6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been gone a while but am now back. Got my equipment sorted and ready.

ive always like s&b brass but now I’m seeing starline has stepped up for the 6.8 crew.

I always used starline in 10mm so I know it’s g2g. How does it physically measure up to the s&b? Has anyone volume tested, weighed it and compared to s&b? Looking for some info before I pick up 2-500 pcs. It does seem like a slight load change will be needed when switching from s&b?

Xman, done any starline testing?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Starline 6.8 brass is good brass, that's all I shoot out of my 6.8.
I also use their 7mm-08 brass, and neck down their 6mm CM brass for my 22 CM, as well as shoot a lot of their pistol brass in 40 S&W, 44 Magnum, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I've been shooting Starline brass. Not as much case capacity as S&B but good quality and consistent results. S&B is my preferred brass but I would put Starline right up there with it and above the others.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great. I know starline makes good stuff just wanted some first hand experience from you guys.

thanks

P.S. if I’m loading 27.4g in my 120load and 29.5 in my 100g load in S&B, where should I start with the starline?

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I assume you are going to load new brass which I step down 0.5 grains from fired/resized brass and work up from there.

Reactions: TX_Punisher

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. New brass. May mandrel them after I measure them out-of-the-box then load and have fun.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I just loaded them up and headed to the range for recoil therapy ... well there was one time I couldn't do that with some Hornady Valkyrie cases where the necks were to small for the bullets to seat without distorting them.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone know if the s&b brass either primed or unprimed is shipping or available anywhere? Is yamaraja’s webstore the only place that even offers it?

if not then ill try some starline.

thanks

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
CavityBackBullets is the only business I know of that provides S&B brass (only comes primed). With the current shortage, making 6.8mm brass is far down on the list and likely won't be seen until next year sometime from what I've learned.

Reactions: TX_Punisher

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Anyone know if the s&b brass either primed or unprimed is shipping or available anywhere? Is yamaraja’s webstore the only place that even offers it?

if not then ill try some starline.

thanks
Yes we are the only source of S&B 6.8 brass. I have runs of it contracted straight from S&B.
Xman is correct probably not getting any production this year.
5.56, 300 BO, 7.62x39 and Grendel all run on the same machines.
5.56 and 7.62x39 take priority followed by 300 BO then 6.8 and last is Grendel.
With current military contracts and demand for 5.56 and 7.62x39 worldwide the machines are running those 2 non stop.
Until either the demand slows down or a 6.8 military contract happens there wont be 6.8 brass production in quantity.
Thats the same reason your not seeing 6.8 S&B PTS or FMJ on the market.
There may be a run of PTS later in the year but no extra brass.
I have an order in for 200,000 pieces, when is anyones guess at this point.

·
Registered
325 Posts
S&B brass is my favorite brass, but there are no flies on Starline - it's good stuff! I have a load that runs at max with 130 gr bullets & the recipe calls for S&B brass. At the time, I didn't want to buy 250 cases from CB - their min order. I didn't want primed either due to my recipe. I received a flyer from Academy advertising S&B 6.8 on sale with free shipping over $25. I ordered 80 rnds. I pulled the bullets, threw away the powder & removed the primers. I later sold/traded the bullets & used the primers in some .223 practice ammo. IIRC the naked cases cost me about 40 cents each (with a little bit of labor.) I know this is moot since no ammo is available, but I thought I'd relate. This gave me enough brass for my development project & to load my supply of hunting ammo with 130 gr GD's (Fusion).

BTW: S&B brass has shallow primer pockets so be careful that no primers protrude when shooting in a semi-auto. Just FYI...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts