6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone own a SIG 1911 Match Elite in .40 Cal? i have one and I've yet to shoot a match without malfunctions. When it jams it's a show stopper, it's like the bullet welds to the feed ramp. the slide won't move, the mag won't come out. we had to take a rod and drive the round back into the magazine from the barrel end, then had to use the same rod to push the mag out! no problems before or after that but it seems to be cumulative. starts out o.k. then after about 80 rounds bad things start to happen. i really don't want to send it back to SIG because all they will do is shoot 10 rounds through it and send it back and say it works fine. (i sent a rifle back and they did nothing to it). yes i do shoot handloads, almost ALL competitors do and SIG knows this but they will say it's the load and void any work. it really hates round shoulder bullets, does o.k. with TC, and RN. I've tried plated and coated and lead. never tried wad cutters. I've had the gun over a year and a half. I've changed the factory recoil spring to 18lb, I've tried the factory spring, I've used their issue mags, i now have Tripp cobra and Wilson combat mags. I've tried both 10mm and .40 cal mags. all loads meet major power factor toward the high end. I've shot comps for years, and never seen anything as frustrating like this. just seeing if anyone else has these issues. thanks for looking.
dw

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Anyone own a SIG 1911 Match Elite in .40 Cal? i have one and I've yet to shoot a match without malfunctions. When it jams it's a show stopper, it's like the bullet welds to the feed ramp. the slide won't move, the mag won't come out. we had to take a rod and drive the round back into the magazine from the barrel end, then had to use the same rod to push the mag out! no problems before or after that but it seems to be cumulative. starts out o.k. then after about 80 rounds bad things start to happen. i really don't want to send it back to SIG because all they will do is shoot 10 rounds through it and send it back and say it works fine. (i sent a rifle back and they did nothing to it). yes i do shoot handloads, almost ALL competitors do and SIG knows this but they will say it's the load and void any work. it really hates round shoulder bullets, does o.k. with TC, and RN. I've tried plated and coated and lead. never tried wad cutters. I've had the gun over a year and a half. I've changed the factory recoil spring to 18lb, I've tried the factory spring, I've used their issue mags, i now have Tripp cobra and Wilson combat mags. I've tried both 10mm and .40 cal mags. all loads meet major power factor toward the high end. I've shot comps for years, and never seen anything as frustrating like this. just seeing if anyone else has these issues. thanks for looking.
dw
I have not had that exact gun but have had several Sig pistols of various models. One of the common issues I've found with the ones I had is that due to their tight tolerances there is a sweet spot for lubrication that you have to maintain. Too little and the tight fit causes problems, too much and it creates additional resistance between the slide and frame as the oil/lube has a suction effect on both surfaces.

In addition, 1911's can be finicky about what bullets/COAL they will feed well. I've had better success with "tight" pistols by finding a factory load that functions reliably and then duplicating the round with handloads to include bullet shape, COAL, velocity and factory crimp. Using the Lee FCD makes a world of difference in how my hand loads run, especially when using them in a variety of different pistols.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts