6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Need to get some ammo for my not here yet RRA upper/rifle and saw these on sale?
Are these 90 gr. Sierras pretty good just for fun? If not would you get SSA 110 sp
or the 115 OTM??? Also getting a bag of brass to reload too. Thanks.

T

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
What bullet do they use?
Good for predators and up or just predators?

·
Registered
0 Posts
i bought 100 rds yesterday. can not wait untill oct 12 when i can get out to shoot.

i have my pejsa ballistics software set up for this ammo.
i will see if i can shoot out to the 625 yards that is says i can before it goes sub-sonic.
:D
will post my findings.

timothy

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
farmerboy said:
i bought 100 rds yesterday. can not wait untill oct 12 when i can get out to shoot.

i will see if i can shoot out to the 625 yards that is says i can before it goes sub-sonic.
will post my findings.

timothy
It is supposed to shoot at 2900fps from a 16" barrel. But we shoot an 80gr .223 Sierra bullet, so 90gr for 6.8 is kinda
short and fat, so I don't know how long before it goes subsonic. I would think it would bleed speed quicker than heavier
6.8 bullets. But, I really have no idea.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The Sierra's do not work well for LR but the TNTs oh man. Out to 600 yards they have less then the popular 308 5.56 6.5 Grendel rounds.The issue with the Sierra is the HP is larger and that actually causes a decrease in BC as the velocity goes up. It is still a fine round to 300-400 and honestly who here is shooting past that and if they are they are using a dif bullet

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tim_W said:
The Sierra's do not work well for LR but the TNTs oh man. Out to 600 yards they have less then the popular 308 5.56 6.5 Grendel rounds.The issue with the Sierra is the HP is larger and that actually causes a decrease in BC as the velocity goes up. It is still a fine round to 300-400 and honestly who here is shooting past that and if they are they are using a dif bullet
Thanks for the input. I really just need some plinkin/fun ammo to get to shoot cheap/er. BTW what is the
"combat load" on the SSA website? I can't find it and want to try a box.

T

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Tat you have to call SSA and ordee the combat load specifically, also make sure your rifle is designed to handle those loads.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i have a 18" barrel and the ammo's fps is 2850, i think.
so i am hoping for another 50-75 fps the the extra 2" of barrel.

the (excel) software i have has some constants that i have mod-ed with the things i know for 110 grain 6.8 ammo and 5.56 ammo. so i do know the software is allways to fast and too flat for the 6.8 but i think i have it with-in 10%
http://www.reflexsuppressors.co.uk/ you can find the software at this link

Tat2 said:
farmerboy said:

will post my findings.

timothy
It is supposed to shoot at 2900fps from a 16" barrel. But we shoot an 80gr .223 Sierra bullet, so 90gr for 6.8 is kinda
short and fat, so I don't know how long before it goes subsonic. I would think it would bleed speed quicker than heavier
6.8 bullets. But, I really have no idea.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
marinesg1012 said:
Tat you have to call SSA and ordee the combat load specifically, also make sure your rifle is designed to handle those loads.
thanks for the info. I want to try a box in a RRA upper/rifle.

T

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
They are very nice people to deal with.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Re: velocity data for SSA 90 Varmitter

90 grain Sierra: 2760 FPS from a 1-10 twist 16" barrel, 2,860 FPS Combat loads, waiting for ballistics data.

also, Accu-Bond 2,580 FPS commercial and 2,680 combat.

·
Registered
212 Posts

modernarms said:
90 grain Sierra: 2760 FPS from a 1-10 twist 16" barrel, 2,860 FPS Combat loads, waiting for ballistics data.

What's the FPS for the ProHunter, Barnes and OTM's in combat from the same barrel and twist?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would also like to know how well this round would do for home defense. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
jbone said:
I would also like to know how well this round would do for home defense. Thanks!
I don't have any Gel Testing to back it up, but the Sierra 90 Gr. HP and Speer 90 Gr. TNT bullets would be devastating rounds for Home Defense. They both begin to fragment within 1 inch of penetration because they are Varmint bullets and they fragment violently. The only thing I don't know is how much they penetrate, but I'm pretty sure they won't over-penetrate.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I get 2570 from the Pro Hunter, 2580 from the OTM, and 2630 from the Barnes TSX. All are combat loads and an average from a 16" LWRC.

·
Registered
410 Posts

modernarms said:

How about the velocity from the 8" LWRC PSD with the combat loads?

·
Registered
0 Posts
i shot 20 rounds this last weekend.
by far the best factory ammo
and the price is great.

shoots really flat
can't wait until i get to hunt with it.
thank you SSA!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts