6.8 SPC Forums banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
It looks like the magazine is the same as a .308 length but utilizes a small block at the back of the box to limit the round movement front to back. I won’t have to be concerned about the bolt with the.224 V bolt. From what I have learned so far I should be able to just swap barrels and I’m good to go.
Just swap the barrels? Is that correct? It's my understanding with any Savage bolt action rifle, you'll need to make sure headspace is set correctly. But maybe I'm wrong or you plan to do so as part of the barrel swap.

I was really wanting to get in on this buy since I have a Savage .308 10T with a light weight MDT Chassis sitting idle. But checking headspace plus the work involved with changing out the barrel has held me back. Then again, maybe it's because I've never replaced a barrel on a bolt action rifle before.

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
Just swap the barrels? Is that correct? It's my understanding with any Savage bolt action rifle, you'll need to make sure headspace is set correctly. But maybe I'm wrong or you plan to do so as part of the barrel swap.

I was really wanting to get in on this buy since I have a Savage .308 10T with a light weight MDT Chassis sitting idle. But checking headspace plus the work involved with changing out the barrel has held me back. Then again, maybe it's because I've never replaced a barrel on a bolt action rifle before.
You loosen the barrel nut, unscrew the barrel. Install barrel nut on new barrel, screw barrel into receiver until it touches a go gauge and tighten down the barrel nut. The so called barrel nut is actually just a lock nut to keep the barrel where you want it for proper head space. Once you tighten the lock nut then just double check that it will close on a go and will not close on a no go. It is quite simple 15 minute job. Many shooters have been known to change calibers on the tailgate of their truck at certain types of matches.

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
Just to make it easier for anyone on the fence, I have the tool to hold the action, the barrel nut wrench and head space gauges I will loan out, just pay shipping and each person can use it and pass it along to the next member as long as they eventually end up back here. A good vice would be helpful. Once the barrels are shipped we can start another thread with a list of members who wish to use it.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I recommend everyone buy a extra barrel nut, Savage uses a Gorilla to install at the factory.

I have all the tools but several times had to use a 24" pipe wrench to get the factory nut off. Of course the factory barrel nut is thrown away. You can get better higher quality barrel nuts and recoil lugs.

I originally got my Savage 10T to use as a base for another 6.8. But the darn thing shoots sub half MOA using several types of factory 308 ammo. With a good muzzle brake I can shoot up to 60 rounds before the BAD shoulder starts hurting.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
To everyone adding on or joining late. I'm not sure if H has ordered or is ordering extra. Maybe he will post something about this here or you could email him to be added if he hasn't ordered the barrels yet.

I don't know if he's following this thread daily.

Glad to see all the interest tho

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
You loosen the barrel nut, unscrew the barrel. Install barrel nut on new barrel, screw barrel into receiver until it touches a go gauge and tighten down the barrel nut. The so called barrel nut is actually just a lock nut to keep the barrel where you want it for proper head space. Once you tighten the lock nut then just double check that it will close on a go and will not close on a no go. It is quite simple 15 minute job. Many shooters have been known to change calibers on the tailgate of their truck at certain types of matches.
Woodstock, thanks for the update on the process. Looks like an easy process.

·
Registered
13,751 Posts
To everyone adding on or joining late. I'm not sure if H has ordered or is ordering extra. Maybe he will post something about this here or you could email him to be added if he hasn't ordered the barrels yet.

A PO for 25 was sent out, there may be a few extra but would not count on it.

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
I put my name on the list just trying to help get the 25. I will remove my name until others have theirs. If any left I will pick one up.

·
Registered
127 Posts

I was originally down for 2, I'd like 3. However if there is not enough 2 it will be.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There will be 25 made plus whatever extras they run for a safety margin.
This is the list for first dibs, no maybe's.

The list, in alphabetical order:
AzCasper, 2
bedlamite, 1 (maybe 2)
BH Pilot, 1
Bladeslapper, 1 (maybe 2)
Buell056, 2
Chopperdrvr, 1
DHurt, 1
Dogcompany, 1
Equalizer_2, 1
greentick, 1
Lightscout, 2
Rick F, 1 (maybe 2)
Ryans1780, 1
semi_cop, 2, (possibly 3)
stooxie, 1
TLB2, 1
Txruger, 2
68spcHunter, 1
Am I correct in saying that 1, maybe 2 means I get 1 barrel?

·
Super Moderator
5,969 Posts
Am I correct in saying that 1, maybe 2 means I get 1 barrel?

Harrison submitted a P.O. for 25 barrels. Here is the list he posted minus the maybes. This list indicates 23 barrels spoken for with 2 remaining to total the 25 order.

IMO Tom/Woodstock spoke for one but removed himself. He should be # 24 a definite purchase out weighs our maybes.

AzCasper, 2
bedlamite, 1
BH Pilot, 1
Bladeslapper, 1
Buell056, 2
Chopperdrvr, 1
DHurt, 1
Dogcompany, 1
Equalizer_2, 1
greentick, 1
Lightscout, 2
Rick F, 1
Ryans1780, 1
semi_cop, 2
stooxie, 1
TLB2, 1
Txruger, 2
68spcHunter, 1

Total = 23

Leatherneck 1
Woodstock 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
625 Posts
Harrison submitted a P.O. for 25 barrels. Here is the list he posted minus the maybes. This list indicates 23 barrels spoken for with 2 remaining to total the 25 order.

IMO Tom/Woodstock spoke for one but removed himself. He should be # 24 a definite purchase out weighs our maybes.

AzCasper, 2
bedlamite, 1
BH Pilot, 1
Bladeslapper, 1
Buell056, 2
Chopperdrvr, 1
DHurt, 1
Dogcompany, 1
Equalizer_2, 1
greentick, 1
Lightscout, 2
Rick F, 1
Ryans1780, 1
semi_cop, 2
stooxie, 1
TLB2, 1
Txruger, 2
68spcHunter, 1

Total = 23

Is this the final list? I know I was a little late to commit, but I didn’t see my name on the list and with 2 barrels remaining, other than the maybes, I’m a little confused? Maybe I wasn’t clear enough in my post. If I missed it, so be it, but I am a definite for one if still available.

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
Is this the final list? I know I was a little late to commit, but I didn’t see my name on the list and with 2 barrels remaining, other than the maybes, I’m a little confused? Maybe I wasn’t clear enough in my post. If I missed it, so be it, but I am a definite for one if still available.
You are welcome to mine. I only put my name in to try and help get to the needed 25.

·
Super Moderator
5,969 Posts
This is who was on the list on 1/22 when Harrison posted there would be 25 on the P.O. and no Maybes.

It looks like you spoke for a barrel on the 24th, you and Tom/Woodstock would make the 25.

There are 3 others either asking to be added or adding an extra.

·
Super Moderator
5,969 Posts
It looks like to me, this is where the 25 come into play unless I overlooked someone.

Someone else please look the list over and see if you find any discrepancies.

This is the list from Harrison’s post when he stated the P.O. was for 25 and NO maybes.

Tom/aka Woodstock added his name to help make 25 and leatherneck spoke for a barrel

AzCasper, 2
bedlamite, 1
BH Pilot, 1
Bladeslapper, 1
Buell056, 2
Chopperdrvr, 1
DHurt, 1
Dogcompany, 1
Equalizer_2, 1
greentick, 1
Lightscout, 2
Rick F, 1
Ryans1780, 1
semi_cop, 2
stooxie, 1
TLB2, 1
Txruger, 2
68spcHunter, 1

Total = 23

Leatherneck 1 in on 1/24/2020
Woodstock 1 in on 1/24/2020

After those above we have 2 late comers on the 25th & 26th for 1 each and 1 requesting a 3rd on the 26th, as shown below.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I put my name on the list just trying to help get the 25. I will remove my name until others have theirs. If any left I will pick one up.

Very kind of you sir, but it sounds like that won’t be necessary. Thank you.

·
Registered
625 Posts
This is who was on the list on 1/22 when Harrison posted there would be 25 on the P.O. and no Maybes.

It looks like you spoke for a barrel on the 24th, you and Tom/Woodstock would make the 25.

There are 3 others either asking to be added or adding an extra.

Thank you for the clarification and addition.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts