6.8 SPC Forums banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think I was shooting for 2200 fps with that load. All my reading leads one to the conclusion that 2200 fps is the accuracy limit for cast bullets. Just lucky to hit close to the sweet spot on the first try. I used loads from 21 to 25 grains and none were as close as 23. I had a couple hundred 7mm soupcan cast. They went in the pot yesterday.

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
If you are not going to invest in the whole casting process, but get cast bullets, is the gas check mandatory for 6.8 applications? How involved is the gas check process and what hardware is required?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I would think a GC would be necessary from an AR to keep lead out of the port. I'm gonna get a push through style sizer- probably a Lee, that works with a regular reloading press.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use gas checks, but many old-timers say that they are not necessary if you have the correct bullet hardness. You need a plain base bullet so the bullet obturates correctly. The Lee dies I ordered are designed for gas checks. I use the Lee type sizer made by a guy over at castboolits.com with the handle of Buckshot. I am too cheap to invest in $400-$500 worth of sizing equipment (to cover all the many sizes I load). I like Carnuba Red lube, which I rub on by hand and then run through the sizer. The test shots were made with liquid Alox tumble lubed. Buy your lube here http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/ I have copied Buckshot's message to me below. I don't want to post his personal details on an open forum. I did copy the links from his castboolits.com contacts page.

<fieldset> <legend>Send a Message to Buckshot</legend>

</fieldset> <dl class="list_no_decoration" id="additional_contact_details"><dt class="shade">This Page</dt><dd>http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=67</dd></dl>

SIZE DIES

I make both Lee and Lyman/RCBS dies. The Lee dies are $22 + $3.00 shipping for the 1st die via 1st Class USPS. Two or more Lee dies go in the $5 small flat rate box.

The Lyman dies are $28 + $2 rtn shipping via 1st Class USPS. A 2nd Lyman die is $1 additional shipping. If you're wanting more then 2 Lyman dies they'd have to go in the $5 USPS box.

Three important notes:

1) I do not make Lyman/RCBS or Lee die sizes that are currently available at retail.

2) If you want the Lyman/RCBS ejector pin dished and vented please include an additional $3 for each die so ordered.

3) I do NOT cut the setscrew retaining groove in the die for the old Lyman #45 lube press system. If you need that groove, be sure to include that info in your order instructions. Otherwise it isn't going to be there.

These flat rate boxes have free delivery confirmation. *NOTE* 1st Class USPS does not have Del Conf, nor insurance. If you're wanting either, the next cheapest way to ship is the Small Flat Rate Box @ $5. Insurance is NOT provided. If you want insurance you'll need to provide the additional funds.

Tolerance on the dies is nominal to +.0003". They're proofed with a WW slug which is shipped with the die. As you know from very soft to very hard alloys will size to different OD's in the same die. If you want to size very hard, or very soft bullets to an exact diameter, please provide 4 slugs in that alloy, otherwise WW does a creditable job for 95% of shooting cast.

A personal check is fine. Please provide instructions (sizeing diameter) and your board handle or e-mail so I can contact you if necessary. NOTE: Your check IS NOT cashed until your order is ready to ship.

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
2) If you want the Lyman/RCBS ejector pin dished and vented please include an additional $3 for each die so ordered.

3) I do NOT cut the setscrew retaining groove in the die for the old Lyman #45 lube press system. If you need that groove, be sure to include that info in your order instructions. Otherwise it isn't going to be there.
What do these mean?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Morme, have you decided which diameter sizer is best? I'll probably just go with .278, what do you think?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Morme, have you decided which diameter sizer is best? I'll probably just go with .278, what do you think?
It is what I have. It would be nice to have more sizing dies, but at the moment, I am satisfied with the 125 grain Lee sized to .278.

The more variables, the more complicated it is collecting data. So far, I've only tried one powder. Next step is different powders

·
Registered
67 Posts
Back in 2004 & 2005 we came out with a cast bullet "Xtreme" and it was an Xtreme mess. The bullet would expand as it engaged the cone and drove up pressures to where blowing primers where an issue.

If you do go down this road be carefull and do not push the velocities.

Art - SSA

·
Registered
797 Posts
here is my post from the lee custom mould order thread

OK so I finally made it down to dad's, we keep all the reloading equipment there, got some of the wheel weights melted down, got our casting blocks waxed and carbon treated and sure enough as soon as we got everything heated, melted, skimmed, fluxed and ready to pour, my first bullet was jsut as perfect as can be. beginners luck huh! I bought a few ingots at a local gun store. if in springfield mo cherokee guns seems pretty well equipped. we were really shocked to see that bass pro doesnt really dabble in the casting supplies. anyhoo here are the pics
the little round one was our left over lead after making my first batch of bullets
these are 5 nice lookin bullets we got that had nice bases on them
same 5 on side view
i counted about 67 here (may need recounting)
and after we waxed them and bagged them. siziung is next.

I have also ordered the lee bullet sizing kit. It is a custom sizer ordered from lee
http://leeprecision.com/custom-lube-and-sizing-kit.html
just enter your requested size. I am ordering .277 because that is what all of our copper bullets are sized to. hoping to make it down to dads after the wife has the baby and dad and I can do some reloading while they sleep. time to get some of those gas checks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wondering what bullet weights everyone is getting with these molds.
With straight ww, lubed, & gas checked I'm getting 106g

·
Registered
7 Posts
Range Report for Mihec 130 gr. (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?129369-Mihec-6-8-spc/page10&highlight=mihec+6.8):

Also included info regarding Lyman/Ideal 110
I built moderate loads using Alliant Reloader 7. Start at 19.0grs. and in .1 gr increments to 21.7.
No pressure signs. I will be building hotter loads for the next trip.
Cast/Checked/Lubed weights came in at 132gr to 134gr. I did not grade by weight at this time.
Next loadings will be weight graded to within 1.0 grain range.
I sized to .278" with a Lyman 450 lubsizer. Lube is a Paraffin/beeswax/Vaseline/STP blend.
Once fired SSA brass trimmed to .1670". Full length sizing performed by RCBS small base die.
CCI 300 primers and Hornady gas checks. COL at 2.200" .015" off contact w/ grooves/lands for my particular chamber. See my last post regarding my ARP upper: #191.
Due to the fact that the COL places the gas check well past the case neck, I buffered the power with Dacron Polyfill.

I single loaded each round. I used very little crimp, but in the future I think I will try a Lee Factory Crimp to insure consistent crimp for mag feeding.

I didn't clean barrel at all during the load testing. At the end, I inspected the barrel and detected slight fouling that cleaned out easily. Some lead shavings in the chamber however. I used a Lee Universal Expanding die to slightly flare case mouth to ease loading.

Temperature was 40 degrees F. Slight cross wind at 5-10 mph. Location: Albany Rifle and Pistol Club, Shedd Oregon.
Range: 50 yds.
Best statistical data using a shooting Chrony:
4 shots chronographed, 5 shot volley: 1 error.
Lo - 1939 1-1948
Hi - 1956 2-1949
AV -1948 3-1939
ES -17.07 4-1956
SD - 6.92

Best Grouping: .91", w/ 1 flyer. 21.7grs. Reloader 7.

Lo - 2083 1 - 2083
Hi - 2144 2 - 2121
Av - 2117 3 - 2142
Es - 61.08 4 - 2144 (flyer)
Sd - 27.22 5 - 2096

As mentioned, I will be loading up a new batch of hotter loads. I expect to get toward 2400fps or more.
I normally shoot a Sierra Pro Hunter 110 jacketed round at 2650 Average. 1 hole groups @ 100 yds.

MY ARP 6.8 SS Hunter keeps getting better as I shoot it more. Probably ~1000 rounds so far. It seems cast should allow me to get higher performance that jacketed.

I'm including the following information for those interested in another .270 (6.8) mould I'm playing with.

Recently I found an old Ideal/Lyman 2 cavity mould: #280 468S. For $40.00, I just couldn't resist...
Cast WW alloyed w/ Nickel Babbitt, water quenched. It drops between 106.8 gr and 107.8gr. Checked and lubed, we are hitting 110 grains.
I load this w/ Reloader 7. COL 2.185", .015" off grooves/lands
Best statistical @ 25.0 gr.: 2431 fps ave. Group size 4.35" @ 50 yds.
Best group @ 23.9gr.: 2294 fps ave. Group size 1.68" @ 50 yds

Plenty of room to push this load some more, as there were no signs of excessive pressure at the highest loads of 25.6gr.

All future load testings will utilize graded boolits. More to come.

Please work up yours own loads!

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
Cast WW alloyed w/ Nickel Babbitt, water quenched. It drops between 106.8 gr and 107.8gr. Checked and lubed, we are hitting 110 grains.
Plenty of room to push this load some more, as there were no signs of excessive pressure at the highest loads of 25.6gr.

Looks like a great alloy for your bullets but I would think you are rapidly approaching the maximum velocity with the lead bullets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks like a great alloy for your bullets but I would think you are rapidly approaching the maximum velocity with the lead bullets.
With the proper alloy, heat treatment, lube, and bore smoothness, cast can be pushed towards 3000. Not saying that I'll be able to achieve my goal, but I am going to to try to get the 130 grain boolit to hit 2600+ fps. I just finished building some test loads for the 110 grain Lyman/Ideal #280 468S. The alloy is harder than my last batch. I'm making small incremental changes and checking for lead fouling as I go. Particular attention has been made to case preparation, boolit grading (all within .3 grains before gas checking and lubing). Neck tension is consistent and I'm not crimping.

Picture of the Babbitt I'm alloying with

Attachments

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Range Report for Mihec 130 gr. (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?129369-Mihec-6-8-spc/page10&highlight=mihec+6.8):

Also included info regarding Lyman/Ideal 110
I built moderate loads using Alliant Reloader 7. Start at 19.0grs. and in .1 gr increments to 21.7.
No pressure signs. I will be building hotter loads for the next trip.
Cast/Checked/Lubed weights came in at 132gr to 134gr. I did not grade by weight at this time.
Next loadings will be weight graded to within 1.0 grain range.
I sized to .278" with a Lyman 450 lubsizer. Lube is a Paraffin/beeswax/Vaseline/STP blend.
Once fired SSA brass trimmed to .1670". Full length sizing performed by RCBS small base die.
CCI 300 primers and Hornady gas checks. COL at 2.200" .015" off contact w/ grooves/lands for my particular chamber. See my last post regarding my ARP upper: #191.

pbard1 welcome to 68forums, thank goodness someone else is trying to "blast the cast" in their 6.8.....

From my last post on Cast Boolets I've adjusted my COAL to 2.200 with the Mihec cast. I did not shoot the RE7 higher than 20.0 grs, so i will revisit that powder again.....

I did try H4895 and it gave up some groups in the 1 1/2" at 50....I'll review my note and post more later....

One question...how are you grading your boolits?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm a total nOOb with cast bullets- reading lymans book and have everything on order including this mold.

In reading the LASC's info online it sounds like the oven hardened WW might be a bit too hard, with the water quenched WW pehaps being just about hard enough for our 6.8's at about 2300+/- 100fps. Perhaps tossing in a bit of linotype to get it just a little harder?

I'd appreciate ya'lls thoughts for the right mix.

thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
pbard1 welcome to 68forums, thank goodness someone else is trying to "blast the cast" in their 6.8.....

From my last post on Cast Boolets I've adjusted my COAL to 2.200 with the Mihec cast. I did not shoot the RE7 higher than 20.0 grs, so i will revisit that powder again.....

I did try H4895 and it gave up some groups in the 1 1/2" at 50....I'll review my note and post more later....

One question...how are you grading your boolits?
I weigh each before gas checking/lubing. Using a bell curve as a model, I toss out the light and heavy boolits. I keep my usable spread within 1 grain. I then sort in .1 grain increments. When I load (after gas checking, sizing, and lubing) I load my heaviest first with my lowest powder weights and work toward the lightest boolits with my heavier powder loads. I just shot a round of test boolits yesterday (110 gr. Lyman\Ideal mold) and was able to get 1500+ fps with a standard deviation of 5.74 fps. Spread was about 1.6" at 50 yards. Best load was 26.6 grs. of Reloader 7. That was my hottest load. I'll be casting some more 130gr. Mihec boolits soon with this alloy. Primers were moderately showing some pressure signs. My boolits were hard enough that I was barely able to make a scratch with my thumb nail. I don't have a hardness tester, but use the pencil method and figured about 19-21 Brinell. These are wheel weights alloyed with nickel babbitt, then water quenched. Lube is a pound each of paraffin, beeswax, Vaseline, and 1 tablespoon of STP oil treatment. Works well in the cold. Might be too soft at high temps. A good lube to use is Veral Smiths Blue: http://www.lbtmoulds.com/lube.shtml. fI you don't want to brew your own.
I was shooting yesterday with temps between 36-40 degrees F. No leading at all. Kinda messy to clean my AR. Fired cases were very dirty with wax. I ran a long pipe cleaner thru my gas tube, and it came out pretty clean. I shoot a lot of .44 Mag with my lube with no leading. 1200 fps in my Super Blackhawk Hunter, and 1400fps out of my 24" Marlin Cowboy Limited. I am working on loads for my 444S Marlin .

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Good idea on bell curve for culling boolits......

Are you having any issues with the bases of the Mihec boolits? Getting a clean base and square gas check has gave me fits, most bases are a tad over sized for the check.

As far as lubes go, I'm running White Label BAC and Carnuba Red in a RCBS lube/sizer. Being in Florida our temps routinely run between 70 - 80 degrees this time of year, I haven't seen any wax issues. No leading issues either with WW's air and water quenched. I've not tried to add a harder alloy, yet.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts