6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I'm thinking about a new 308. Right now I have a savage model 10... and it's fine but.
Well, a Mossberg 7.62/308 mvp - kind of has my eye. in a shorter barrel than 22".
I'm partial to bolt actions.
Any thoughts on it? I'm waffling between a 20" and 18.5".
Maybe the 18.5? 16 maybe too short...
Laminated stock?
there's also the thunder ranch.
Anyone shoot one of these?
Thanks for any opinions.

·
Banned
125 Posts
It's pretty easy to change a barrel on a Savage. Why not just order up a shorter barrel and spin it on? BHW makes a pretty nice barrel for the Savage action.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
take a look at the ruger american rifle in .308 if your looking for a decent rifle in the lower price range. it comes with a threaded barrel also if you want to add a suppressor. i will say the stock is cheap but i swapped it with a Boyd's stock and it's a different rifle.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
take a look at the ruger american rifle in .308 if your looking for a decent rifle in the lower price range. it comes with a threaded barrel also if you want to add a suppressor. i will say the stock is cheap but i swapped it with a Boyd's stock and it's a different rifle.
Thanks to both of ya. I may look into the Ruger... just can't get myself to pull the trigger on that one tho. Don't know why.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Pick up a Savage, then shop aftermarket take-off barrels. Play around with .308, then switch to .243 and play around some more. It becomes educational, and it doesn't cost much at all.

have fun!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Check out the new Bergara bolt action rifles that is probably the best value around right now. you get a lot including submoa warranty.
They are based on the remington 700 that is the most popular action in the world followed by the savage 10/11.
IMO this is how a remington 700 should be done. One can add a bottom metal for a magazine.

I created a thread for this new Bergara model....
http://68forums.com/forums/showthre...B14-bolt-action-rifle-Any-new-owners-opinions

18" is about the minimum for a 308. A lot of powder is burned outside the barrel. Most loads are optimized for 22" and after that
the speed gain goes down exponentially unless one is reloading or with some match ammo.
20" seems like the perfect balance but of course a 21" or a 19" will do fine too with some gain or loss in speed obviously.
A 21" SA rifle is pretty compact still.

The mossberg is cool but like the ruger scout they are not as accurate. I guess it depends on your objectives and the role for your rifle.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Just got done with my R700 SPS AAC-SD in .308. 20" barrel. Hogue stock, Magpul DBM and 10 round Magpul AICS mags. Vortex Viper PS-T 6-24x FFP. Sent the bolt off and had it threaded and bolt knob installed. (Best deal on ebay, awesome work and turnaround, guy was top shelf all the way)YHM Phantom - Ti. 308 DT can. It shot this 9 round group with a ****ty scope (before the PS-T)
.91 MOA suppressed with my M852 match clones. My new favorite rifle!

You can pay for school, but you can't buy class.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have a heavy barreled howa. I put a steel 20 moa base and some good rings. Thing shoots itty bitty little groups. I've only put about 50 rounds through it. Working up the load I was .3 moa at 100 yards. It'll get better I'm sure once the barrel is broke in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts