6.8 SPC Forums banner

Subcompact pistol

3K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  KBoltz 
#1 ·
Guys, I have only own one G17 my whole life, and it has fit my needs perfectly. However, I have recently found that it SORELY lacks in concealed carry. Very heavy, large, etc. Obvious, I know; but I live in a non-CCW state, so it hasn't been an issue to date until a situation that happened two nights ago to my family.

Thus that has gotten me searching for an alternative, subcompact pistol. I have narrowed it down to three. Any preferences from people that have used these, or carry these?

The S&W M&P Compact
The Glock G26
The Kel-tec PF9

I use only Federal 147gr HST tactical loads in 9mm. I'm looking for a comfortable trade-off between size and controllability.

#2 ·
1st - The Glock G26 - You then have a Glock shooting system and familiarity of controls and pointability. Can use G17 mags as your G26 backup mag. Only thing I would investigate is whether your 147 HST loads are good shooters and reliably expand with slower velocities from shorter G26 barrel. For me, I like lighter faster bullets out of shorter barrels to make sure HP's expand properly. Some loads are specifically built for short barrels. Just check it out to be sure.
2nd - The S&W M&P Compact Very good pistol. Downside would be it's slightly different from your Glock and uses different mags. If that doesn't bother you, then this is an excellent choice also.
3rd - The Kel-tec PF9 - I have no personal experience with Kel-Tec but I would prefer the Glock or SW M&P due to their extensive reliability testing and track record with LE and government agencies.

Then again, you can't go wrong with a SW J-Frame, one of the hammerless or shrouded hammer models. I have other handguns, but it seems like the J-Frame is convenient to have around when I run errands or am out and about.

#4 ·
The glocks are nice, I carry one at work and it use to be my bedside pistol.

I think the XD's are better though.

#5 ·
My suggestion would be the Glock as well. You may have guessed from my screen name :lol:

#6 ·
smith and wesson j frame, but that was not one of your choices. go with the glock. you already have one and you are familiar with it.

#7 ·
I'm sort of casting about for a stainless colt officers 1911 (one of the later enhanced models) for my carry weapon. So far I haven't found one though.

I'd echo the comments about the Glock - you're familiar with them already. Don't change if there isn't a serious and compelling reason.

#8 ·
I carry a glock .40 at work..... So I am a favorite of the glocks. But I personally carry a Kel-Tec P-3AT .380 cal. when im off duty. As for Kel Tec reliability... When I first got it... I had a few jams... but since It was broken in, it runs pretty good. The advantage with the P-3AT is the weight. The baby glock is a lot heavier and a lot bulkier. My friend bought a baby glock .40 the other day.... not a bad gun. Are you planning on carrying it on your ankle, hip holster or in your pocket.... ya need to think about that before you decide on which model to get!

#9 ·
marinesg1012 said:
The glocks are nice, I carry one at work and it use to be my bedside pistol.

I think the XD's are better though.
I carry the XD 40. Love it! However it is a bit on the large side for a CCW.

#12 ·
If you are used to Glocks, then stick with it. I would vote for a Subcompact Springfield XD Subbie in 9mm or .40. That's what my wife has. She carries it in her Galco gun purse. I have carried it on occassion with in IWB holster, and it works great.

I usually carry a full size 1911 - at 6"1' and 265, it is easy for me to carry a full size with either IWB or small of the back with a cover shirt.

You can also use the 5.11 Tactical Holster TShirts - I can carry my Wilson and no one is the wiser. Coupled with the 5.11 tactical shorts or pants, I can have spare magazine, cuffs and case and the only two people who know are myself and the dreaded Irish Accountant.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.