6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know. I must be mentally ill, but I really LIKE the little Ruger Minis.
I own three of them (a Mini Thirty, a standard model in .223, and a Target model in .223).
Now I am considering their 6.8 SPC model.
Anyone have any knowledge, experience, or opinions on that particular rifle?

·
Registered
262 Posts
harles said:
I own three of them (a Mini Thirty, a standard model in .223, and a Target model in .223).
No experience with their 6.8, but what with the lousy experiences I've had with their Mini-14 and Ruger Mk II pistol, I doubt I'd buy and Ruger product. Maybe they've improved?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
billclo said:
No experience with their 6.8, but what with the lousy experiences I've had with their Mini-14 and Ruger Mk II pistol, I doubt I'd buy and Ruger product. Maybe they've improved?
Wow. I am sorry you have had a bad time with your Rugers. I own six Rugers, and have had nothing but good experiences with them. My 5.5" bull barrel Mk II Target model is one of my all time favorite guns! I guess that is why there are so many makers out there...
...something for everyone!
:D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Harles,

I have had nothing but good experiences with my 6.8 mini-14. When it was new it shot
4 to 5 inch groups. After about 60 rounds and some cleaning the groups shrunk to an
inch and a half or better with some reloads. Some people love to bash mini's. but I
think many of them have had no experience with them. My mini is nearly as accurate
as my 6.8 ar-15 with the heavier Ko-tonics barrel. I have found that my mini is easier
to carry around the boonies, just as easy to shoot and accurate enough to hit small
targets at over a hundred yards. Whats not to like?

A few years ago Ruger did some improvements on the mini that tightened up groups
from around four inches to 2 inches or less. The only thing I don't like about it
is there are no magazines for the mini in 6.8 larger than five rounds.

Jeff M

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nice to hear that Ruger may have improved the Mini then. Mine were minute of barn-door, no matter the ammo tried. 6-12" groups at 100 yards were common. Never did find any high-cap mags that were reliable, and for sure, Bill Ruger's sellout on the AWB (no selling high-cap mags to we peons, only LEO) kinda peed in my Cheerios.

Let's hear other experiences with the apparently re-designed Mini.

·
Registered
646 Posts
jmarston said:
I have had nothing but good experiences with my 6.8 mini-14...

...The only thing I don't like about it

Jeff M
+1 on both points!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think as a ranch, trunk or brush gun the Mini 6.8 is a nice fit. The new ones will get close to 1 moa which or anything inside 200 is fine. Its funny how much acceptable accuracy has changed. At the turn of the century 1 MOAs was good enough for Snipers bolt guns shooting all the way out to 800+ which I consider precision type work. Now we would be pissed i a bolt gun for that wouldn't hold .5 at least to close to 300 and even past. Decent hunting guns a were 3 moa or under. Now if a gun doesn't shoot 1 moa or under its considered low end accuracy. Not a bad thing as it shows the quality is going up. Price to unfortunately. But if it got the job done then I have a hard time thinking it won't still do just as well. Our standards may have changed but the targets size or what it takes to put them down haven't.. On deer and hog size game anything holding 2 moa will stay in the vitals under 300 yard for the most part which in 90% of all hunting is where most shots are taken under. We just except smaller groups becasue there are guns now capable that are in the main stream. The AR platform is one of the most accurate auto loaders there is. The only one that comes to mind that is better is the PSG from HK and its over 10 K to purchase. For 2K you can be into a consistent .5 moa shooter in just about any short action cartidge in an AR with a match barrel if you know where to shop. For a tough hard use /abuse gun that is going to get kicked around the Mini is a good choice IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
jmarston said:
Harles,

I have had nothing but good experiences with my 6.8 mini-14. When it was new it shot
4 to 5 inch groups. After about 60 rounds and some cleaning the groups shrunk to an
inch and a half or better with some reloads.

A few years ago Ruger did some improvements on the mini that tightened up groups
from around four inches to 2 inches or less. The only thing I don't like about it

Jeff M
I haven't reloaded any yet, but after firing and cleaning a few times, it seemed to improve as yours did.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wlhawk,

I like my mini-14 as much as I like my very accurate AR, but for slightly different reasons. I found I could get surprisingly
small groups using the iron sights on the rifle. I have heard from other people that this rifle is as dependable as an AK.
Last but not least the mini-14 is easier to clean and it stays clean much longer than my AR. I love to shoot both my
mini-14 and my ar-15 and usually take them both whenevery I go shooting.
If you hear of any larger mags than those pathetic little five rounders please let me know.
Have fun with your rifle.

Jeff M

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good post Tim.

I shoot a Mini-30. What the bashers neglect to mention is that the first 3-4 shots from a cold barrel will usually result in a very small group. It's only the longer shot strings that open up due to the warm barrel.

The bashers seem to think that it takes more than 3-4 accurate shots to kill game.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yep that is what I have seen as well and has to do with the receiver setup ans it gets hot it basically causes the gun to act like the barrel is walking. What I say do to see its good accuracy is fire about 3 rounds to season the bore. Let it cool down to jsut slightly warmer then ambient temp then shot your group but take 1-2 mins between each shot.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
harles said:

My first centerfire rifle was a Mini-14, and while it may not be the most accurate firearm I own, the thing goes bang every time and I do not have issues with it. USE ONLY RUGER FACTORY MAGS, the aftermarket mags are horribly. That aside, for what it is, it is very good. I consider it a truck/ranch/utility rifle, it wont win a marksmanship match but it is reliable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys
I am new to this forum, this is actually my first post. I own a mini 30 that I just had re-worked by Accuracy systems Inc. Rechambered from 7.62 to 6.8. Gun comes with a sub moa guarantee. Have not shot it yet but plan to do so real soon. My big questions is what type of reload is best suited for this gun to use for White Tail Deer in southern Georgia? It was test fired with Hornady v-max 110 grain bullets. By the way I would not have spent the money having this gun re-worked if I did not like and enjoy shooting it so much. Any thoughts on the reloads would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
mini 30 hunter said:
Hi Guys
I am new to this forum, this is actually my first post. I own a mini 30 that I just had re-worked by Accuracy systems Inc. Rechambered from 7.62 to 6.8. Gun comes with a sub moa guarantee. Have not shot it yet but plan to do so real soon. My big questions is what type of reload is best suited for this gun to use for White Tail Deer in southern Georgia? It was test fired with Hornady v-max 110 grain bullets. By the way I would not have spent the money having this gun re-worked if I did not like and enjoy shooting it so much. Any thoughts on the reloads would be great. Thanks
Welcome aboard. The Sierra 110 Gr. Pro-Hunters are some of the best for hunting deer. They are very accurate and pretty cheap. Try some H322 powder and work your way up to 29 Gr.

·
Registered
928 Posts
My personal horror story with a ruger mini.
I was about 10 and my uncle's ranch rifle was slung over his shoulder. He knelt down to tie his boot and as he stood up, the strap broke. The rifle dropped less than a foot, onto soft dirt and it fired. Thank god the bullet missed both of us. No modifications, it was pure stock rifle, and yes the safety was on. That day, I vowed to never have a mini-14. I love my 10/22, 77/22 and M77 .308. But I just can't bring myself to trust a mini.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts