6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a lot of reading of reviews/opinions and doing comparisons of my own I decided to go with the Ruger Target Model for my 1911 9mm. For me, I couldn't have made a better choice. What closed the deal was : positive reviews, cost <$1,000, features including ramped chamber, can take or leave the ambi safety but it functions smoothly and positively, bull barrel same as my 10mm works just fine, I don't see it as a problem for disassembly and is supposed to provide for a more accurate lock-up with less fitting required, overall appearance I like, and confidence in Ruger from my own positive experience with two other SR1911's, one in 10mm and one in .45.
With the money I saved over Colt's etc. I bought 1,000 rounds of practice ammo and added the following features to my liking:
- Burris FF III Reflex utilizing EGW mount.
- Ed Brown Arched MSH and MagWell
- Wilson Magazines
- CoolHand G-10 grips (less than half the price of VZ)
- Pearce finger grip insert

Initial Range Report:
- So for 100% function for several 100 rounds of 115fmj WWB, Fiocchi, and Sig Performance. For accuracy (easily <inch at 7yds during break-in) it prefers the Sig. I've read (on the Web so it must be true) that 147grn loadings provide excellent accuracy and milder recoil for 9mm 1911's.....slower slide travel. I'll try some in the future.
- The gun is a pleasure to shoot on the line (I love my .45's but not getting beat up is nice!). Accurate, mild recoil, cheap ammo and with a trigger that breaks at +/- 4 pounds. I think I have me a keeper here.

1911 9mm 2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
21,593 Posts
Hoooooo!!! 'Dat's a purdy little shooter, right there!! She got Zest!

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
Sweet! Can't beat confidence in your gun tweaked the way you want.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That is a really nice weapon.I carried a Colt 1911 on duty back in the 80s when everyone carried revolvers. Still have it and its by my bedside right now! I have several Ruger revolvers but that pretty 1911 of yours has me thinking I need (want) one more!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts