6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled across a couple deals on Cabelas so I'm thinking about a new bolt gun. They have a Savage Model 12 FV in 308 for $289 and a Ruger American in 7-08 for $279. I don't need either but getting real tempted. Anyone have experience with either? I'm leaning towards the 308 but it has a 26 inch barrel. If I do go 308 route what ammo are guys using for hunting? Deer, hogs and coyotes would be most likely what its used for. Ammo would probably be easier to get. It weighs dang near 9 lbs so when I ever get to go back elk hunting I wouldn't want to lug it. The Ruger weighs 6.25 lbs and has a 22 inch barrel I believe.

I've already got a 270, 25-06 and .243 so its not a must but dang it's almost to good to pass up.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Your 270 beats them booth. Why bother, especially with a gun so heavy you wouldn't want to lug it around? It looks like the Savage Model 12 FV is out of production as it is not listed on its website.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I agree with Xman, but if you do go with the 308 I’ve found that Privi Partizan 165 btsp is fabulously accurate in my 308. I could cover a 3 round group at 600y with the palm of my hand. Kills deer really well, too.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m more trying to talk myself into it than out of it. My 270 is all I’ve ever needed for anything we hunt anyways. If I ever were to step up to moose I have access to some magnum calibers. The weight doesn’t so much bother me but I figure by the time you add a scope your up close to 11 lbs plus ammo. For sitting in a box stand no big deal. The longer barrel wouldn’t be ideal for thick timber but again a box stand no problem.

Xman that particular Savage is a Cabelas exclusive rifle so it’s not listed on Savages website. It’s a sweet shooting rifle from what I’ve been able to find. The longer barrel was pushing some of the heavier loads tested I’ve 3000fps.

Thanks for the input/advice guys. I’ve got some points to burn but guess it can wait until there’s something I actually need.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I would find out what barrel twist the .308 has. Many use 1:12 for a varmint version. 1:10 would be more my liking for heavier bullets and getting increased expansion from any monolithic copper bullet you use. It has been amazing to see how much more copper bullets expand with a faster twist rate. Have fun!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I’m more trying to talk myself into it than out of it. My 270 is all I’ve ever needed for anything we hunt anyways. If I ever were to step up to moose I have access to some magnum calibers. The weight doesn’t so much bother me but I figure by the time you add a scope your up close to 11 lbs plus ammo. For sitting in a box stand no big deal. The longer barrel wouldn’t be ideal for thick timber but again a box stand no problem.

Xman that particular Savage is a Cabelas exclusive rifle so it’s not listed on Savages website. It’s a sweet shooting rifle from what I’ve been able to find. The longer barrel was pushing some of the heavier loads tested I’ve 3000fps.

Thanks for the input/advice guys. I’ve got some points to burn but guess it can wait until there’s something I actually need.
Go whole hog and get a SIG cross in .308. Too rich for my blood though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you ever wanted a switch barrel rifle, grab the Savage. It’s a fantastic base.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had to do some serious web scouring and digging through the savage shooters forum and have found the twist is 1:10. Reports of 1/2 moa accuracy with the heavy's but all have shot well. Seems preference is for the heavier loads.

Barnes Vortex has 3 loads for the 308. 130 gr,150 gr and 168 gr. The 168 says 1:11 or faster. I haven't looked into any more ammo but knew for fact those were monolithic offerings.

I thought I had talked myself out of it but now may be leaning that way again.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
The 168 TTSX bullet was specifically made for the 308 Win. It will perform well in a 1:10 twist. ........ almost as well as the Barnes 129 LRX in your 270.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
130 TTSX does ok in close but loses KE too quickly down range because of its low ballistic coefficient.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts