6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running a Surefire Socom 300 on their 6.8? I know Surefire makes a 6.8 specific, but I went with what was in-stock at my dealer for under $1000. I really didn't do much research (actually none at all). I just wanted a suppressor to switch between my 6.8 and 5.56, maybe a 7.62 in the distant future.

If anyone has one or has some significant time with one, I'd appreciate any feedback or tips (ie: gas block, charging handle, best ammo or some load data and what have ya).

·
Registered
700 Posts
Did you get the SOCOM2-300 or the original SOCOM-762 Mini? I think I remember H got a 7.62 mini, but could be wrong.

I don't have any experience with either of the above mentioned, but do have a SOCOM-68. I really like it and it does exactly what I need it to and has the features I was after. There are quiter cans out there, but I chose this one for it's size, weight, durability and mounting system. While I believe no suppressor is truly hearing safe, it can be shot comfortably without ear pro. It doesn't pretty well suppressing 5.56 as well, but much different tone than a 6.8. If you got the SOCOM2-300, I would expect it to be a little better due to higher volume (and size) than mine. One thing for sure, they are built rock solid and the mounting system is truly repeatable and less than 1 MOA shift, if any.

I'm in your area if you ever want to check it out before yours comes in. When did you submit your application?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you get the SOCOM2-300 or the original SOCOM-762 Mini? I think I remember H got a 7.62 mini, but could be wrong.

I don't have any experience with either of the above mentioned, but do have a SOCOM-68. I really like it and it does exactly what I need it to and has the features I was after. There are quiter cans out there, but I chose this one for it's size, weight, durability and mounting system. While I believe no suppressor is truly hearing safe, it can be shot comfortably without ear pro. It doesn't pretty well suppressing 5.56 as well, but much different tone than a 6.8. If you got the SOCOM2-300, I would expect it to be a little better due to higher volume (and size) than mine. One thing for sure, they are built rock solid and the mounting system is truly repeatable and less than 1 MOA shift, if any.

I'm in your area if you ever want to check it out before yours comes in. When did you submit your application?
It's the Socom2 300. I actually just dropped the paperwork off at the sheriff's office and got printed yesterday. Sending it off as soon as I get it back. I paid for the suppressor about a month ago, then had knee surgery and just haven't had the time to finish the process. I was hoping the mounting system was as repeatable as Surefire claims. I got to try out a few of their cans at a demo several years ago, but I didn't shoot more than a couple of mags, mainly .308. I was actually going to get the Recce 7, but that was on backorder, and I have no patience. It's hard enough having to wait for the stamp to come in.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Are you in Corpus?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Are you in Corpus?
Yes.

And and to add to the rest of your questions, an adjustable gas block is a good idea even on unsuppressed rifles. Surefire claims reduced back pressure compared to other cans, but there's still enough to overgas a normally properly gassed unsuppressed rifle. Not terrible, but it will speed up the bolt for sure. As far as charging handles go, I like the BCM Gunfighter Mod 4, but these are not chosen because of suppressor. I didn't do any of the RTV mods or anything to limit gas blowback. I do notice a little extra gas in the face with my SOCOM especially without adjustable gas block, but the adjustable block toned it down to a reasonable level.

Loads: shoot whatever you like, the suppressor does well with everything I've shot through it and the adjustable gas block allows you to fine tune it for the light loads. I have some load data I can share with you if you're interested. I have ARP chambers, a Stag and a Bushmaster Spec II, but haven't shot that one yet and plan to run mostly factory or generic loads through it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.