6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a heavy barrel lbc 243. Do you guys think a steel barrel nut would be better for it?
Or does not matter..
Tia.

·
Super Moderator
12,229 Posts
I'm building a heavy barrel lbc 243. Do you guys think a steel barrel nut would be better for it?
Or does not matter..
Tia.
I think it doesn't matter as long as it is installed properly.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Agreed, as long as the upper receiver is a quality one the part we normally lap in (but can't yet for the AR LF).

I have only used aluminum barrel nuts for my AR 308 builds, they have worked just fine, just be sure to put anti seize on the threads and tighten 3 times before the final setting.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
I have never understood the issue with aluminum barrel nuts---- the receiver is made of aluminum, and as the saying goes--- a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link---- if you over tighten the steel barrel nut all you do is strip the receiver threads---- if you over tighten an aluminum barrel nut then you've got a 50/50 chance that you only messed up the barrel nut and not your receiver

I have never seen any other issues with barrel nuts other than cross threading, under or over torqueing, and that would be all operator/builder error

moly grease for aluminum barrel nuts works just fine, the moly in the grease acts as an anti-seize agent ---I've never had one seize on me

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.