6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I bought a mobile home in Florida that had previously belonged to some of what we refer to as snowbirds. They would buy places like this and then come down to spend the winters in Florida and then go home when it started to warm up. The place came fully furnished, right down to sheets and towels, dishes, a sewing machine, bicycles, you name it. At any rate there was this strange looking utensil in one of the kitchen drawers that I have never really been sure of what it was. I figured with all the knowledge around here someone would surely know. If not, the guesses might be interesting. I don't think it is a nutcracker or crab leg cracker, though I have used them for both in a pinch. They are shiny chrome though it is hard to tell in the pic because of reflection. Ideas?

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
obviously not a booger picker or azz scratcher,,i'm going with rounded off bolt heads or rounded off nuts for bolts

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Bottle and jar opener. Though the jars would need to be smaller sized.

·
Super Moderator
1,429 Posts
The smallest non-serrated opening almost looks like you could crimp blasting caps with it.

Combo tool for crabs and crimps? UDT tool?:a31:

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
Combination nut and crab leg pliers, is my thoughts as well.

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nut cracker? Looks to have a place for small nuts and big nuts...
Sounds kind of like this forum huh. All kinds of nuts around here LOL, what about the smallest non serrated hole? Maybe it is a nut cracker. I have never seen them with the different size serrated holes but in doing a search for nut crackers there are some that are fairly similar, though none just like these. Most all were completely chrome without the small rubber grips? at the ends. I wondered about jar openers but they would have to be pretty small.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Sounds kind of like this forum huh. LOL, what about the smallest non serrated hole?
Lol some of the member do fall in that category. Not sure about the small hole. Just do like I do and use them for what ever they will work on haha. Out in the garage working on something eating nuts then you got a rounded off bolt BAM!! You got a tool for both jobs

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
Nutcracker with a bullet puller slot.

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
The small area:
Must be for pistachios, pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds. They make a scissor type smooth 3 section tool for those.

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Been around pecan trees all my life. Those look like nut crackers to me. I have been known to use them on crab legs before.

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been around pecan trees all my life. Those look like nut crackers to me. I have been known to use them on crab legs before.

Those do look very similar. I just have always been used to the type that were just straight on each side.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Just did a search on crab crackers and the images show the metal crackers as marketed for both seafood & nuts.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I just have always been used to the type that were just straight on each side.
Yep, I've used that kind too. For small quantities those straight ones work great, but when you sit down to crack and shell 5 gallon buckets full this style is a lot nicer on the hands. That said I've seen a few cheaper versions of this style bend on pecans, never seen that happen with the straight ones.

Crab and and nut cracker. Have a set myself for eating king crab legs!:a21:
Damned it, all this talk about crab legs I might have to go to Hooters tomorrow. I try to avoid the place (not a very good atmosphere if you get my drift), but I don't know of any other local place that serves them.

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep, I've used that kind too. For small quantities those straight ones work great, but when you sit down to crack and shell 5 gallon buckets full this style is a lot nicer on the hands. That said I've seen a few cheaper versions of this style bend on pecans, never seen that happen with the straight ones.

Damned it, all this talk about crab legs I might have to go to Hooters tomorrow. I try to avoid the place (not a very good atmosphere if you get my drift), but I don't know of any other local place that serves them.
A trip to Red Lobster was what started this whole thing. I had a pile of king crab and snow crab left over and pulled those out of the drawer to crack them with and just got me curious if anyone knew what they were really for.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
A trip to Red Lobster was what started this whole thing. I had a pile of king crab and snow crab left over and pulled those out of the drawer to crack them with and just got me curious if anyone knew what they were really for.
I have gotten spoiled living on the coast where dungness crab is abundant fom mid November till the end of June (Crab Season) where we can run a mile ofr two out of the harbor to go run the crab pots and bring in limits of crab straight to the pots of boiling water waiting in the parking lot waiting for the party to begin the first few weeks of the opener. Then I will toss live crab into a cooler with ocean water and some ice to keep the critters alive with an aerator pump and ave crab boils in the driveway at home for a week. Drives my neighbors nuts hoping for a fresh crab from the pot. No butter needed when they are this fresh. Ruined me for life on store bought crab that is days old. Same with going to a restaurant unless it is near a wharf.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts