6.8 SPC Forums banner

301 - 320 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I posted a photo a few posts ago of my ground down shellholder.
You might want to read the rest of this thread for information.
Why reinvent the wheel?

My new Labradar shows my Six5 is averaging 2895fps with an 85gr Sierra with 1.6cc of Leverevolution.
I didn't think it would be that high. The primers show no pressure signs.

·
Registered
14,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
I posted a photo a few posts ago of my ground down shellholder.
You might want to read the rest of this thread for information.
Why reinvent the wheel?

My new Labradar shows my Six5 is averaging 2895fps with an 85gr Sierra with 1.6cc of Leverevolution.
Who are you replying to?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was replying to B4llsD33P. I thought it might help if his die was a little short like mine was.

On another point: I searched for Six5 on 65Grendel.com and received many hits.

After reading a few posts it became evident they were not talking about this cartridge (Six5 / 6.5SPC) but the 6.5 Grendel.

Naming conventions may be set but it sure can be confusing.

·
Registered
14,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
I was replying to B4llsD33P. I thought it might help if his die was a little short like mine was.

On another point: I searched for Six5 on 65Grendel.com and received many hits.

After reading a few posts it became evident they were not talking about this cartridge (Six5 / 6.5SPC) but the 6.5 Grendel.

Naming conventions may be set but it sure can be confusing.
There are some that think SIX8 or SIX5 is just a cool way of saying 6.8 or 6.5. I've seen several posts where guys have ordered SIX8 pmags and then get pissed when they don't fit their rifle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just reloaded the same ten Six5 (6.5 SPC) cases with 85gr Sierra HP, Federal 200 primers and 1.9cc (29.1gr) of Leverevolution (LVR).
Maybe I'll get 3000fps. I read that there is not enough case volume using LVR to go over pressure.
I measured the COAL this time to be 2.218". I left the die set since last time so it is the same. I did not check for chamber fit.
I just found out they don't need me for jury duty tomorrow so I will head to the range tomorrow and try my new Labradar with these and some 308 Win.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did a bit more work.

Fired shoulder: 1.380"
I bumped the shoulder all the way back to 1.373", still needs force to close the bolt.

Also tried reducing the size of the bushing, no luck.

One thing I did notice are these gouges after extracting the case. Hopefully it's definitive of something.

·
Registered
354 Posts
As a test, take one of your fired cases of 1.380 and resize it bumping the shoulder back to 1.375 then lock the bolt back, drop the case in the chamber and release the bolt allowing the full force of the bolt carrier to chamber the case. Then take it out and measure the shoulder set back again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As a test, take one of your fired cases of 1.380 and resize it bumping the shoulder back to 1.375 then lock the bolt back, drop the case in the chamber and release the bolt allowing the full force of the bolt carrier to chamber the case. Then take it out and measure the shoulder set back again.
Just did, and no change.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I made a mistake in the shot strings in the Labradar (LR) the last time I shot. I forgot I shot a string of factory 308 Win. These should be 2900fps and the LR reported an average of 2895fps.
Today I shot the Six5 with 85gr Sierras and 1.9cc (29.1gr) of Leverevolution for an average velocity of 2462fps. Much more reasonable.
The primers were a bit flat but no cratering. The case was nearly full of powder.
Here is a picture of my Six5 and my homemade LR extender to get the LR near the end of the muzzle on long barrel rifles. It only triggers on a severe muzzle blast so it won't accidentally trigger on a neighboring shooter's shot.
I shot a 5 shot group from the Six5 at .986 MOA. 1.250" - .264" = .986" at 100 yards.

301 - 320 of 340 Posts