6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm done with CFE 223. Apparently you just can't get enough in the case to make proper pressure. Too bad because it looks like there's a potential for accuracy. Left group 3 shots, right group 5 shots. One fail to feed, ejecting at 3 oclock, and the bolt doesn't lock back. But wow, when you get 3 making one hole you sure wish you could erase the other two.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
H322 looks more promising. This was the first trial, function was perfect, ejected at 4 oclock in just about one pile. and the bolt locked back every time. One sub moa group, one just over 1 moa.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I’ve started working with H322 and it hasn’t shown much promise yet. I haven’t given up on it but I have also started working with WC 844 and it’s looking like it might have promise for the 90g Gold Dots.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I have my best luck with RL7 and 4198 with the Gold Dots

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Haven’t tried them yet but they’re on my list. RL 7 will be next because I have it in stock. 😊

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Understood... that's the reason for me trying CFE 223. My LGS has gone nuts on powder pricing; when I finally broke down and bought the H 322 to try, they hit me for for $43.00. I know I didn't have to buy it but I was eager to have some new loads to ttry on my planned range trip. I won't be buying anymore like that though, I'm just going to have to place a significant order and make the hazmat worthwhile.

·
Registered
138 Posts
H322 works well for me. Worked up to 31grains with no pressure signs. @ Right at 1" for 5 shots with an average velocity of 2837 and a sd of 10.8. I have a 16" YHM barrel and the best it seems to get with any load is right at 1".

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, 31 grains is where I hope to get to, 30.5 didn't show any signs of excessive pressure. Next exercise will be to shoot 30.6 gr.s, 30.8 and 31 grains. After that I may play with different primers but if I can get 1 moa or a little under consistently it'll be my go to hunting load.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Have you tried AA2200? It has proven for many to deliver decent accuracy and high velocity for this bullet.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope, not yet. LGS didn't have it, going to have to go into the big city before I try that I guess. If I work up an online order I may get some.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Have you tried AA2200? It has proven for many to deliver decent accuracy and high velocity for this bullet.
I have never seen AA2200 around here. Can get pretty much any other powder but not that one. H322 has been good to me with 110 grain bullets and seems to do well with the 90 grain gold dots. Just started playing with them these past few months.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So, I'm done with CFE 223. Apparently you just can't get enough in the case to make proper pressure. Too bad because it looks like there's a potential for accuracy. Left group 3 shots, right group 5 shots. One fail to feed, ejecting at 3 oclock, and the bolt doesn't lock back. But wow, when you get 3 making one hole you sure wish you could erase the other two. View attachment 60201
H4198!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually started off with H4198, my barrel didn't seem to like it. I had one load that made a 1 1/8" group. All the others ran from 1 1/2" to over 2".

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I have some. I've been using it to work up a load with 110 grain Hornady BTHPs.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Need to buy your powder online, via phone from wholesellers and in bulk from your lcoal gun shop. I have a set buy of 25,000 primers from one vendor (have other regular set orders of components and ammo) every 90 days of which I split half with friends to help them buy cheap and help me keep my volume up so each of us save money. If willing to buy 32 pound lots there are several vendors selling powder for $15 per pound. There is a seller in Dallas TX area that sells select powders as low as $5 per pound but have 32 pound minimum per type. I just ordered 32 pounds of H355 which has proven to be a good powder for 223/5.56, 22 Nosler, 224 Valkyrie, 22-250, 6mm PPC, 260 Rem, 6.8 spc II, 7mm-08, 30 Rem, 30-30 and 308 from my bench notes and sure it will do well with others.

Find a group of a half dozen or so reloaders and start your own mini co-op. Everyone makes a list of what they need and how much then lead person makes the buy. I now have ten reloaders in my co-op which combined they buy just under half of my total orders but by doubling my regular consumption it makes bigger vendors willing to do business with me. During Sandy Hook and now with the flu shortage people complained about availability of Unique pistol powder. I always had an order placed for multiple kegs thus it kept coming. Not always as much as wamted but enough so my back inventory was not depleted. Sometimes have to split an eight pound keg in half or such but by loading in bulk and buying for a group, can get really good prices by sharing with friends.

Same with primers, I was not having issues with purchases of 5,000 at a time to fill in when run short of a single type but last week tried to order 5,000 to be told seller was out. Called the vendor order 25,000 every 90 days to tell them needed 5,000 lare rfile to tide me overy to next big order and they were happy to send them. Bought 10,000 CCI #41 primers at a really nice price a couple weeks ago from another vendor. If buying powder by the single pound jugs are backing up unless special circumstance. Last fall had a local gun shop decide to stop selling reloading products and was able to buy over 100 pounds in one pound jugs for $5 each but had to buy all his powder, primers, projectiles and even die sets but sold what I didn't need for a profit on discussion forums.

Reloading for savings means bulk and when find a deal buy heavy. Handloading for accuracy can buy small lots but cost will be same as commercially loaded ammo. I recently purchased 2,000 new 6.8 cases at a fair price but not cheap, loaded with 2,000 110 grain Gold Dots and total price for new cases, primers, powder and projectiles I was able to buy loaded 6.8 commercial ammo about four cents per round cheaper in 2,000 count quantity. Reloading/handloading does not save much over buying bulk unless buy components in bulk and still is close. I have seven progressive presses, three turret presses, five single stage, two progressive shotshell presses, bullet swaging presses, casting (five big bottom pour furnaces) as till make your own projectiles real savings is hard to realize.

Still have a large pile of IMI 5.56 and 7.62 where purchased a 55,000 round pallet of M855 and 40,000 round pallet of M80 in 1999 in case the Y2K fears were realized. When dig that deep distributors will send you anything or move you to top of the list. Find a vendor you like, be loyal, buy often, buy large quantities and when there are shortages you will be on their list of people to make happy.

Even at local gun shop level when they get a shipment of ammo/powder/primers, I get a text asking how much/many I want put on shelf in back before it goes out front for people to grab their one or two pounds and single box of primers if I don't buy it all. I have 20 year supply of components in the house now and still buy regular restocking orders. Dropped down to just over a decades supply by end of Sandy Hook but kept shooting 500 rounds of centerfire pistol, 300 of rifle and 200 of entry level match rim fire the entire panic while selling cheap rim fire to subsidize cost of restocking when panic ended. Bulk is the only way to guarantee out lasting panics and shortages while keeping cost low enough to shoot regularly.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow ... you da bomb hueyville! I think my wife would keel over if a truck showed up in my driveway with a 55000 round pallet of ammo!

Yeah, I know a couple of guys in the area that reload but they're small potatos. I wouldn't want to count on them for half of a very large order, but what you're doing is awesome and it makes me remember a guy in a nearby town that is a wholesaler. His real business is online but a friend told me he's a friendly sort of guy and doesn't mind local shooters showing up at his warehouse to buy smaller quantities. I think I'll run that lead down, thanks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just try to figure out what I’ll need and what I’ll want, and then put in one or two Large reloading component orders a year. I keep a running list, snd as soon as there’s a sale or free shipping or free hazmat (or the trifecta of all three!) I put in my order.

Frankly, with the large markup on powder I see at most brick and mortar places, evening paying shipping plus hazmat puts me way ahead if I buy 10 pounds of various powder plus a few thousand primers.

if I waited to buy A2200 until I saw some in store I’d never have any.

·
Registered
96 Posts
How can I get the name of the powder dealer in Dallas? I’m local and have a few friends that reload. We could easily hit the 32 lb mark.

·
Registered
206 Posts
How can I get the name of the powder dealer in Dallas? I’m local and have a few friends that reload. We could easily hit the 32 lb mark.
No kidding, who’s the dealer?

At $5 a pound I’d order 32 lbs of H355 for myself. And gladly pay shipping plus Hazmst.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts