6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When tumble cleaning brass cases, am I the only one that wipes off each and every case with a cloth, whether after a firing, or to clean off case sizing wax?

I'm always afraid that the miniscule Media dust clinging to the case will damage the loading dies over time...not to mention gumming them up.

Please feel free to make fun of me. But I wanted to know if I'm the only one doing this.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
After sizing I throw the brass in a tumbler with dry media. I use wax to size and that stuff is pretty slick.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use corn cob Media with a little additive for cleaning, and Imperial Sizing Wax for sizing...but there is still Dust Grit clinging to each case for both operations.

I just want to know if anyone else wipes them off each time, or if I'm just wasting my time, and patience...because I dearly Hate It !

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
i run them in corncob, size using dillon spray lube, then i run them in an ultrasonic bath. i'll be replacing all of that with a rotary tumbler i bought that uses stainless steel media along with some cleaner and dish soap, i'll wipe them down after loading with a silicon cloth

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I spray mine with carb cleaner before resizing and roll 'em around on a old t-shirt. I do the same after sizing with wax to remove the residue. I vibrate them in walnut hulls when needed.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I used corn cob first early on, then tried ultrasonic ... for me, the best option hands down, has been tumbling in stainless steel pins with liquid dish soap and enough lemi-shine to fit on a 1/4" knife tip. Primer pockets and inside the case comes out Clean, and the brass looks brand new.
Stainless tumbling is more $$ for your initial setup, but this is the real deal guys.

·
Registered
798 Posts
After dry tumbling I also wipe all the cases down with a cloth before starting the sizing and loading process.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I use corn cob Media with a little additive for cleaning, and Imperial Sizing Wax for sizing...but there is still Dust Grit clinging to each case for both operations.

I just want to know if anyone else wipes them off each time, or if I'm just wasting my time, and patience...because I dearly Hate It !
I use stainless pins for the first clean also. For removing the wax I bought a 40lb bag of 2040 corn particles. I let the brass vibrate in the corn particles for about an hour. Does a nice job. I think the 40lb bag will last me forever lol. I also pull the brass from the vibrator while it is still running. I touch the cases on the rim of the bowl. Any loose material falls off, inside or outside the case. I'm more worried about loose material inside the case.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I use stainless pins for the initial cleaning. To clean the case lube off, I give the brass a quick bath in lacquer thinner (my universal solvent) and then some compressed air. Old habits die hard, LOL

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I use stainless pins for the first clean also. For removing the wax I bought a 40lb bag of 2040 corn particles. I let the brass vibrate in the corn particles for about an hour. Does a nice job. I think the 40lb bag will last me forever lol. I also pull the brass from the vibrator while it is still running. I touch the cases on the rim of the bowl. Any loose material falls off, inside or outside the case. I'm more worried about loose material inside the case.
The dust on the case probably acts like lube when running the case through the dies, allowing the case to slide into the dies with little if any resistance. I've heard of people doing it that way. I'm gotta to try it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
When tumble cleaning brass cases, am I the only one that wipes off each and every case with a cloth, whether after a firing, or to clean off case sizing wax?

I'm always afraid that the miniscule Media dust clinging to the case will damage the loading dies over time...not to mention gumming them up.

Please feel free to make fun of me. But I wanted to know if I'm the only one doing this.
No, you are not alone! I do it also. I once scratched an RCBS sizer. I suspected a contaminant in the tumbling media, so I have wiped cases ever since.

·
Super Moderator
1,429 Posts
I dump from the sifter onto a old towel or tshirt and do the whole batch at once. I'm not as bad as you :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked into cleaning with the stainless pin method...but when I read about the process, it seemed like they were describing a nightmare in spraying / cleaning out the inside of the drum to wash out the carbon, etc.

Is it that much trouble to clean out the drum? Seems like you'd get water everywhere and have to do it outside.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I looked into cleaning with the stainless pin method...but when I read about the process, it seemed like they were describing a nightmare in spraying / cleaning out the inside of the drum to wash out the carbon, etc.

Is it that much trouble to clean out the drum? Seems like you'd get water everywhere and have to do it outside.
No, the stainless wet tumble is the only way to go. Never had to clean the drum. Sounds like a myth. Been tumbling this way for years. More than half the stuff you read online is BS anyways. I still use a dry tumbler with walnut on occasion but stainless wet tumble is the only way to go. As for all the harsh chemicals, I gave that sh!t up years ago, no need for it. Plus I'm trying to avoid cancer since everyone in my family dies from it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts