6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking I want to have a bolt rifle that is off the shelf spot on. From what I have read and ask some bolt gun guys. It is a Savage with a trigger factory up grade. I could by a Remmy 700 receiver and build an expensive rifle. The thought is off the shelf. Any thoughts about a Another brand?.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Wait until real world reviews pile up for the Ruger Precision Rifle. Could be a good option if aftermarket stuff isn't a priority.

Heinous typos thanks to autocorrect.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The Sako TRG-22 or AI AX either one in 308 would be pretty tough to beat even with some full custom rifles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Most of my bolt rifles are custom built rem 700's or clones. I have been around a couple of Cooper rifles that the owners didn't want to wait on a build & they are nice & they shoot. Might not be exactly what your talking about price wise but they are off shelf. Good luck.

http://cooperfirearms.com/

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
Savage is pretty tough to beat for off the shelf accuracy and a great price compared to some of the others. It would be my first choice. Nothing wrong with the accu-trigger if you like them, I prefer to install a Timney in it's place myself and that is a fairly cheap upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
I guess the question would be: What are the intended uses? If hunting, I would think the Ruger Precision Rifle would be a little on the heavy side at 10-11lbs without optics.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I have three remington 700 blueprinted into very accurate platforms. They are expensive.
But as of today I am convinced the best value out of the box comes from the savage precission carbine. It takes AI mags, the accustock is not the best in the world but it does make a difference and the entire system is pretty accurate for what it costs it allows anyone on a budget to take a rifle out of the box and go do precission and lomg range shooting. I would make sure that it has a good steel mount bedded to the action and quuality glass and mounts also made of steel. Savage like remys are time tested and battle proven. No matter if one gets the new ruger or the savage pc one will have to spend more in the glass if one is serious about precision shooting.
And depending on your experience perhaps the most overlooked item of all is acquiring some professional training with an experienced instructor. We focus a lot on the equipment and forget about the training that is the most important part. Both classroom and then going on the ground ideally one on one with a skilled professional and then the hits will come naturally. Alternating distances, changing conditions including weather, extending
the shots... all those things require training, study and practice. Many rifles today shoot better than the shooters themselves.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Absolute best is a GAP rifle. Completely different price point, but with 0.5MOA guarantee, and everything done to it, not all that expensive.

I feel the R700 has been eclipsed by many cheaper actions (savage axis, 110/10, Tikka, Sako, Ruger PRS, etc) and is no longer the standard. Other than being the Chevy 350 of rifle actions, as far as aftermarket and potential goes, the R700 still takes a lot of skilled work to get you there.

I think by picking a decent brand and more focus on caliber will get you what you want rather than just worrying about the rifle. Remington botched their attempt with the 260, but it's a great round. I do prefer the R700 LA to the savage though. Seems though that the long action is not as popular as it once was.

-X

·
Registered
435 Posts
The best off the shelf rifle is both subjective and will depend on intended use. For hunting purposes, I have a thing for Winchester Classic Featherweights. I don't do long range precision other than the ability to place first round fatal shots on animals, so I can't comment.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Tikka T3 or Howa for a budget, Tikka CTR if you want to splurge. Rack the action on any of these and you will be sold.

I've had custom Savages and 700s, the Savage was a better rifle but lost my A when it sold. Easy to swap barrels without a Smith.

Figure truing the action and replacing the trigger on a new 700 unless you get lucky with a good one out the box. I'd look for a used hunting rifle out of a pawn shop for the action and send it to Patriot Valley Arms or LRI for a build.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Absolute best is a GAP rifle. Completely different price point, but with 0.5MOA guarantee, and everything done to it, not all that expensive.

I feel the R700 has been eclipsed by many cheaper actions (savage axis, 110/10, Tikka, Sako, Ruger PRS, etc) and is no longer the standard. Other than being the Chevy 350 of rifle actions, as far as aftermarket and potential goes, the R700 still takes a lot of skilled work to get you there.

I think by picking a decent brand and more focus on caliber will get you what you want rather than just worrying about the rifle. Remington botched their attempt with the 260, but it's a great round. I do prefer the R700 LA to the savage though. Seems though that the long action is not as popular as it once was.

-X
As soon as the last of my student loans are paid, a GAP will be entering my stable. Fantastic rifles for a "nominal price" in comparison to some other customs.

I have always been a Remington 700 man. They really are pretty accurate out of the box for everyday 200-300 yrd shots. If you want a 1000 yrd gun you can get them there with a little gunsmith work.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am thinking I want to have a bolt rifle that is off the shelf spot on. From what I have read and ask some bolt gun guys. It is a Savage with a trigger factory up grade. I could by a Remmy 700 receiver and build an expensive rifle. The thought is off the shelf. Any thoughts about a Another brand?.

Not knowing your budget, I love my Ruger American in .270 that I got for $299. Not the most accurate but I still get 1.5" at 100 yards. Plenty good for hunting. Value is excellent but there are better off the shelf bolt rifles out there.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Kind of depends on what you what to do with the rifle. I own 3 Savage rifles for target action. I like Weatherby rifles for hunting rifles.
I would not take the Weatherby to a Highpower competition and I would not take a Savage Target rifle hunting.
Right in between I like the Savage FCP police sniper rifle but if you were going to use it a lot for hunting and target you would want to change the stock. I put mine in a MacMillian stock.
If you have unlimited funds what the hell call GA. I would really love to have a Hospitaler but dang they are dear.

·
Registered
566 Posts
For me, if you can't just readily dump over $1,000 on a rig, then here's your answer.

(Howa) Weatherby Vanguard Series II ...... in 30-06.

I painted the stock FDE with Aluma-Hyde. Sub-MOA, as one would expect. The trigger comes stock at under 3lbs, and is the best stock trigger on a rifle under $1,000 I have ever tried. Topped it off with a DNZ mount and Vortex Diamondback 4-12x scope.

That rifle will take down any game in North America quite handily. 30-06 is also something you will always find.

·
Registered
64 Posts
++ Savage, not the most elegant rifle but mine have been shooters.

I have 4 actions and more than a few barrels, they're fun to tinker with. The rifles seem to end up with Timney triggers and Boyds laminate stocks but I started with the least expensive sometimes used non-accutrigger models I could find, intending to upgrade. Most of the 10/11/110/111 etc. actions/barrels are more or less the same as far as I can tell.

Not familiar with the Axis line.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
depends on luck too, I bought a "blemished" Remington 700ADL from wally world ($377) in 270winchester a few years back (it actually has a slightly heavier profile barrel than the standard too, just what it came with)....it has a cheepo cabalas caliber specific scope (4-16) that I picked up on close out for $69, Total cost was $450 OTD ...I made sure the barrel was free floated from the stock by clearanceing any contact points, and adjusted the stock trigger for a lighter pull..its a shooter with 150 ABLR bullets ...just goes to show that more $$ isn't always better

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Rob,
Sorry I meant to say the AI AE not the AX unfortunately they have been discontinued. Both options I listed are expensive but you get what you pay for and there were no compromises made with either the TRG-22 or the AI rifles and the resale value of both reflect it. As others have stated the Savage rifles are capable of outstanding accuracy and I love mine to but they are not without thier weaknesses. I own a savage 110FP in 300WM that is capable of .250" MOA at 200 yards with Nosler Trophy grade 180 AB factory loads and .375" MOA with Winchester 180 grain ballistic silvertip factory loads. It shoots better than many rifles costing 5 to 6 times more BUT the barrel copper fouls terribly bad and once fouled the accuracy goes way south. So the delima is how do you replace a barrel that shoots so wonderfully accurate?
The other problems I have with Savage and Remington rifles is and I own several of both as soon as most people buy one they start replacing triggers and stocks and looking into ways to correct the machining specs of the receivers. So really one has to consider what the additional cost a quality trigger a replacement for the "Rubbermaid" trashcan stock, additional machine work to the receivers and possibly a quality match barrel will cost compared to getting all those things from the start.
The biggest problem for both Rem and Savage is the barrels as in how easily they foul and how difficult it is to remove the fouling. Another thing to consider is how many rounds can be fired though the barrel at top accuracy before it declines and has to be cleaned to return that accuracy. I have a Model 700 SPS in 308 that took nearly 800 rounds through the barrel before it really stopped fouling to the point that it needed to b cleaned during range trips. It will now hold top accuracy from first shot to around 80 to 100 rounds before needing the bore scrubbed.
After saying all of that I personally won't be buying anymore rifles I expect to use as a precision or mostly target rifle that need to have many enhancements and after market parts for it to meet the initial requirement.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Tikka T3...pick your flavor between the CTR, varmint, or Lite depending on your application.

GAPrecision if you must have the absolute best.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
A buddy shoots long distance, told me a Savage out of the box so I bought one.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts