6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a few boxes of these. Anyone use them before? Good round for deer? They'll be primarily used in an 18" ARP barrel. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Administrator
22,081 Posts
One of the former moderators used those (almost exclusively) on BIG Missouri bucks. They never failed to kill the deer. I've found them to be very accurate out of my 6.8. They're a cup/core design, so, they'll separate inside the animal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I prefer the Federal Fusion 115 grains, but they're impossible to find right now. Loaded up some 90 grain Gold Dots a couple weeks ago for a hog hunt. They did the trick, but I'm wanting to use a heavier bullet. Got a good deal (anything under $2/round seems like a good deal today) on the Pro Hunters, so thought I might give them a try.

Pic is the first kill with a 6.8 reload. Easy shot, bout 100 yards away. I've learned that pigs don't care what you use when you shoot them in the ear hole.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I found a good deal on the 110 grain Sierra Pro Hunter bullets. I think they will be good deer medicine for my 270AR. Super accurate so far, but haven't shot at critters yet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I recently purchased a few boxes of these. Anyone use them before? Good round for deer? They'll be primarily used in an 18" ARP barrel. Any info is appreciated. Thanks! View attachment 68375 View attachment 68376
I recently purchased a few boxes of these. Anyone use them before? Good round for deer? They'll be primarily used in an 18" ARP barrel. Any info is appreciated. Thanks! View attachment 68375 View attachment 68376
I have killed 12 Deer with this ammo from my 6,8 spc..most were 1 shot kills, a couple didn't leave much of a blood trail...quit using it for the last five years and switched to a 270 but this year I'm going to hunt with it again using Factory Loaded ammo from CBB Cavity Back Bullets, their 105 grain MKZ bullets register 2800 + on my chronograph and shoot a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards, they are supposed to leave a very good blood trail..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Here is an old link that describes a doe that was taken with the SSA 110 ProHunter ( 6.8 excellence ). Also dropped a good sized 9 point in its tracks at about 60 yards. Neither exited and damage was extensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts