6.8 SPC Forums banner

101 - 105 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m currently working on cast subsonics for my 6.8. Custom mold for 214gr Bullets. Planning on pc but having trouble with the bullets bending after sizing. Shot some unsized yesterday with good results other than not enough powder to cycle the action. I’ll keep tweaking it. It was only a function test on the new ar build I completed. My normal plinking load cycled perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What sizing method are you using? I PC first, then do a straight push through lee sizing die at .278". A traditional lube/sizer requires a well fit nose punch to help prevent "bending", something I bet your custom mold didn't come with???

·
Registered
65 Posts
What sizing method are you using? I PC first, then do a straight push through lee sizing die at .278". A traditional lube/sizer requires a well fit nose punch to help prevent "bending", something I bet your custom mold didn't come with???
I’m using a lee die but it’s sizing to .276” for some reason. I tried sizing before and after pc and they bent both ways. Also with my range scrap lead and my friend’s coww alloy. Same results.

I’m thinking my Bullets are so long and thin with no lube grooves it’s forcing the lead to do some weird stuff. I had to order some small boring bars to get into a .250” hole to make a new sizer die and they came in today. Going to give it a shot this week on making a die that will support the bullet as it goes through.

The top 2 are unsized bottom 2 sized.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow! Yeah, that's some serious bend. .276" is likely putting some serious stress into that big slug too. My little Lee 135/120g modified mold throws almost perfect .278" slugs from 90/5/5 alloy, barely kissing the lee sizing die, putting little if any stress into the projo. Quick question: what twist bbl are you running for a slug that long/heavy?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wow! Yeah, that's some serious bend. .276" is likely putting some serious stress into that big slug too. My little Lee 135/120g modified mold throws almost perfect .278" slugs from 90/5/5 alloy, barely kissing the lee sizing die, putting little if any stress into the projo. Quick question: what twist bbl are you running for a slug that long/heavy?
My mold throws them at .2795” - 280”.

I’m using a 1:7 bison 8.5” barrel. Just test fired it for the first time yesterday. Plinking rounds worked great, subs with 15gr h335 (starting point from bison for their 200gr woodleigh bullets) didn’t cycle the action.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have a whole thread here somewhere .
H322 in 16" carbine gas . 2050 fps on a 130 gr NOE .279-124 .
2200 in an ARP 20" rifle gas with H4198 . Greased and checked in both . Seated to 2.260 .
2.25"+ @100 from the 1-10" twist carbine with sufficient retained energy to punch 1/2" OSB and 1/4" CRS plate , Strelok ballistics app estimates 98? ftlb .
The ARP 1-11" 5r heavy barrel delivered 1.5" with the H322 load no adjustments and closer to an inch with the 4198 work ups .
New trigger , sights , and other concerns pulled me away for finishing load development . Alloy was WW and tamper seals 75/25 . The tamper seals appear to be 20-1 lead tin but draw into solution about 2.5% copper from the crimp wires so the resulting alloy is 95 % lead , 2% antimony , 2.5% tin and .5% copper , water quenched . It tests @22 bhn but behaves more like a 16 on impact . I don't have any impact testing from the 2200 fps loads but at would expect them to break and exit off side shoulders on 200# hogs and at a minimum through an onside shoulder to bone spray the vitals with 75-80 gr retained .

101 - 105 of 105 Posts