6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at Amazon for a set of stones for sharpening Tactical, Hunting, Cooking knives. I see everything from 300, 600, 1000, 3000, 6000 and 8000 grit.

Educate me PALEEZE :)

·
Super Moderator
21,508 Posts
The short answer to what information you've given is: smaller the number, rougher the stone.

1. Why "stones"? And, are you locked in to those only?
2. What grind are these knives? Single bevel, Saber, Scandinavian, Bevel/micro (secondary) bevel, convex? (If you don't know, spend some time on Google to learn their definitions)
3. Are you bringing back an edge, or reprofiling, or repairing damaged edges, or changing their profile?
4. How much time and focus are you willing to invest?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been lurking here for a while, learning about the 6.8... I do know something about sharpening a blade, so I can finally offer advice!
I am a fan of Dia Sharp diamond hones. I have a fine and a course in a 3”x6” size. They keep my edges shaving sharp. I have even put a shaving edge on an axe. They work!

·
Registered
497 Posts
To freehand with wetstones takes lots of practice. Plenty of youtube vids to get you started. Recommend one of the inexpensive sharpening kits so you can get your angles right. If you got the money, a wicked edge or lansky system are good bets. YouTube TheApostleP for a good guide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have about every sharpening stone one can imagine. I sharpen knives, woodworking tools, and so on. I would guess you need to sharpen std double bevel blade. I my opinion I would recommend getting sharpening fixture with a carbide “V” . You can pull your knife blade through it about three times and it will give a great edge. Also, you can buy them for about five dollars.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the replies guys. I do pretty good with my Ken Onion Work Sharp and the portable Work Sharp. I do like the Wicked Edge and Edge Pro setups, but they are pricey!!!

·
Super Moderator
21,508 Posts
thanks for all the replies guys. I do pretty good with my Ken Onion Work Sharp and the portable Work Sharp. I do like the Wicked Edge and Edge Pro setups, but they are pricey!!!
Reason I was asking my questions... I was going to suggest the Ken Onion Work Sharp, with the accessory attachment, and a leather strop board. Stones are great for single bevels on a wood working plane iron and wood chisels. A lot of time and hand/eye skills for knives.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Recommend one of the inexpensive sharpening kits so you can get your angles right.
I have something to share along those lines. A barber I know (barber, not a salon) sharpened a blade free hand (not at the barber shop). I asked how do you get it sharp. He said the angle has to be right, and it is about 17 degrees. He said think of a book of matches. So picture that when you are just cleaning your Leathermen real quick. Or a nice Gerber folding knife.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reason I was asking my questions... I was going to suggest the Ken Onion Work Sharp, with the accessory attachment, and a leather strop board. Stones are great for single bevels on a wood working plane iron and wood chisels. A lot of time and hand/eye skills for knives.
Thanks Ratdog68. Yes the Work Sharp does a great job, but sometimes idle hands need something to keep them out of trouble :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts