6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the 90gr Sierra Varminters no longer being produced, what is the generally preferred home defense round these days? I spent my early 6.8 days focusing on hunting (I have a Cardinal Armory 18" barrel that might have the old hard chrome issues) and not on home defense. I'm getting ready to build a 2nd 6.8SPC rifle and am going to dedicate one to home and one to hunting. With the 75gr being the preferred 5.56 round for defense, should I be looking at the lightest 6.8 rounds available? I would prefer to not have overpenetration since this is an old house with the neighbors' house about 20ft away on one side.

Another factor is availability of reloading components so I can duplicate the factory load for practice and keep the factory ammo for shtf situations.

·
Registered
363 Posts
With the 90gr Sierra Varminters no longer being produced, what is the generally preferred home defense round these days? I spent my early 6.8 days focusing on hunting (I have a Cardinal Armory 18" barrel that might have the old hard chrome issues) and not on home defense. I'm getting ready to build a 2nd 6.8SPC rifle and am going to dedicate one to home and one to hunting. With the 75gr being the preferred 5.56 round for defense, should I be looking at the lightest 6.8 rounds available? I would prefer to not have overpenetration since this is an old house with the neighbors' house about 20ft away on one side.

Another factor is availability of reloading components so I can duplicate the factory load for practice and keep the factory ammo for shtf situations.
Probably the federal AE varmint rounds. 90 Grain TNT. Was running about $33 a box of 50. Hopefully I can get some velocity data for you today. Heading to test some hand loads, finally got a chrono. O have a 16" Bison barrel.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably the federal AE varmint rounds. 90 Grain TNT. Was running about $33 a box of 50. Hopefully I can get some velocity data for you today. Heading to test some hand loads, finally got a chrono. O have a 16" Bison barrel.
That would be really helpful. Thanks!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
That would be really helpful. Thanks!

Wasnt able to get chrono numbers on 90 grain today. Wind started kicking around and kept pushing the chrono around. I was able to test a couple rounds of Hornady American Gunner. From the "Bison" chamber its running about 2650 out of a 16" so about 100 fps over the listed velocity. If the 90 AE did the same it wipp be about 3000 fps.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Barnes has a frangible 85gr projectile for the 6.8... the MPG

I'm not finding any factory loads available for purchase, only the bullet.
Wasnt able to get chrono numbers on 90 grain today. Wind started kicking around and kept pushing the chrono around. I was able to test a couple rounds of Hornady American Gunner. From the "Bison" chamber its running about 2650 out of a 16" so about 100 fps over the listed velocity. If the 90 AE did the same it wipp be about 3000 fps.
Thanks! 3000fps should cause a good bit of rapid disruption.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
My mistake. The old SSA, "pre-move", made a loading with the MPG.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Got some Hornady “Black”, 110g VMax to break in my barrel and keep some handy for HD. Hornady site rates it for varmints and Home Defense. They weren’t cheap at @ 28$ for a box of 20. At Grafs the 110g VMax heads are 27.99 / 100.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My 1911 sleeps next to me with 3 loaded mags of 230 gr hardball. If I have to get the AR out, over penetration isn't on my mind. And I know where my children sleep. The bedrooms are all in one section of the ranch. Xman's bullet thread in the hunting section is excellent with a bunch of data. The 90 gr XM68GD is now sold as the MSR in 90 gr. 115 if you are that concerned. And I understand being concerned.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Got some Hornady “Black”, 110g VMax to break in my barrel and keep some handy for HD. Hornady site rates it for varmints and Home Defense. They weren’t cheap at @ 28$ for a box of 20. At Grafs the 110g VMax heads are 27.99 / 100.
Ouch! Breaking a barrel in at over a dollar a round would be rough.
Watch ammoseek.com.
Realize a few companies try and make up for low prices by charging outrageous shipping, so don't get too excited.
I got some of that Hornady 110 Gr HP stuff in the 200 round cans, 400 rds total for $281 shipped a couple weeks ago. Keep watching and something reasonable is bound to come up.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Ouch! Breaking a barrel in at over a dollar a round would be rough.
Watch ammoseek.com.
Realize a few companies try and make up for low prices by charging outrageous shipping, so don't get too excited.
I got some of that Hornady 110 Gr HP stuff in the 200 round cans, 400 rds total for $281 shipped a couple weeks ago. Keep watching and something reasonable is bound to come up.
Hawai’i doesn’t allow ammo to be shipped to a residence... getting my reloading bench back up and running is a priority.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
read an article once upon a time that said the Syrian security forces protecting their President used 90 grn Speer Gold Dots in short barreled 6.8. Kind of figured that showed potential use as a defensive item. pics posted by members show elk and mule deer and large hogs.......keep in mind accurate shot placement is essential to an ethical harvest. I would be comfy with 90 grn 6.8 defense.

·
Registered
626 Posts
XM68GD is my primary and preferred load. This is literally what it was designed for; a barrier blind defensive/offensive load.

I also like the Hornady V-Max as well. It was designed as a varmint projectile for the .270 Win and it’s very high velocity. With the reduced velocity from a 6.8, it actually holds together much better and does not fragment as violently as most people assume. The Hornady 110gr OTM was one of the intitial designs (along with similarly built 115gr) and is always a solid performer. It has also been given the nod by DocGKR back in the early days.

Go through XMan’s phenomenal and methodical Bullet testing post that covers most common projectiles at varying distances/velocities. It can help you pick a projectile that generally performs the way you prefer

·
Registered
626 Posts
Sorry, I just read that you were concerned with over penetration.

MPG handloads or AE varmint 90gr TNT is probably your best bet in those regards.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I want a bullet that will break through an arm bone and still have the butt to carry most of the way through the chest cavity. I'm not worried about ideal situations where the bad guy stands directly facing me with his arms down and waits for my shot...I'm concerned about a guy with his arms up in front of him because he is pointing/firing a gun at me. I need penetration...not two feet of it, but at least a 99 percent chance that the core of the bullet is going to make it to the 12 inch IWB/FBI minimum (I may be misquoting those in haste).

I've often recently toyed with the idea of swapping out my 5.56 for a 6.8 for HD. If I do, the 90gr Gold Dot/Fusion in whatever factory loading is my bullet of choice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts