6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my brother and I finally rounded-up all of the local pumpkins from door steps yesterday for some fun.
I took my chrono with me so I could test the difference between the SSA 110Gr. Pro Hunter and Hornady 110Gr BTHP/WC.

So the SSA lists on the box 2575 Fps from a 16" barrel. Based on the average of 10 shots, the velocity was 2485 Fps.
The Hornady shows 2550 Fps from a 16" Bbl. Again, on the 10-shot average: 2595 Fps.

What is interesting to note, is based upon the condition of the brass after firing, I would say that SSA has a pressure problem, or weaker brass.

---Darkker

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
What rifle were you using? barrel and specs?

·
Registered
257 Posts
You recieved some of our new boxes with new labels. With the velocities you listed you got our commercial loads not the combat load at 2575. Was there a sticked that has "CL" on it? I will have to check on Monday ona possible labeling mix up.

Artt - SSA

·
Registered
441 Posts
kalwasart, FYI I just chronographed some of your 110 PH Combat loads yesterday in my Stag 16". Average was 2566 FPS. I received them from you about 2 weeks ago. No signs of excess pressure on them. Group avg. was 1.8" at 100 yds. for 3 shot groups. Not too bad considering the variable wind gusts of 5 to 15 MPH. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
16" DPMS Upper, 1:10 Twist, with what I believe is the DMR chamber; in any case not the stock DPMS chamber.
The ammo is not combat loads, the new orange sticker makes the claim of the 2575Fps. In any case this is definitly not a complaint of SSA ammo, merely a first time impression of shooting and a chrony.
When I get a chance to reload after I get home in January, I'll get a better idea of what the brass is really like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts