6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start this out by saying I've been a hardcore Springfield XD fan for years. I currently own Two XD 40 compacts, a XD 45 compact, and a XDm 9. I needed something smaller and did not feel comfortable with my Keltech P32 (even though I have worked the gun over and have not had a FTF in over 300 rounds). I compared multiple smaller firearms, with the intent of getting a XDs in a 40 or 45. I tried the Glock-horrible trigger, tried the Beretta nano-just did not feel right, the XDs felt great, until I tried the trigger. Just when did the XDs' trigger's start feeling so horrible??? Then along came the Sig P938. Wow!

By the time I would have upgraded the XDs trigger, and put night sights on it, the cost would be well over the Sig's P938 9 mm.

The SAS model of the P938 has been deburred, and all the edges smoothed. The trigger is still heavy, but the nicest of all the small guns I tested. It took a little work getting used to fully pulling the slide back, or pulling the hammer back to get the hammer to reset (I'm used to a 1/4 pull of the slide to reset the striker on the XDs). I also am struggling getting used to a thumb safety (I am used to a trigger safety only). That said, that Sig P938 is an incredible gun. It fired everything I shoved in it without any FTF's. I broke the gun in with 200 rounds if Winchester 115g White Box ammo, and verified the Hornady 115 Critical Defense would feed and shoot well. The P938 shot dead on point-of-aim at 7 yards. It shoots about 6 inches high (for me) at 25 yards. At 7 yards off-hand, ragged holes. My group off-hand at 25 yards averaged 6-8 inches (but I suck with a handgun)

The rear sight window could stand to be widened up some, but with the white dots on the rear and front, both wind and elevation are acceptable. The night sights are bright, but a different color for the front sight would be nice.

The p938 does kick some, but is VERY manageable with the 7 round magazine (extra grip length).

All-in-all, I love the gun. Shoots great, accurate, light, and conceals like a small .380. Money well spent!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'll start this out by saying I've been a hardcore Springfield XD fan for years. I currently own Two XD 40 compacts, a XD 45 compact, and a XDm 9. I needed something smaller and did not feel comfortable with my Keltech P32 (even though I have worked the gun over and have not had a FTF in over 300 rounds). I compared multiple smaller firearms, with the intent of getting a XDs in a 40 or 45. I tried the Glock-horrible trigger, tried the Beretta nano-just did not feel right, the XDs felt great, until I tried the trigger. Just when did the XDs' trigger's start feeling so horrible??? Then along came the Sig P938. Wow!

By the time I would have upgraded the XDs trigger, and put night sights on it, the cost would be well over the Sig's P938 9 mm.

The SAS model of the P938 has been deburred, and all the edges smoothed. The trigger is still heavy, but the nicest of all the small guns I tested. It took a little work getting used to fully pulling the slide back, or pulling the hammer back to get the hammer to reset (I'm used to a 1/4 pull of the slide to reset the striker on the XDs). I also am struggling getting used to a thumb safety (I am used to a trigger safety only). That said, that Sig P938 is an incredible gun. It fired everything I shoved in it without any FTF's. I broke the gun in with 200 rounds if Winchester 115g White Box ammo, and verified the Hornady 115 Critical Defense would feed and shoot well. The P938 shot dead on point-of-aim at 7 yards. It shoots about 6 inches high (for me) at 25 yards. At 7 yards off-hand, ragged holes. My group off-hand at 25 yards averaged 6-8 inches (but I suck with a handgun)

The rear sight window could stand to be widened up some, but with the white dots on the rear and front, both wind and elevation are acceptable. The night sights are bright, but a different color for the front sight would be nice.

The p938 does kick some, but is VERY manageable with the 7 round magazine (extra grip length).

All-in-all, I love the gun. Shoots great, accurate, light, and conceals like a small .380. Money well spent!
yes i love my p938. shoots like a bigger gun indeed. it is acurate and recoil isn't too bad for such a light weight micro gun. it fits my hand great with the extended grip. it is my favorite handgun to shoot. i don't have many though. i looked at a lot of micro guns and this one really is great. great fit and easy to shoot.

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
The P938 shot dead on point-of-aim at 7 yards. It shoots about 6 inches high (for me) at 25 yards. try playing with trigger finger placement, dry fire and hold and keep tapping trigger and watch where your nose/front sight goes, it should tighten up the groups also, consistency will be key once the sweet spot is figured out At 7 yards off-hand, ragged holes. My group off-hand at 25 yards averaged 6-8 inches (but I suck with a handgun) thats not too bad considering being a little gun, 25 yards is long ways for the little guns (but still necessary in todays SD)
!
try low powered ammo to start, will help find the sweet spot of handling new gun and after that is perfected the normal rounds will be easy to manage accurately

the trigger will wear in nice and probably feel lighter down the road. dry fire it a lot.

I never liked the triggers in the SD's or glocks, i'll deal with a thumb safety over em any day (probably reason ya think ya suck with a handgun, i cant shoot a heavy 2 stage H.gun trigger worth a $h!t either)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I bought the black w/rubber grips p938. I do prefer the thumb safety because I've carried a 1911 most of my life. It's just natural to me. Where I go, my P938 goes. My brother liked mine well enough he bought the SAS for his wife. Sig did a good job when the designed this little 9mm. I'm feeding it the Sig Sauer 124gr HP.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have had my 938 SAS for a couple of years. It has always performed flawlessly. Very accurate and easily concealed. I also have carried 1911s so the thumb safely feels right to me. It has been my EDC since the day I bought it. Very nice pistol.

·
Registered
80 Posts
you guys have never had problems with 115gr ammo? my buddy swears his doesnt like anything but 147.

I enjoy shooting his 938 though. Still like my XDs more

·
Registered
61 Posts
.......the trigger will wear in nice and probably feel lighter down the road. dry fire it a lot....)
Agreed.

@domboost - Initial break-in of my SAS 938 consisted of 200 rounds Federal 115 gr FMJ and then shot the following hollow points to test for feed issues: 50 rounds Speer 115 gr GDHP, 50 rounds Speer 124 gr GDHP, 50 rounds Speer 147 gr GDHP and 50 rounds Federal 147 gr Hydra-Shok. Zero issues (no FTF, FTE, stovepipe, etc.) with any of the ammo used. Since the initial break-in I have shot a minimum of 500 rounds of 124 gr FMJ and close to another 500 rounds of Federal/Speer 124 and 147 HP with zero issues.

·
Registered
587 Posts
can't say enough how much i like the fit and shootablility of such a small lightweight gun. it feels like a real gun too with out the polymers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Agreed.

@domboost - Initial break-in of my SAS 938 consisted of 200 rounds Federal 115 gr FMJ and then shot the following hollow points to test for feed issues: 50 rounds Speer 115 gr GDHP, 50 rounds Speer 124 gr GDHP, 50 rounds Speer 147 gr GDHP and 50 rounds Federal 147 gr Hydra-Shok. Zero issues (no FTF, FTE, stovepipe, etc.) with any of the ammo used. Since the initial break-in I have shot a minimum of 500 rounds of 124 gr FMJ and close to another 500 rounds of Federal/Speer 124 and 147 HP with zero issues.
thank you sir. i'm going to have to tell my buddy so he relax. maybe i'll even let him shoot some of my hand loaded gold dots

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.