6.8 SPC Forums banner

Stock help on hunting rifle

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  rilawrence 
#1 ·
Looking to build out another AR hunting rifle for deer and hogs. My current 6.8 has a CTR its fine, but is there any advantages to going with a different stock? Don't want to spend over $125. Open to any option that would be a good fit for hunting set up.

#6 · (Edited)
For a carbine I like the mako/Fab defense for 2 reasons:

A) It is extremely well constructed with very hard polymer used in military grade stocks and devices too.
B) It has the comb adjustment along with the LOP because in winter I might have a very thick
clothing and even a mask on so this way I can adjust in both axis and come down on to the rifle right
where I need it. Most ARs without comb or padding are too low. This one is flexible with adjustments
and at a good price. It has a very good pad and storage compartment too.

They have it in black and green too...

#11 ·
These are rock solid. I have other stocks but my favorites are these and the PRS for the rifles.
I think they are a bit heavier but I also think you could run them over with the truck and nothing might happen to them.
Make sure you choose mil-spec tube or commercial so you get a tight fit. No sloppiness on these.
If you doubt your tube then go for the mil-spec to be safe.

#12 ·
Most important thing for hunting is use what feels comfortable to you. If the CTR feels like a good fit, give it a try before spending the money on something else.

Dad used an M4 stock his first couple of years hunting with an AR. He now uses a CTR and loves it.

I had an A2 fixed stock on mine the first year hunting with an AR. it was okay, but I still used a bolt gun more. For the second year I converted to carbine. Tried a CTR first, then the ACS-L and I'm hooked. I don't know if I'll even take the bolt gun out this season.

Also look at how and where you'll be using it. Are you going to be walking a lot? If so a lighter stock like your CTR might be best, but if you'll mostly be sitting weight won't be much of an issue. I'm sure that the Mako stock above is nice, but some places I hunt are thick and it looks like it has a lot of places to get snagged. It may even be that one stock won't fit every hunting need you have, it's nice that carbine stocks are pretty easy to swap around.

If you doubt your tube then go for the mil-spec to be safe.
:confused: Not sure I get that statement. If you aren't sure of your tube measure it, don't just guess. Are you saying if in doubt to replace the tube and all? Seems a waste for something that can be measured.

#13 ·
No offense to anyone, but do not get a PRS stock if you plan on hiking into where ever, and/or there is a lot of thick stuff. Dont get me wrong, I have a PRS stock on mine, and love it. BUt when I went to the mountains of western NC last year and hiked up and down the mountains and dealt with thick underbrush ( mountain laurel) I hated life.

Its about $15 over your budget but I have been eyeballing this one for a while now. Its lighter and really just a skeleton version of the PRS

http://www.luth-ar.com/product/the-mba-modular-buttstock-assembly/

For a carbine I like the mako/Fab defense for 2 reasons:

A) It is extremely well constructed with very hard polymer used in military grade stocks and devices too.
B) It has the comb adjustment along with the LOP because in winter I might have a very thick
clothing and even a mask on so this way I can adjust in both axis and come down on to the rifle right
where I need it. Most ARs without comb or padding are too low. This one is flexible with adjustments
and at a good price. It has a very good pad and storage compartment too.

I like that and it even comes in black

#21 ·
I have tried a bunch and came back around to the CTR, it isn't as flashy as some of the others, but it is good all around. I do like the STR and the cheek weld is a bit better, but it is slightly heavier and a few dollars more. If the weight is really important CTR, if not STR. Maybe they are not as tacticool as some of the others, but I am not trying to impress anybody.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.