6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slamming a soft rock into a hard rock can result in only one outcome - a broken soft rock.

For this reason, I prefer stainless barrel extensions over melonite, as theoretically it will extend bolt life and reduce wear.

Questions for Discussion:

Are there any advantages to melonite/nitrided barrel extensions that outweigh bolt life?

Will future offerings, specifically 308 midweight 18" and 20" barrels, be offered with stainless or melonite extensions?

Is there any evidence that suggests melonite/nitrided extensions reduce bolt life?

I haven't found much discussion (or metrics) regarding this topic, so I thought I'd start a thread on the subject in the most pertinent place.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
Slamming a soft rock into a hard rock can result in only one outcome - a broken soft rock.

For this reason, I prefer stainless barrel extensions over melonite, as theoretically it will extend bolt life and reduce wear.

Questions for Discussion:

Are there any advantages to melonite/nitrided barrel extensions that outweigh bolt life?

Will future offerings, specifically 308 midweight 18" and 20" barrels, be offered with stainless or melonite extensions?

Is there any evidence that suggests melonite/nitrided extensions reduce bolt life?

I haven't found much discussion (or metrics) regarding this topic, so I thought I'd start a thread on the subject in the most pertinent place.

Thoughts?
Those silver extension you see aren't stainless, they are untreated bare metal. Squirt a little salt water on them and watch them rust.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Those silver extension you see aren't stainless, they are untreated bare metal. Squirt a little salt water on them and watch them rust.
Does this help performance? For the highest performance, we should use Salt water from which Ocean?

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Some Siler extensions are nib coated....Im not sure if that helps or hurts though

·
Registered
249 Posts
Some Siler extensions are nib coated....Im not sure if that helps or hurts though
If you have a NiB bolt, seems like you'd be all good. Or a Melonited bolt

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
If you are thinking that the extension and bolt contact will cause failure of the softer of the two, seems I would want the cheaper and/or easier to replace to fail first. Bolts are easier to inspect, cheaper than barrels, and swap using no tools.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
If you are thinking that the extension and bolt contact will cause failure of the softer of the two, seems I would want the cheaper and/or easier to replace to fail first. Bolts are easier to inspect, cheaper than barrels, and swap using no tools.
+1
Exactly, if something is going to wear I want it to be the bolt.
The extension needs to last the life of the barrel.
Which could be 20,000 rounds +, which would be 4 bolts if replaced at recommended intervals.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
Wait what?

http://pg.b5z.net/get/mb5z/s240-*/zirw/1/i/u/6132121/i/ec/SOCOM.JPG

I was actually referring to this, which is your nitrided barrel with a 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel extension?

I guess I assumed the barrel itself was the 4150, and the extension stainless. Are they both 4150, just the extension untreated?
The extensions are purchased from the same companies as everyone else. NONE of the silver extensions on any company's barrels are stainless or treated, just raw metal. Of course you can tell the difference between a NiB or chrome extension and a raw extension.
The raw extensions are actually harder than the Melonite treated extensions by a few points even if there is some idiot supermod from the Grendel forum going around telling everyone Melonite extensions are brittle. In reality Melonite treating an already case hard part results in softening the part.
REAL easy way to test. Place both parts on an anvil and beat the crap out of them with a big hammer. The melonite part will bend the raw part will break.
Why did I change? Easier, quicker, no threads to clean, no toxic liquid on my hands and the lugs of the extension are harder.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Will all of your barrels in the future have an uncoated extension or was it just this batch?

What would be the best way to mitigate corrosion on the extension? Could it be coated with something prior to installation?

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Will all of your barrels in the future have an uncoated extension or was it just this batch?

What would be the best way to mitigate corrosion on the extension? Could it be coated with something prior to installation?
i coat the extension and the barrel nut with brownell's copper anti-seize

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts

All of them will be uncoated from now on. I assume since the 60s just the oil from the firearm has kept them from corroding.

·
Registered
700 Posts
i coat the extension and the barrel nut with brownell's copper anti-seize
Good idea, thanks.

All of them will be uncoated from now on. I assume since the 60s just the oil from the firearm has kept them from corroding.
I figured as much. That "should" keep it from severely corroding under normal use. Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.