6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in finding a cheap high mag scope as a temporary place holder on my .20P upper so I can shoot it. 6-24 or more. I've been looking at the Firefield 8-32 for a little over $100. The .20P is on a 24" barrel and a reasonably heavy gun so it's not like recoil is going to destroy it, it recoils slightly more than a .22.

Does anyone have any input on any of these for performance? I completely understand the limits of cheap optics, and again, this would be a temporary place holder on an otherwise complete upper.

-Alexander

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I'm interested in finding a cheap high mag scope as a temporary place holder on my .20P upper so I can shoot it. 6-24 or more. I've been looking at the Firefield 8-32 for a little over $100. The .20P is on a 24" barrel and a reasonably heavy gun so it's not like recoil is going to destroy it, it recoils slightly more than a .22.

Does anyone have any input on any of these for performance? I completely understand the limits of cheap optics, and again, this would be a temporary place holder on an otherwise complete upper.

-Alexander
only thing I have heard about firefield is that they have a very short eye relief and are very sensitive to shooters eye position in regards to accuracy and keeping the same POI, other than that I have seen some good reviews about their scopes..I considered one of their low power scopes until I saw the issue with poor eye relief

·
Super Moderator
21,650 Posts
Eyeball the Vortex Crossfire series. I have a 6-24 for bench work... been fine (so long as a torque down the mount properly) :a43:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The good part is you recognize the limitations of the cheaper ones, especially when it comes to glass clarity and eye relief. Most people go in expecting top of the line everything, and then get upset when the scope is fickle or not clear.

As far as that budget goes, I would either recommend:

Vortex Crossfire 6-18 AO for $220
Mueller APV 4.5-14 for $135

My experience with cheaper high mag scopes is the high magnifications become pretty useless. You have to be on a perfect bench with exactingly precise eye relief, otherwise you will only see half moons and darkness. The reason I chose the two above is Vortex has usually better glass for the value, and would get you out a ways. The Mueller is similar in that regard, and does well for how low priced it is.

While I know you said you wanted super high magnification, I think you will be able to see and shoot a lot better with a clearer/less mag scope, then a shakier high mag one. I found myself changing out optics quite a bit for a while, until I started getting higher end class optics. I realized that I could see better to 500 yards with my 9X Zeiss than my 24X Burris. While it may not have been as big in the scope (which may make a difference if you are into competitive target shooting), I could see better and as a result shoot better. So that's my .02. If you went up to $400 or so, you could even get more value for the magnification budget.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Eyeball the Vortex Crossfire series. I have a 6-24 for bench work... been fine (so long as a torque down the mount properly) :a43:
Just installed a new Vortex Crossfire 4-12x for a buddy today. He picked it up on Ebay for around $150. Good glass.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do shoot competitively and this is for a .204 caliber upper. So having higher mag will help see the small holes. I am currently using 24x on my 6.8 upper for long range silhouette and am perfectly fine with it off a bipod.

I will look into those options though, thanks for the recommendations!

-Alexander

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should note my thoughts on a small eye box/eye relief. I personally don't feel it is a bad thing, in certain situations or on certain rifles. To me, having to put my eye in the exact same place everytime is not much different than putting your nose on the charging handle or any other "anchor point" for your cheek weld. On a 3 gun or hunting rifle in not controlled situations where a low ready or no ready position is your starting point, you need to have a generous eye box that allows you to throw the rifle up and aquire your target very quickly. I'm shooting either prone or from a bench with a 13 pound rifle and 24" barrel, not woods walking with these guns.

Of the cheap optics concerns, I find that contrast and chromatic aberrations are a bigger deal than edge clarity and eye relief. Contrast can make up for clarity a little bit, but chromatic aberration/achromatism will ruin any high mag optic no matter how clear it appears to be. I can deal with no or minimal coatings to get properly ground glass.

Now, another low buck brand I have been considering is Swift Premier. I have heard good things about them, but very little in total.

-Alexander

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would take a look at the bsa contender 6-24x40 for $133 at optics planet. I have shot a buddies 6.8 with the 4-16 on it and it is clear with good eye relief.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually have a 15 year old 6-24 BSA contender on my 6.8 now, it is a very good scope for the money. I have been looking for another older one as most of them the last several years had a horrible rubberized coating that gets sticky over time. My BSA tracks very well, is surprisingly clear and has acceptable optical performance. I was just curious about some of the other low buck options out there if I can't find another older contender model. They are also recommended in the RF scene as good beginner bench scopes. I even had this scope on 2 .30-'06 bolt rifles and never had an issue!

-Alexander

·
Registered
273 Posts
look for a Nikon Buckmaster side focus (Natchez is usually a good source), otherwise the Mueller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
770 Posts
I bought a Bushnell 6-24x 40mm Dusk & Dawn scope off of SWFA's Sample List for a very reasonable price. They are a good place to find a temporary scope cheap.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the recommendations guys, but I have this covered now. My dad pulled a cheap barska 4-14 off of an old .22 he isn't using much anymore so I can get this upper shootable while I finish off some other projects and roll my quarters for a scope to live permanently on this upper. It's not 24x but it's the right price!

Glad to have this thing ready for the range now!

-Alexander

1 - 13 of 13 Posts