6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to build out another AR hunting rifle for deer and hogs. My current 6.8 has a CTR its fine, but is there any advantages to going with a different stock? Don't want to spend over $125. Open to any option that would be a good fit for hunting set up.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I have the Rogers Super Stock Deluxe on my hunting rifle and my 6.8 SBR. Pretty light and locks up tight and can be used on a mil-spec or commercial buffer tube.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
For a carbine I like the mako/Fab defense for 2 reasons:

A) It is extremely well constructed with very hard polymer used in military grade stocks and devices too.
B) It has the comb adjustment along with the LOP because in winter I might have a very thick
clothing and even a mask on so this way I can adjust in both axis and come down on to the rifle right
where I need it. Most ARs without comb or padding are too low. This one is flexible with adjustments
and at a good price. It has a very good pad and storage compartment too.

They have it in black and green too...

·
Registered
362 Posts

A) It is extremely well constructed with very hard polymer used in military grade stocks and devices too.
B) It has the comb adjustment along with the LOP because in winter I might have a very thick
clothing and even a mask on so this way I can adjust in both axis and come down on to the rifle right
where I need it. Most ARs without comb or padding are too low. This one is flexible with adjustments

Went to their wed page but did not find this stock. Do you have a link?

·
Super Moderator
21,650 Posts
Went to their wed page but did not find this stock. Do you have a link?
Did you go to fab-defense's website? It's listed there. Probably manufactured by Mako Group. Heck, click on the pic he posted and it'll take you to the Mako page it's sold on.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

Now that's slick I haven't even seen these before now. Damit now I want one blasted BRD.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
These are rock solid. I have other stocks but my favorites are these and the PRS for the rifles.
I think they are a bit heavier but I also think you could run them over with the truck and nothing might happen to them.
Make sure you choose mil-spec tube or commercial so you get a tight fit. No sloppiness on these.
If you doubt your tube then go for the mil-spec to be safe.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Most important thing for hunting is use what feels comfortable to you. If the CTR feels like a good fit, give it a try before spending the money on something else.

Dad used an M4 stock his first couple of years hunting with an AR. He now uses a CTR and loves it.

I had an A2 fixed stock on mine the first year hunting with an AR. it was okay, but I still used a bolt gun more. For the second year I converted to carbine. Tried a CTR first, then the ACS-L and I'm hooked. I don't know if I'll even take the bolt gun out this season.

Also look at how and where you'll be using it. Are you going to be walking a lot? If so a lighter stock like your CTR might be best, but if you'll mostly be sitting weight won't be much of an issue. I'm sure that the Mako stock above is nice, but some places I hunt are thick and it looks like it has a lot of places to get snagged. It may even be that one stock won't fit every hunting need you have, it's nice that carbine stocks are pretty easy to swap around.

If you doubt your tube then go for the mil-spec to be safe.
:confused: Not sure I get that statement. If you aren't sure of your tube measure it, don't just guess. Are you saying if in doubt to replace the tube and all? Seems a waste for something that can be measured.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Looking to build out another AR hunting rifle for deer and hogs. My current 6.8 has a CTR its fine, but is there any advantages to going with a different stock? Don't want to spend over $125. Open to any option that would be a good fit for hunting set up.
No offense to anyone, but do not get a PRS stock if you plan on hiking into where ever, and/or there is a lot of thick stuff. Dont get me wrong, I have a PRS stock on mine, and love it. BUt when I went to the mountains of western NC last year and hiked up and down the mountains and dealt with thick underbrush ( mountain laurel) I hated life.

Its about $15 over your budget but I have been eyeballing this one for a while now. Its lighter and really just a skeleton version of the PRS

http://www.luth-ar.com/product/the-mba-modular-buttstock-assembly/

I like that and it even comes in black

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
:confused: Not sure I get that statement. If you aren't sure of your tube measure it, don't just guess. Are you saying if in doubt to replace the tube and all? Seems a waste for something that can be measured.
The issues are with the tubes not the stock. Of course one can measure the tube and if the tube is out of whack then replace it.
The mil spec works great with many tubes and the average folks who buy it they say they are happy with it as the tolerances are minute.
This is just based on experience and conventional wisdom but I agree if one has the calipers and knows how to get the precise fit then do it.
The stock is tight to avoid looseness.
If one wants something super tight then order several tubes from different brands and pick the one that is tighter.
I always have a bunch of tubes anyway so this is what I did. Took the one that fit the best.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The issues are with the tubes not the stock. Of course one can measure the tube and if the tube is out of whack then replace it.
The mil spec works great with many tubes and the average folks who buy it they say they are happy with it as the tolerances are minute.
This is just based on experience and conventional wisdom but I agree if one has the calipers and knows how to get the precise fit then do it.
If one wants something super tight then order several tubes from different brands and pick the one that is tighter.
I always have a bunch of tubes anyway so this is what I did. Took the one that fit the best.
I think I get what you are saying now. I've got Vltor A5 tubes on both of my carbine lowers and they are the same diameter, no surprise being from the same company. The first ACS-L I bought fit great right out of the box on both tubes. The second ACS-L was too tight on both tubes, it could barely be installed and couldn't be adjusted. Upon closer inspection it had a lot of mold flashing left on it and looked like it was part of the Friday production run. Instead of shipping it back, I trimmed off the mold flashing and sanded the inside of the stock to fit. Works great now.

Come to think of it, I had to do the same thing when I put a commercial spec CTR on my shotgun. I didn't think anything of it because it does not use an actual AR-15 receiver extension, just a plastic tube molded to same shape.

Yep, these are nice too. Got one on both of mine.

Limbsaver has one available for it too. http://www.limbsaver.com/product/magpul-carbine-stock-recoil-pad-2/

10025-magpul.jpg
It works great for the CTR on my shotgun.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That Luth AR looks like it would be worth the extra $$$. Anyone hunt with them?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
That Luth AR looks like it would be worth the extra $$$. Anyone hunt with them?
IMO those are better for rifles and for longer shots and to shoot prone. I like the idea that it is adjustable in the comb too
but then you are adding weight and although less than the PRS still is a larger setup.
For light carbines for hunting and shtf I like the collapsible feature better than the adjustable for quick adjustment. Like hunting
with heavy clothes on a backpack on top you might carry a lot shorter but if you go down and take your backpack off
you can quickly expand a couple of inches. Still I like a flexible comb adjustments as more setups fall low. I see this problem
all the time and folks end up shooting with less ideal posture. But again it depends on what one does and expectations too.
For harvesting a buck at 50-70 yards no much is needed. Folks do it every season with old muskets.

This is based on my personal preferences and observations. Everyone is different. There is no one formula fits all type of deal.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Try the Magpul STR. Under $100, lightweight, better cheek weld, storage compartment s.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts