6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some experience ...

Have some Targetman 3/8" AR500 66% IPSC steel targets with their mounting fixtures that angle the targets so that the splash is downward.

These likely to be OK for full velocity 6.8s loaded with 110gr SPHs and 115 gr Nosler CCs? Would also like to shoot 308 M80 ball. No shooting closer than 50 yards.

Thoughts please!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If it's 3/8" AR 500 neither the 6.8 or 308 are going to do more than leave splatter marked on it. You might be able to fracture/pierce the plate with a 50BMG and solids though if you can set the plate were it is solid and doesn't allow deflection.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If it's 3/8" AR 500 neither the 6.8 or 308 are going to do more than leave splatter marked on it. You might be able to fracture the plate with a 50BMG and solids though.
I've got a pile of 3/8" AR500 plates that the ears broke off of. At least 8 of them, and have never shot one at less than 100 yards. Have broken at least 3 of them with a 270 at 300 yards, 1 with 300WM at 400, and the rest with 308 at 100 or 200 yards. Most of the companies making them seem to only leave about 1/4" of metal around the bolt holes. I found that the targets from Shooting Targets 7 have the best design, and they are the only ones I haven't broken ears off of. I am not affiliated with them, but am very happy with their products, and they have a life-time guarantee. I'm slowly replacing my 3/8 targets with 1/2, but damn, it's pricey.

But no, 3/8 AR500 steel targets should not break from 6.8 or 308 as long as you don't hit the ear and the way they are hung gives some movement.

·
Registered
301 Posts
3/8" AR 500 at 20 yards with .223 craters my Salute Products target about 1/16". 1/2" AR 500 at 20 yards with .223, 6.8 and 7.62 x 39 still leaves a slight dent.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts

Have some Targetman 3/8" AR500 66% IPSC steel targets with their mounting fixtures that angle the targets so that the splash is downward.

These likely to be OK for full velocity 6.8s loaded with 110gr SPHs and 115 gr Nosler CCs? Would also like to shoot 308 M80 ball. No shooting closer than 50 yards.

Thoughts please!
I have several of the targets in question, and I shoot them with .300WM regularly with zero damage. A couple of my 66% IPSC steel targets have taken thousands of rounds of M80 and more with no ill effects. Keep them at the 100 yard mark or further, and they will last a long, long time. Shooting them at a closer distance with M80 ball won't necessarily leave divots or cause visual damage, but it will fatigue the target faster. Anyway, the 6.8 and .308 won't do anything to the plates as long as you follow the distance guidelines.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
3/8" AR 500 at 20 yards with .223 craters my Salute Products target about 1/16". 1/2" AR 500 at 20 yards with .223, 6.8 and 7.62 x 39 still leaves a slight dent.
I don't have anywhere I could shoot steel targets at the moment but am curious why would you want to shoot them at slingshot distance with a high powered rifle? Seriously not trying to be a [email protected]$$ just wondering.

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
I don't have anywhere I could shoot steel targets at the moment but am curious why would you want to shoot them at slingshot distance with a high powered rifle? Seriously not trying to be a [email protected]$$ just wondering.
Seriously, that is way too close for comfort. 50 yard minimum for rifle. 7-8 yard for pistol.

·
10,536 Posts
Mark,
I already built my portable target stand, but those conduit brackets and hangers are awesome!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Mburgin - You using steel penetrating ammo or something else long range with steel tip?

I've put 338 Lapua into my AR500 1/2" at 300 and don't have anymore than a dimple. My experience is that whoever cuts it also makes a big difference, which translates to heat-affected edges or not. As for distance, I don't go slower than 50 yards with centerfire rifle, and no closer than 10 on rimfire or pistol.

·
10,536 Posts
Mburgin - You using steel penetrating ammo or something else long range with steel tip?

I've put 338 Lapua into my AR500 1/2" at 300 and don't have anymore than a dimple. My experience is that whoever cuts it also makes a big difference, which translates to heat-affected edges or not. As for distance, I don't go slower than 50 yards with centerfire rifle, and no closer than 10 on rimfire or pistol.
Gotta be his .50. :a26:

·
Registered
3,209 Posts

Thoughts please!
Me and several of the members here shot my 1/2" AR500 @ minimum 100yds with .223, 6.8, and .308 with nary a dent. From the info provided by the supplier, projectile speed more than caliber or bullet weight is the determining factor for damage. The heat generated changes the structure of the steel softening it in that area. I'm like Woodstock and would keep distances to 100yds or more with the 6.8. You'll like the way it dings those targets in a way .223 does not!

Talk about timing!

Check this out:

http://www.maddogweapons.com/store/c21/"Northern_Shooter"_Steel_Target_Systems.html

(Work in progress but available soon!)
Those are COOL! LOL at the shark. "Smile you son of a b----!"

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
All of mine are from JC Steel with stands I have made. The plates are not bad to ship since he can jam most of them in a USPS flat rate box, the stands are what drives the price up due to the size.

We have hit them with everything up to 30/06, the only damage so far was from a .22-250 at 100yds, knocks little chips off the face.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts

yeah, it's a .50 BMG

it was kind of a joke for some that posted. i had my Barrett .50 BMG at the SE shoot last year and i let any member there shoot it that wanted to. the only catch was that they NOT shoot any of the AR500 targets the members brought as they wouldn't last long. we were shooting 770 gr AP ammo i believe.

·
Registered
301 Posts
No offense taken. If you ever get the chance to take a carbine class, you'll find they spend quite a bit of time teaching you how to engage multiple targets at close range. They call them shooting drills. When I train, I shoot drills with multiple targets at varying distances. I use three IDPA cardboards in conjunction with my EAG 10-8 steel target at 20 yards. I use it as a stop plate at the end of a string of fire. It has been shot with ARs, AKs, HK51 and 53s. I shoot the same drills with a pistol but the distance is decreased to 10 yards. The steel target is angled 30 degrees toward the shooter so the splatter is deflected behind the target.

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
Yep, spoke too soon. I figured it was the Barrett.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts