6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went hunting this past weekend but had some dud ammo. Out of the 6 times I pulled the trigger only 2 rounds fired. As you can see they had good pin strikes. I could only find 2 of the 4 duds because I ejected them into tall grass. The lot number on the box is 0109447. I have not had any other problems with SSA ammo but now I am leary about hunting with it. It almost cost me a good 8pt by having to rack the slide twice to get a round that would fire! :!: Not a good confidence builder.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Did you call SSA and see if they have had any other issues with the lot number?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Had a couple reported issues over the past year with the Mil-Spec primers. TC's springs are just not strong enough and most guy's had them replaced. In AR'S we had one of our lowers after several hundred rounds spring replaced, we have the advantage as we have numerious lowers we can switch to if have a mis-fire to isolate the problem.

The Mil-Spec primer needs a good hammer spring and some after market trigger jobs have caused problems in this area. I have already emailed angsniper regarding this matter. We have checked the lot # and rechecked the drop test on the primers which passed. The problem is they may be on the hard side but the test only say's if the primers are good or bad. We really do not want to go to a commercial primer on this round because I have shot a weapon with a commercial primer that sent an AR into full auto with my finger off the trigger. It does get your attention.

Art

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Art I think we all understand why you use the milspec primers.

Art, kinda an off shoot but do you know if the Timney trigger has enough ommph to reliably set off the mil spec primers? Was thinking about getting one for my hunting rig.

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm shooting a SSS trigger spring set with only a couple hundreds rounds on them. This is the first problem I've encountered.

Thanks again Art for your willingness to help.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I have had this problem in the past, too. However, I noticed that the only gun I have which will do this, is my Colt lower with 10,000 rounds on it, and almost 12 years old. I have only replaced the FCG springs once, and I am going to do it again soon, to see if this resolves the issue.

On another lower, I had the Bill Springfield 4 lb trigger job, but with the 4lb job, he DOES NOT replace any springs, so that isn't the problem. This lower has not done this.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i had this happen to me but i found it was due to a backwards trigger spring. I flipped it and could feel the hammer hit 5x harder than before. You may want to check this.

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All springs are in right and susequent rounds did fire with only 2 more duds out the box.
Art had said that he would replace the ammo for me however he never did.
This is the only problem I've had with the rifle/ammo and I'm using wolf primers in my reloads without issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts