6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new on here and have been looking into a new AR build I have built 3 in the last 3 weeks I'm slightly addicted to say the least I have 556, 223, and 264lbc, my next will be either a 6.5grendel, 450bushmaster, or 6.8spc. I hand load so ammo abundance is not an issue. I also like odd calibers thrust the reason for these as a choice. It will primarily be a deer rifle for my girl with a max range of 300 but more than likely half that but I have a hard time seein the advantage of the 6.8 over the 6.5 so I'm askin that someone please explain or show me the benefits thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The biggest advantage over the 6.5 is bullet selection. There are a lot of hunting bullets designed for proper expansion at 6.8 velocities. some 6.5 bullets are designed for much higher velocities and give poor expansion. That and a 95 gr ttsx at 2850fps is just impressive on deer.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hits hard, low recoil, retail ammo at places like academy, the 120 SST loves the velocity range of the 6.8. I can say a lot about 6.8 but for the handloader their are many choices. The .223 is an obsolete for a handloader hunter other than cheap ammo, unless a scare is on, why use it when you have the 6.8 and .277 Wolverine that easily take deer without having to be a scout sniper to place your shots. Now you wanna step up the range and power? 7mm Valkerie AR 140gr bullet over 2500fps, yea I'll take that. It's to each his own but all calibers I mentioned are in my opinion your best spectrum in the AR-15 for hunting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the .277 wolverine? Does the 6.8 really shoot that much faster and hit harder than my 264lbc with 123gr Amax and sst's?

·
10,536 Posts
The 6.8 makes a carbine into a fantastic rifle with accuracy and energy. The differences when comparing 6.5G/264lbc are decided by barrel length.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I will tell you the reasons for me purchasing a 6.8 for my daughter's first hunting rifle and maybe that will help you out a bit. First off, my daughter is a bit on the small side (so was I when at her age but she has no where near my strength). She is almost 13 and is still under 5".

I chose a 6.8 for her because I wanted something that was fairly light weight (it weighs near the same as my Tikka T3 Lite 270WSM although I have not weighed either to verify). Most of the deer/elk I have seen have been within 200 yards and that is limit I am comfortable with her shooting (although some on this site have posted pictures of 300-375 yard shots on elk if I recall correctly). For this reason I wanted a round that would keep good energy past 300 yards. Being that she is on the petite/small side, I wanted a round that was accurate out of a shorter barrel (16") rifle. I wanted something that she was familiar with and not scared of shooting (she is used to shooting my 223/556 which also lets her practice on the same platform without shooting good hunting rounds). I wanted something that would grow with her (collapsible stock helps with that). And I wanted something forgiving with recoil. With all of that, I also wanted her to have something that was multipurpose for when she leaves me to find her own way.

I did have her hold my dad's 243 but for her it was heavy and too long. Overall the 6.8 fits my specifications for her better than any other rifle on the market (plus I get to play with it). I put a Leupold VX1 3-9x40 on it and could not be happier with the choice. She actually loves the rifle and her first outing with it she got mad at me for taking it away to site it in (she put almost 2 boxes of ammo through it herself that first day). And I also do like the semi odd rounds, hence my multi purpose 10mm side arm.

Good luck on your decision.

Oh, and my brother liked my daughter's rifle so much that he built a 16" for my nephew and an 18" for himself, both for hunting.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'm new on here and have been looking into a new AR build I have built 3 in the last 3 weeks I'm slightly addicted to say the least I have 556, 223, and 264lbc, my next will be either a 6.5grendel, 450bushmaster, or 6.8spc. I hand load so ammo abundance is not an issue. I also like odd calibers thrust the reason for these as a choice. It will primarily be a deer rifle for my girl with a max range of 300 but more than likely half that but I have a hard time seein the advantage of the 6.8 over the 6.5 so I'm askin that someone please explain or show me the benefits thanks

300 yards, I would mark off the 450 bushmaster. That round already rainbows for 200 yards and that is about the max you want to take it to. But man is it fun to shoot lol. Recoil is more than a 20ga but less than a 12ga, a recoil pad helps a lot. Decent projectile selection. Lil Gun is the go to powder for it. A few folks make barrels for them so prices vary from 200-400 with and without a bolt included. Dies are expensive and seems to be out of stock at all but a few places. Hornady is the best commercial ammo and really about the only on shelf ammo out there. Remington stuff is decent but not that great except for the brass.

The 6.8 is a 3-400 yard round, great for HD/SD, target and hunting. You get good velocity and accuracy out of the shorter barrels. Recoil is a little more than a 223/556. Good bullet selection. AA2200 is the go to powder. Dies are readily available. Commercial ammo is coming around. Federal, and Hornady are the ones I see the most on the shelf, followed by Remington.

No experience with the 6.5. I thought about, but to really use it potential, I wanted to shoot beyond 400 yards. CFE223 is the go to powder from what I have read. I haven't seen any commercial ammo except for wolf so.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I went with the 6.8 because of its versatility. Once you make the move and have the bolt, brass, and dies, you have all of the options of 277 bullet selection, cheap factory ammo, and effective hunting capability. I have used bullets from 85-120 grains to take various game from whitetail,hogs, to Axis. It is now my primary hunting round. Just can't say enough good things about the bullet selection for hunting.

With the 6.8 parent case there are numerous wildcats that branch off of it. I am interested in the 22, 30, and 35 versions off the 6.8. The bolt face size is just right for the AR15 platform to work with wildcats. To me, all of the middle size specific wildcats like the Grendle and Blackout, are only better in one area than the 6.8. BO at subsonic and 6.5 at extreme range under certain conditions. Even then, the 6.8 is very close or just as good. To me it is the starting point for an AR wildcat. The 35 wildcats are very close or better than the 450 and 458. The 30 wildcats smoke the BO. And on and on.

Barrel and bolt selection is outstanding as well as cost. Deals are almost as common for the 6.8 as 223. All components are now readily available.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like I asked the question at the right place you guys seem to be a plethora of info not only on the 6.8 but other calibers as well! Eventually I'll build them all just for the simple fact I like to shoot and collect and build in the gun yourself loading all the ammo for it just gives it a extra little meaning. Really the 450 was more for if I wanted to take the gun to Texas when we go visit her dad for hog hunting and if she shoots a deer with it chances are better I won't be looking all day for it she gets buck fever terrible regardless of it has antlers or not and sometimes forgets where it was standing luckily for her I was always with her but this year my son will be sitting with me so she's on her own. I never really considered the 300blk except for a 10.5" pistol or sbr not saying it can't do the job I just feel the others would do the job better. Another caliber I ran across that looks intriguing is the 6x45 if any of you guys/gals have any experience with it if like to know more about it. Thank you all so much for the information

·
Registered
374 Posts
i picked the 6.8 as my first and so far only build. Liked that it performs well in a short barrel. got an arp barrel and bolt, for a great price, and with handloads sub moa. For hunting what more can I ask for. Never had to shoot more then 150 yards in the past. Plus good bullet selection and commercial ammo, for brass.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ARP makes some great stuff that's who made my .264lbc barrel and its shot 1/4" group at 100 yards with ppu ammo working up some hand loads for it now

·
Registered
374 Posts
ARP makes some great stuff that's who made my .264lbc barrel and its shot 1/4" group at 100 yards with ppu ammo working up some hand loads for it now

you got lucky that factory ammo shoots that well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought the same. May have just got lucky with that box of ammo but I have 2 more from the same lot after the barrel break in figured I'd keep them for friends to shoot instead of my AMax and SST

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Because it just works. Great reasons stated above and all accurate. Key points (already stated too) better hunting bullet selection on the 6.8 than the 6.5 and far more efficient out of a short barrel while the 264 prefers longer barrels.
Last night all these hogs were taken between 100-250 yards. The important part is notice the barrel length of all the rifles. They are all 8.5" and 12.5". Btw one was shooting subsonics and one was a subsonic upper shooting supersonic bullets. All were complete pass through a except the subsonic rounds. Adaptability.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440949989.192469.jpg

·
Registered
345 Posts
I was in the same boat a few months back trying to decide between a 6.5 and 6.8 for my build. In the end I decided on the 6.8 because of the bullet variety, and its performance out of shorter barrels. If I wanted to carry around an 18"+ barreled deer gun I would have gone with the 6.5, but I was looking to build a 12.5" for ease in the brush and blinds. I shoot suppressed so what ever barrel length I chose, I had to add 6-7". I think in the end for a shorter (16" vs 18"+) barrel you would be better suited with the 6.8.

·
10,536 Posts
Looks like I asked the question at the right place you guys seem to be a plethora of info not only on the 6.8 but other calibers as well!
That is what separates this forum for others. Yes, we are fanboys, but not blind to other options. Shooters and hunters first.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I started hunting/shooting with my 6.8 after a neck injury that required disc fusion; I needed something with light recoil.
Since I already had a 556 AR, a 6.8 upper was a logical choice. I found out quickly that I was not at a disadvantage at all with my 6.8. Two deer in 8 days that only took 1 shot each made me a believer!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts