6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have turned lead into 6.8 gold, let everyone know here. Please post your experiences, load development, tips, and successes here for 6.8 casting and loading.

What are you casting?
What are you loading?
Where are you getting your supplies (moulds/molds, lead, pre-cast bullets...)?
Any problems that you didn't have with jacketed bullets?

Let's hear it!:a21:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Sweet!! I will post up some info when I get my bullet mold. I have to get my fingers on some
gas checks first. This is gonna bring a whole knew concept to reloading for me. I have cast
fishing sinkers before, but never bullets.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The problem is that there are few .277 cal bullet moulds and even fewer appropriate to 6.8. Figure 130 gn is the limit for a cast bullet.

Using greenhill, the max lengths for bullets are
1.151" for 1:10 twist
1.046 for 1:11
0.959 for 1:12

There are also different throat lengths which determine how deep to seat the bullet. IMHO, the best barrel has a 1:10 twist and .100 throat like SPCII.

Many manufacturers have discontinued .277 moulds. 270 just does not seem to be a popular size for casting. 6.8 may change that. Lee discontinued the 2 they had in 1996. The 7mm Soup Can casts at .880 long, and when sized to .278 it grows to .905 long.

The .945 long RCBS 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 27-130-FN# 270 Caliber (277 Diameter) 130 Grain Flat Nose Gas Check seems a good fit. The bullets feed fine

One possibility is to take a 7mm (.285) and size it to .278. Lee will make a custom sizer as will a member of castboolits (better and cheaper)
I am trying this with the 7mm Soup Can mould available at Midsouth and the Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold C285-130-1R 284 Caliber, 7mm (285 Diameter) 130 Grain.

I have about 6 different bullets loaded and ready to test. Most are from discontinued moulds that owners were nice enough to cast for me and send samples.

I have a personal problem in that I am disabled from spinal tumors. I am out of the wheel chair after a few years post surgery, but still need a cane, and can't hump the equipment. I go solo sometimes, but it is a lot easier when I have help. (I live in West Hills CA, and shoot at Angeles Ranges).

I ordered more brass from SSA, and the 7mm round nose mould, and will load a bunch of them and try to test all my 6.8 cast loads at once. I target 2200fps, and then a series of lighter loads to see what will cycle the rifle (eject and pick up next round from mag). I am using a SPCII in carbine length. the longer impulse as opposed to a rifle length gas system should allow lighter loadings. (My CLE SPR barrel in 5.56 has an 18" barrel but a rifle length gas system, and is sensitive to loads. I even opened up the gas port (with advice from Frank at CLE) to .106

I get gas checks at MidSouth

I am honcho'ing a group buy at castboolits.com. Please go there for info on the mould. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=1216852&postcount=1
If you want in, post your email (broken up) THERE.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

·
9,187 Posts
Thanks. Somehow last night I missed the 270 gas checks @ midsouth.

You need to edit your sigline. Not only are you pushing the limits of my patience but you are also in violation of an established EE rule. IN fact I will do it for you.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Mmmm kay, I'm just glad to hopefully have some cheap plinking stuff. Anybody know what the best alloy or mix ratio is for casting bullets? I should have good access to old wheel weights so if they work I'll be good to go. Also I guess the sizing is pretty necessary? Will it work on a regular single stage press? The only cast bullets I ever fooled with were some I picked up for my 44mag, but I got pretty poor accuracy with them and gave up. I don't know, but it seems kind of neat to cast your own bullets even if its just for SHTF or beer can killing...

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I am also interested in cast bullets. I have access to alot of lead wheel weights.
do you use straight lead? or is it alloyed to make it harder? if so alloyed with what?
How bad is fouling?
how well do round nose bullets feed from a mag?

I like the idea of 110gr bullets... But will they work in a 1:12 twist spc II barrel?

Ok that's phase one of question time...LOL

·
Registered
117 Posts
In the locked thread, morme said straight wheel weights are fine, and suggested dropping in water as they come out of the mould. He also mentioned someone who makes sizers for around $25.

·
9,187 Posts
From my limited knowledge you would need to:
1. Make sure of the lead of the wheel weights.
2. You would add "antimony" to balance out the alloy and help with the hardness.

But I am going off of limited knowledge here.

·
Super Moderator
22,097 Posts
Soft lead (more "pure") is "more gooder" for black powder shooting. Tin/antimony added to it hardens it to be more suited for modern cartridges. Here's a little bit for yaz...

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anybody know what the best alloy or mix ratio is for casting bullets?

Wheel Weights is/are good. Start here http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm

Also I guess the sizing is pretty necessary?

No, except a sizing die is needed to crimp gas checks on. $25

Will it work on a regular single stage press?

I reload on a dillon, but bought the cheapest Lee single stage for sizing. The punch installs in the place of a standard shellholder

The only cast bullets I ever fooled with were some I picked up for my 44mag,

Most of my pistol loads are cast. I used to buy them 500 at a time, but now I make my own.
Here is a mould I have on order
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=1248488&postcount=575
it will cost more than all my other dies by a large margin ($155)

go to castboolits and read the stickies. they will help a lot

·
Super Moderator
22,097 Posts
In the locked thread, morme said straight wheel weights are fine, and suggested dropping in water as they come out of the mould. He also mentioned someone who makes sizers for around $25.
One should be mindful of which type of wheel weights... stick on weights are softer (closer to being pure lead).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah, I pull out the stick on wheel weights. I melt them separately for blackpowder.

The rest I melt in a cheap low power hot plate, with a 5" sauce pan I bought at GoodWill for $2.50. Its slow, but thats good because it won't melt the zinc wheel wights. I've heard if you melt one of them into the lead ones, it will ruin the batch, and they won't cast well. I can spot steel wheel weights easy enough before melting, but I'm not so good at spotting the zinc ones. If you keep the heat low, the zinc ones just float to the top and don't melt. Then I poor it into an old muffin pan to make ingots.

I have a Lee Pro-IV bottom pour lead pot (around $55), that I use for casting.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Anyone interested in casting should spend some time at Castboolits..... GREAT bunch of guys there, MUCH knowledge.
I think some here would be down right surprised at what you can do with a hard cast lead bullet.
The right bullet, sized properly for your bore, with the right twist rate, with the right powder and charge weight = shooting just as accurate as copper jacketed bullet with comparable velocities.

When you have someone like morme and others working on a project like this, only good things can happen.
In looking at the picture of the bullets and seeing the thought that went into the bullet design, it is off to a good start. Notice how the bullet design is set up to be compatible to the Spec II chamber when loaded to mag length.... some thought went into the mold.

·
9,187 Posts
Anyone interested in casting should spend some time at Castboolits..... GREAT bunch of guys there, MUCH knowledge.
I think some here would be down right surprised at what you can do with a hard cast lead bullet.
The right bullet, sized properly for your bore, with the right twist rate, with the right powder and charge weight = shooting just as accurate as copper jacketed bullet with comparable velocities.

When you have someone like morme and others working on a project like this, only good things can happen.
In looking at the picture of the bullets and seeing the thought that went into the bullet design, it is off to a good start. Notice how the bullet design is set up to be compatible to the Spec II chamber when loaded to mag length.... some thought went into the mold.
That is great to know and hopefully we can exchange ideas and techniques. I have had lots of luck with 44 mag gas checked and 45/70 lead bullets. Although they are not my own it is another technique that is useful to know. 44mag was of course out of a rifle not just a pistol.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Castboolits is indeed a good place. I have been casting for abt 40 years. I currently make projectiles for 9mm, 40, 41, 44, and 45 pistols as well as 30, 366, 375, 416, 458 and 476 rifle.

In general real wheel weights are fine for casting rifle bullets ... do sort out the sticky back weights as they are pure lead and chuck all of the zinc stuff when you smelt them.

Bullet lube is a very important element of a good cast bullet load. After years of using the NRA Beeswax/Alox formula I have switched to Carnauba Red lube for everything I make. (Is so close to as good as Felix Lube that it's not worth making your own.) Works for pistol all the way through high velocity rifle. Good to better than 2500 fps with wheel weights.

The most accurate rifle I have for cast slugs is a .376/.416 Steyr improved (a .376 Steyr necked up to .416). My moderate load pushes a 400 grainer at over 2000 fps ... and has shot some good groups:

(The group at the upper end of the diamond is a 6.8 group shot with 110 SPHs from an 18" WOA bbl.)

Have put my name on the 6.8 group buy on Castboolits ... and am looking forward to playing with them. Would love to have a plinker that is really cheap to shoot!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts