6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The host will be a LWRC Six8 A5 pistol with a 10.5" barrel firing commercial ammo. The suppressor will be a dedicated item to the firearm so modularity doesn't have value to me. The firearm is generally used for range and HD. Thanks in advance.... I have done a fair amount of internet searches but all the videos and stuff I see is regarding 556 or 300BO.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have 3 one Wilson combat whisper, one trash panda, and two oss 7.62 helix. The Wilson and trash panda sound really good. But the oss helix didn’t sound good. All are earing safe. But when I say sounds bad I mean how long the shot sound last and how it echoes. With the oss helix lasted longer and echo more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll admit I like the concept of the OSS but my understanding is that it's more effective on a DI gun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What are your priorities when it comes to the silencer?? OAL? Over all weight? Direct thread or QD? I have several 30 cal silencers that move between my 6.8spc rifles.

DeadAir SandmanK Pros- Light, Short, Great QD mount/muzzle devices Cons- Louder than a "normal" size silencer

DeadAir SandmanS Pros- Sounds great, Great QD mount/muzzle devices, Good balance of weight vs length Cons- Heavy on the end of a hunting rifle

DeadAir SandmanTi Pros- The best sounding DeadAir can I have, IMO. Direct Thread, a great choice for a dedicated silencer, minimal POI, Tough as nails Cons- Long and heavy for a hunting setup

Sico Omega Pros- Sounds good, short (in DT config), lighter weight, many mount options Cons- Has minimum barrel lengths, ASR mount is terrible for QD system, outer sleeve will sometimes separate

Sico Harverster 30 Pros- Sounds good, Light weight, Direct thread Cons- Long, The integrated brake is unneeded added length and I haven't noticed it make any difference in recoil

Sico Hybrid46 Pros- Versatile, Lots of mounting options, Sounds decent on most hosts Cons- Long, Heavy, Expensive for all those mounting options

·
Registered
114 Posts
I only have one: Rugged Razor 762. I really like its tone and suppression across all my rifles: 6.8, 300BO of various lengths, and 5.56 of various lengths. There are so many good choices out there today...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are your priorities when it comes to the silencer?? OAL? Over all weight? Direct thread or QD? I have several 30 cal silencers that move between my 6.8spc rifles.

DeadAir SandmanK Pros- Light, Short, Great QD mount/muzzle devices Cons- Louder than a "normal" size silencer

DeadAir SandmanS Pros- Sounds great, Great QD mount/muzzle devices, Good balance of weight vs length Cons- Heavy on the end of a hunting rifle
I was looking at these two recently. The suppressor will live on the gun so I'm not concerned about how it's on there. I find the piston guns are a bit nose heavy so it looks like I need to decide if weight or noise reduction is more important.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I have a Sandman Ti. As stated it is a direct thread so there is no additional cost for mounts and for a dedicated install it is possibly the best choice IMHO. I have used it on a couple of 6.8s and a 5.56. All were hearing safe.

I have been waiting just over a year now for a Q Full Nelson, it is also a direct thread but as I still have not received it I have no idea how it sounds.

Both of these weigh in at about 16 ounces. The only ones I saw in my limited experience that weighed less were shorter.

Reactions: kpz1234

·
Super Moderator
21,652 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Priorities on what to look for, IMO:
-30 caliber
-Warrantied for use on a 10.5" 6.8
-Weight

All else being equal, you will never regret paying a little more for a lighter can. Personally for a no-nonsense build where the can is going to live on the gun, I'd be looking at either a YHM Resonator, a Griffin Armament GP7, or the Dead Air Sandman Ti. The YHM does require the use of a QD mount, but that is not necessarily a bad thing; if you use the muzzle brake mount, then the mount becomes sort of a replaceable blast baffle that can take the brunt of the abuse from the short barrel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone have experience with the Nomad 30 (vs the Sandman Ti)?
I have no personal experience with the Nomad30, but based on its design, it has more internal volume, which is good for suppression, its lighter and shorter in DT config., and you have the ability to run DT or just about any other QD device you want. (This will add a considerable amount of length and weight)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a TBAC Ultra 7 .30 cal with a CB attachment that performs well for me on a variety of platforms. I started out thinking I was only going to get one suppressor, but I now have three more in the pipeline, in part because I picked up a 300 BO pistol that is hard on most cans with its 7" barrel. I like the accuracy, weight and size of the Ultra 7. I get you indicated that your intended use was a dedicated platform, but the ability to change up doesn't cost much more and having options in the future can be a good thing. The Ultra 7 says it is good for 10" barrel in 6.8 SPC but if you didn't want to push the limits, I suspect the new TBAC Dominus would be a little more robust.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Many many good suppressors out there. For my money, YHM Resonators cannot be beat. One of the best 308 attenuation ratings, very light, well made, and much less expensive than most. They are rated 300 RUM and I've shot them on a lightweight hunting rifle chambered in that caliber. The YHM can had no trouble taming that beast. I run them on everything from 223 up to 308 regularly.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My 2 cents from observation and not personal experience. I was at the range a week or so ago and a fellow was shooting suppressed, so I ask what the combo was. Remy 700 in 22-250 with a Dead Air Sandman Ti. I have a 22-250 and it is a wickedly loud rifle. This thing sounded like a pellet gun. Absolutely amazing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts