6.8 SPC Forums banner

Ssa Ammo primers

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  angsniper 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any problems with ssa ammo not working? I bought 3 boxes of the 110 sierrra pro hunter to use on a hunting trip. I shot from the first box to zero my rifle in , fired 10 rounds with no problems. I am using a Rock River 6.8 mid length. After second day of hunting, I grabbed 8 rounds from the second box. When I sighted in on a deer and fired, nothing happend but a click. I cycled the action and loaded a new round, same thing happened. this time I removed the magazine, reset the hammer a pulled the trigger, same click. I returned the magazine and tried 4 more rounds with the same thing happening . By this time the deer was moving om. It was just a doe, but this making me mad. I then remembered that I had 1 round from the first box of ammo in my pistol grip. I loaded this into the mag. I shot a button buck about five minutes later and the shot dropped him to the ground. 20 minutes later, another doe appeared and I had 2 rounds from the second box left. Same thing happended again.,just clicks. Later on, I fired some rounds from the 1st box and they worked fine. The primers on the dud rounds were dented and looked the same as the brass from the spent rounds. I was wondering if it could be something with my bolt or did I just get a bad batch of ammo. I will contact SSA and see what they have to say. The ammo that worked was devasting on the deer. I really liked hunting with this rifle and would like to see what the problem was.

#2 ·
jcglp said:
Has anyone had any problems with ssa ammo not working? I bought 3 boxes of the 110 sierrra pro hunter to use on a hunting trip. I shot from the first box to zero my rifle in , fired 10 rounds with no problems. I am using a Rock River 6.8 mid length. After second day of hunting, I grabbed 8 rounds from the second box. When I sighted in on a deer and fired, nothing happend but a click. I cycled the action and loaded a new round, same thing happened. this time I removed the magazine, reset the hammer a pulled the trigger, same click. I returned the magazine and tried 4 more rounds with the same thing happening . By this time the deer was moving om. It was just a doe, but this making me mad. I then remembered that I had 1 round from the first box of ammo in my pistol grip. I loaded this into the mag. I shot a button buck about five minutes later and the shot dropped him to the ground. 20 minutes later, another doe appeared and I had 2 rounds from the second box left. Same thing happended again.,just clicks. Later on, I fired some rounds from the 1st box and they worked fine. The primers on the dud rounds were dented and looked the same as the brass from the spent rounds. I was wondering if it could be something with my bolt or did I just get a bad batch of ammo. I will contact SSA and see what they have to say. The ammo that worked was devasting on the deer. I really liked hunting with this rifle and would like to see what the problem was.
What trigger are you using? It could be the trigger or the firing pin. Or it could also be the ammo.

#3 ·
I have had that happen with a batch of reloads with cci 41 primers. found a few rounds with dented in primers in my brass bag when I got home pulled the bullet dumped the powder, put the round back in the gun and the round went bang. Oh who knows why these happen

#4 ·
Standard rock river trigger. I looked at the rounds that did not fire and noticed that the primer is more recessed than the primers in the rounds that fired. The primer also looks smaller in diameter. Could these primers be in too far? Tomorrow I am going to put some primers in the empty brass and see if they fire.

#5 ·
jcglp said:
Standard rock river trigger. I looked at the rounds that did not fire and noticed that the primer is more recessed than the primers in the rounds that fired. The primer also looks smaller in diameter. Could these primers be in too far? Tomorrow I am going to put some primers in the empty brass and see if they fire.
Tha may be the problem. Also check your firing pin to make sure it is in spec.

#6 ·
I had that problem after I put a lighter trigger spring kit.
The culprit: the lighter hammer spring. I put my original hammer spring back in the trigger and have not had a problem with any round since.

#7 ·
Contacted SSA today and explained what happened. Art at SSA said he is sending out three new boxes of ammo out even though I only had problems with one box. I will buy all of my brass and ammo from SSA, they really take care of the customer. Also, I am going to replace the hammer spring with the wolf extra strength spring.

#8 ·
jcglp said:
Contacted SSA today and explained what happened. Art at SSA said he is sending out three new boxes of ammo out even though I only had problems with one box. I will buy all of my brass and ammo from SSA, they really take care of the customer. Also, I am going to replace the hammer spring with the wolf extra strength spring.
I had the same issue this past weekend and had 4 out of 6 not fire. Almost lost a shot at the 8pt because of having to rack the slide. I contacted Art about it also and he said he would replace them. I'm using a stock trigger with SSS springs and the primers had good strikes just like the ones that did fire.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.