Registered
506 Posts
I think the bushnell would be a great scope. For kid's rifles, I like to put a
fixed power, 4x, on rimfires. I think it helps them develop better shooting
habits.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've never owned one, but have heard good things about Mueller scopes for use on .22 rim fire rifles. I think it was the APV or APT model if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I put this on on my 18" Savage bolt gun
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/38...e-scope-1-tube-3-9x40mm-bdc-150-reticle-matte

Then this one on a HK SBR
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/69...2mm-1-2-moa-adjustments-bdc-150-reticle-matte

So far I have been happy with their performance and their ballistics app is pretty nice, made shooting cards for each rifle very easy. Main reason I went with these two was due to the awesome deal I got, 2 for the price of one. However I don't think anyone in the country got a deal like I did, lets just say someone's mistake is my gain...

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
volk351, I've gravitated to putting all high-powered rifle scopes on my .22s. It just gives me more flexibility and several times I've transferred a scope to one of my ARs for a specific purpose. I do have a Leopold scout scope on my Marlin lever for two-eyes open shooting but my old eyes now like more magnification. I'm also used to using mil-dot reticles for BDC which may be an advantage of a rimfire if you want to shoot longer range.

One aspect my kids taught me was the importance of light-weight optics. They were particularly sensitive of a scope making a rifle top heavy and a couple of times asked me to put a scope I thought was less desirable back on the 22 rifle after I "upgraded" to a better scope but the extra weight was very noticeable to them. The scope you listed weights almost 20 oz. when weight is a concern, I try to use scopes that weight under a pound and often go down to 13 oz like my 3-9 Trijicon and the rimfire scopes that WASSMAN recommended that are in that weight range.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I have the P-Rimfire on my M&P15-22 and love it. Once you know the dope the scope is amazing. That rifle is the yard varmint king.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with the lightweight comments xman. Weight isn't an issue with this at the moment. She only fires it off a rest or bipod. She can't hold it by herself at this point. She's well on her way though. At 50 yds. With the 3.5x10 vortex diamondback she hits steel 9 out of 10 times.

Shes really lucky that that she picked a hobby that daddy likes too. Just wish I'd have got my first rifle at 4 complete with optics and a suppressor.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
For inexpensive good glass, especially on a rim fire, I'm a big fan of the old Japanese made Tasco scopes. I have. Fixed 4x on one of my .22's that's been there for 25+ years and it still is damn clear and tracks well. They go for quite cheap on the auction sites these days. Nice and lightweight, cheap enough to consider a beater, and good enough to be a long term scope.

-Alexander

·
Registered
637 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Volk,
Are you going to shoot 100, 150 or 200 yards with the 22LR?

If you want to trace the shots you might want to consider a higher magnification and decent glass so there is no need for spotting support. This makes it more versatile IMO.
If you can invest a bit more I suggest a bit more quality and additional features including parallax adjustment and even a 30mm tube. It all depends on what you want to
do with the rifle. Rimfire doesn't have to be bottom of the barrel optics that do not help the shooter in any shape or form but it might be ok for the ocassional plinking, close
range target and and pest hunting but a better scope will do that too and much more.

Basic field scopes that give a lot for the money are the Redfield revolution, Vortex Diamondback / HP, Burris with the E1 reticle, Nikon BDC/P series, Weaver classic.
I don't know the Bushnell AR or Weaver Kaspa but some basic bushnell the glass sucks like most other brands. So one will have to look through the AR ones and see
if they get better definition than some of the entry hunting and target cross plex ones. You are looking at all chinese made scopes with the exception of the Redfield revolution
model and very few others. Nikon have very decent glass but the BDC stadia can be very coarse for fine target. The mentioned above are from actual optics companies and
come with warranty should that ever be needed. Vector, Primary Arms, Black Ops, etc... are not optics companies. They offer only OEM scopes rebranded for retailers.
Most brands have OEM scopes in their catalogs but they key is do they have any support process or key competencies for the design, assembly and/or quality control of optics?

The 3-9x department is going to be the more plentiful in choices but I would say if you want field only 2-7 some give extra eye relief and FOV but also if you want to trace
your own shots 3-12 would be a better choice for fine target shooting. Here I think a parallax adjustment makes the whole deal a much better experience. Take a look at the Bushnell AR and
Weaver kaspa tactical and see how they look and any of those wiht a 12 magnification and 30mm tube is probably going to give you a lot more leverage for the fine printing
other than an actual high magnification target scope. If you can go to the local store and take a look through them or ask around in the local range people are more than
happy to let you compare.

Swift also makes a premier 3-12 tactical with 30mm tube and parallax adjustment and while the knobs are musshy they are precise and the resolution and light is quite
acceptable for that kind of budget. This is made in South Korea and it is very robust construction. do not fall apart like BSA, Barska, Tasco and all that garbage.

Personally I would stay away from bottom of the barrel scope and buy something that you can use in your 22LR and also move to a larger caliber if needed.

If you can spend a bit more a Vortex viper even the most basic one is going to have a superior construction and glass.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
BTW one can use resolution and contrast tests found online. Print them and go outside to the yard or in the range.
Some lower magnification scopes provide better picture due to the quality vs. higher magnification with garbage glass...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1stmarine,

Funny you should mention the vortex viper. I've got a nice PST sitting on the shelf waiting for something 308 to go under it. The kid thought it should go on her rifle.

The diamondback currently on it works great, I'd just rather have something else for hers with either a 50yd parallax or an adjustable one. Haven't looked at the bushnell I referenced in the original post. Was curious if anyone had an opinion on the glass quality. Price wasn't bad on it though, but I'm not opposed to paying more if it's a crap optic. I'm quite happy with the quality of the diamondback and if it goes that way no worries. Can't beat Vortex support anyway.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I've got a Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32 on my 10/22 that I like. I chose it based on price and that fact that has an adjustable parallax that is handy for short-range shooting. It does have long eye-relief, though, so I had to get a cantilevered mount for the rifle. I'll be swapping out the stock for a Victor Titan pretty soon, too, which should help.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
One for Nikon

I have lots of scopes, mostly Nikon, I put on my 10/22 target set it for 75 yards. When I needed it in a spilt second I took a 55lb yote out running at 78 ++ yards. One shot no drama, on the range it works just like the BCD chart Calculated out. Which works for all the BCD scopes and is on my phone.
Yes there are clearer scopes out there for 3 times the price, but most of use do not have money to burn.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts