6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a question regarding suppressing really short ar15's. I'm talking 8-8.5" barrels. I'm currently building a 8" 5.56 SBR with another in 6.8 down the line. I was planning on suppressing these uppers about 50 percent of the time. No point in me using suppressors when I have guys at the range not using one while shooting next to me.

Anyway, I was told that these extremely short barrel rifles can be harsh on the can, especially the blast baffle. Here is why I think I still might be okay. The can I'm going to be using is a deadair armament sandman S. It's rated for .300 win mag and has no barrel length restrictions. I understand that there is a lot of blast coming out of a 8" 5.56 or a 8.5" 6.8, but I don't feel like it would be even close to a 24-26" .300 win mag or even a 16" .308. What do y'all think? Should I be okay suppressing this short of a barrel?

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
I've got a question regarding suppressing really short ar15's. I'm talking 8-8.5" barrels. I'm currently building a 8" 5.56 SBR with another in 6.8 down the line. I was planning on suppressing these uppers about 50 percent of the time. No point in me using suppressors when I have guys at the range not using one while shooting next to me.

Anyway, I was told that these extremely short barrel rifles can be harsh on the can, especially the blast baffle. Here is why I think I still might be okay. The can I'm going to be using is a deadair armament sandman S. It's rated for .300 win mag and has no barrel length restrictions. I understand that there is a lot of blast coming out of a 8" 5.56 or a 8.5" 6.8, but I don't feel like it would be even close to a 24-26" .300 win mag or even a 16" .308. What do y'all think? Should I be okay suppressing this short of a barrel?
You should call the manufacturer and ask them. If they say shoot away then

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
it also depends on the twist rate of the barrel in correlation to the length. most manufactures recommend the bullet gat at least one full rotation to stabilize the bullet to reduce the likely hood of a baffle strike.

my biggest concern in a baffle strike, not the pounding of the blast baffle personally.

·
Registered
349 Posts
it also depends on the twist rate of the barrel in correlation to the length. most manufactures recommend the bullet gat at least one full rotation to stabilize the bullet to reduce the likely hood of a baffle strike.

Myth...

Dont worry boss boss if the can is rated for it blast away. That is what warranty is for if something was to happen.
also yes a short bbl will be harder on a can but really it won't matter unless you shoot thousands of rounds. And in which case get it serviced.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Myth...

Dont worry boss boss if the can is rated for it blast away. That is what warranty is for if something was to happen.
also yes a short bbl will be harder on a can but really it won't matter unless you shoot thousands of rounds. And in which case get it serviced.
so your an expert on this? where is your evidence to back it up?

i don't claim to be an expert but this is what was told to me by a suppressor manufacturer and is the reason they don't warranty a suppressor used on barrels < 10"

·
Registered
349 Posts
so your an expert on this? where is your evidence to back it up?

i don't claim to be an expert but this is what was told to me by a suppressor manufacturer and is the reason they don't warranty a suppressor used on barrels < 10"
Compare your twist rate on a pistol barrel to the length.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Your not understanding.

Have u ever seen a suppressed 9mm or 45? What was the barrel length :)

Purposely not naming the .40 as its dumpster trash.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your not understanding.

Have u ever seen a suppressed 9mm or 45? What was the barrel length :)

Purposely not naming the .40 as its dumpster trash.
Never paid attention to twist on my actual pistol barrels. I just shoot them. I run H&K p30's and USP's most have between around 3.75-4.75" barrels I believe. Never been interested in handgun suppressors a whole lot. I'm going to pick up that new pistol silencer from dead air though, it looks promising. I'm assuming they don't do but a half revolution though from looking down the one while cleaning.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Never paid attention to twist on my actual pistol barrels. I just shoot them. I run H&K p30's and USP's most have between around 3.75-4.75" barrels I believe. Never been interested in handgun suppressors a whole lot. I'm going to pick up that new pistol silencer from dead air though, it looks promising. I'm assuming they don't do but a half revolution though from looking down the one while cleaning.
Bingo. Pistols suppress just fine with 4" barrels and 1:9 twist which isn't even half a revolution. Therefor the myth that a barrel needs a full revolution is false.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I shoot an 8.5" Bison BSP Barrel with the 1-7 twist and have about 300 rounds of supersonic 90gr gold dots and 300 rounds of a custom 195gr cast load down the pipe. I have yet to see any kind of erosion or wear on my form 1 can made from stainless baffles and a titanium valve spring retainer as a blast baffle. If you care about warranty, then the Griffin Recce 7 is warrantied down to an 8" barrel in the 6.8 .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts