6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After digesting all the info I have read here, and after building two new six8 bolt rifles, I think I have been swayed from the 95gr TTSX to the 120gr SST for hunting hogs and deer this coming season.
With the price of TTSX bullets being what it is, I have always used alternates at the range. With the SST prices, I can load for range work AND hunting in ONE pre-season loading session.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i've decided the same. i've got friends that only shoot accubonds and swear by them but since i can't get them i'll be cooking up an SST load.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Me 2

I'm in the same camp.

With the 110 ABs extinct, I've moved to the 120 SST. Already shot my ladders and am ready to go.

With TXLAWMAN showing us all what the 120 SSTs will do, it's a no brainier IMHO. #TEAMHORNADY

·
Registered
690 Posts
120 sst

Be sure and post your load data and results for us if you don't mind. i'd looking to cook up a load myself with the 120 SST.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I love the 120 SST performance and price. Unfortunately my ARP barrel doesn't. It likes the Nos 110 AB. Go figure.

Groups are about 1/2 the size of the 120 SST. At the distances I hunt it shouldn't matter, but I do love accurate loads.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
587 Posts
I love the 120 SST performance and price. Unfortunately my ARP barrel doesn't. It likes the Nos 110 AB. Go figure.

Groups are about 1/2 the size of the 120 SST. At the distances I hunt it shouldn't matter, but I do love accurate loads.

Have you tried various coals and powders. Sometimes coal change makes a big difference.

·
Registered
690 Posts

i have the same issue as well. I have a ARP target crown, it will drill MOA with my handloads using 110 OTMs. and with S&B PTS it literally will shoot 5 into one ragged hole. But put that 120 SST through it and 2 to 3 MOA. I really don't care because i don't use the 120's for my target loads anyway, i'm happy dinging steel with my 110's.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Arp barrel

I've only shot some test loads out of my 18" ARP. Wasn't real focused as I was sighting in numerous other weapons for hunting season. However, I did print around 1 MOA. I'm confident my loads will shoot better when I do my part, BETTER. We'll see.....

·
Registered
119 Posts
I never find 120 SST locally and I havent tried to find any online. I am in the same boat as you guys giving up on the Accubond if I cant buy any more.
Im curious to see why pick the SST over the prohunter? I skimmed through Xmans testing again and it seemed like the prohunter stayed together as well as the SST. Im glad we have choices but just want to hear others opinions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I believe I'll stick with my 120 or 130 fusions. I can load them for a few cents more per completed round than the cost of a 120 sst bare bullet, and not have wasted meat.

RT

·
Registered
3,820 Posts

Same here.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
AR Performance 6.8, 18" barrel. Armasight Zeus Pro 640 - 100mm thermal, Saker 7.62 can.
Firing 120SST, over 27.2grns AA2200, CCI450, at 2.285" OAL.
The 120SST is devastating on hogs.. I would Not use this bullet for whitetail, far too much meat destruction.
-

-

-

-

Dennis

·
Registered
399 Posts
CCI450 and Federal cases- 27.4 at 2.295 gives me 2380fps out of my 12.5 ARP. Have not chronied my newer standard load of 27.5 grains at 2.292. Most of my hunting with the 6.8 is at night (hogs) and can usually get shots under 100Y if you watch the wind. Hell, if you don't watch the wind, you're not going to get many standing shots on pigs under 400Y. That being said, this load and the 12.5" ARP barrel will ring the 3" plate at 200 yards all day long, and that is all that is needed out of this rifle.

I've got plenty of hte 120SST for the next 5 deer seasons even with 25 hog hunts/ year, but I recently stocked up on the 90 grain Gold Dot pulls and am playing with them. At $.17 per delivered, they're hard to beat at about 50% the cost of the SSTs. And, the 12.5" likes them. TLM's posts on the GDs have me hesitant to use them on meat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We have had good luck with the 120 SST factory loads on 5 deer in the last 2 years. As far as wasted meat, don't shoot them in the shouder. Just behind is fine, as it liquefies the lungs. The one that ran the furthest only went 20 yds. We also tried the 100 GMX Full Boar on 2 bucks last year with great results, both DRT. The rifles are both Arp barrels and bolts and will shoot MOA with both loads.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have shot several deer over the past four or five using the 120 sst with no meat lost. I shot them broad side behind the front shoulder lungs get smoked the deer will not run over thirty yards. I clean and process my on deer and I don't eat deer ribs anyway,don't know anyone that does eat the rib meat. If you do happen to mess up and drill one in the shoulder you will get some blood shot meat lol.

·
Registered
430 Posts
re

I have shot several deer over the past four or five using the 120 sst with no meat lost. I shot them broad side behind the front shoulder lungs get smoked the deer will not run over thirty yards. I clean and process my on deer and I don't eat deer ribs anyway,don't know anyone that does eat the rib meat. If you do happen to mess up and drill one in the shoulder you will get some blood shot meat lol.
Sounds good to me as this is what I intend to use 5 months from now when our deer season comes in.
I mainly shoot for the shoulder as I just clean the shoulders up and grind them into burger .

Glad to know that if I pull a shot, for whatever the reason, that devastating damage is going to be done to the heart and lung area.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts