6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am both new to this forum and new to the 6.8 spc round. I sure wish I had found this forum before. I am currently a 16 year veteran high school teacher and teach 9th grade American history and 11th grade US government. My masters degree explored President Truman's reaction to revelations of Soviet espionage and American duplicity during his and FDR's administration (cover-up). I am also a life member of the NRA, member of the Western Missouri Shooters Alliance, and former LEO. I was interested in a rifle for home defense especially in case of a national emergency/Katrina situation. I went with an Armalite AR10. The problem was, the weight of the rifle and of 7.62x51mm ammo when you are not so young and have a bad back. Next I went with a Ruger mini-14 in 223. The problem was accuracy and finding a high cap magazine that would work in addition to concerns about the battle effectiveness of the 223. So, I began to research the 6.8 spc and like all that I have read. On some forums this round is trashed out in favor of the 6.5 Grendel or because it is not a perfect hunting or competition round. But I am interested only in a "combat" round so it seems to fit my mission profile. About 7 months ago I ordered a custom built AR15 in 6.8 from local builder. Supposedly it was done in May. The rifle never appeared and it would have been $825 out the door. I then began a search for a replacement. I didn't want to pay an arm and a leg or wait another six months. DPMS and Stag told me six months. Armalite is expensive and they, along with Rock River, offer the AR in only a 16" barrel model. Finally, I decided on the CMMG AR with an 18" barrel and a wait of 3 to 4 weeks. That will mean my total wait was about 8 months so this has been pretty frustrating. Oh yes, the way I began the steps toward buying a 6.8 was by buying a box of 6.8 ammo. A friend asked why I bought 20 rounds of ammo for a rifle I didn't even have. I told him that if I bought the ammo, the rifle would follow. Works like a charm.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
welcome teach, my favorite subject was history

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Welcome aboard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts