6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I am waiting for my LWRC M6A1 upper in 6.8mm, I purchased a lower from Spike's Tactical and one of his dedicated 22 LR uppers. I got the flattop 16.5 in barrel model with the M4 type front sight and a Yankee Hill free float rail fore end -- the one most similar to the M6A1 I ordered. I've been to three range sessions with it and this upper rocks!

The first trip out was a disaster -- I have a Marvel .22 conversion for my 1911 and it specifies CCI Mini-Mags so that's what I have, They jammed every round in the Spike's .22 -- failure to fully seat the round. I called Spikes's up and spoke to Tom, who said the CCI Minimags are too fat for their chambers, and try the Federal copper covered solids which are sold in 500 rd packs at Walmart. I did, and they worked like a charm -- 2 failures to feed in 500 rounds! This baby rocks!

It's nicely put together, too and uses the Black Dog full sized 30 round mags . Since the barrel goes about 2 inches into the chamber the barrel length outside the receiver is 14.5 so it has the exact profile of an issue M4 although it has the 16.5 inch barrel.

I put a carry handle sight and a Bushnell red dot on a riser on the fore end -- co-witnessed and a great setup. My son loves it so we go shooting together once a week. Unfortunately the marvel pistol conversions says right on the manual not to use Federal, so I need to have both the Federal 500 round blocks and 100 rounds of mini-mags, but we have a great time. The .22 upper is quite accurate as well, which is nice, and has absolutely zero recoil - it's hard to tell if you's fired it.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Ive been thinking about getting one of their 22 uppers for my ARFCOM spikes GB lower. Care to post some pics?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting......My Spike's .22 upper that I bought in December of last year loves both the Federal bulk & minimags. Of course, I polished the rails & contact bolt contact surfaces with my Dremel tool to help with reliability. YMMV :mrgreen:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts