time ago, not sure T/C still selling accessories, but UM should do the trick. I'm currently using Leupold VX3 2.5 X 8 Handgun scope on mine, they're damn proud of these things $$, but most show out of stock anyway, maybe you can find something comparable. . The sling on the Pachmayr grips I posted above works really well for me. Simple short nylon sling with QD swivels. Good luck on those 350 yd pistol shots o_O . Post pictures of your T/C, here, if no pics, it didn't happen. regards

1 - 20 of 24 Posts