6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have or shot a sig 556? I know the rear sight is kinda cheap but with an eotech, aimpoint or acog would be worth looking into? Any opinions would be great.

Accuracy ?

Function ?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
My brother has one and wants another. His first Sig556 is the standard model with the telescopic stock from Fabarms. It's nice and shoots well. The 550 purists (even though only 50 were brought to the US) are full of crap IMO, as the 556 shoots well, seems to be well designed, and there are more and more accessories for them not to mention using AR mags is a great idea over some specialized Sig only magazine you may never see considering the recent elections. You can get railed forends, folding stocks, AR detachable BUIS if you don't like the standard ones.

I want one also, but have other projects going on right now.

They start around $1300 and for Sig quality and warranty, an AK based extremely reliable piston driven rifle with AR mags, and stock choices you can't go wrong. I read that Sig plans a 6.8 version and a 7.62X51 version. Please get them to us soon!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Take a look at the new classic version they have coming out. It looks very close to the original 550 series. I really like this one although not sure what the price will be yet (i am sure it will cost more than the other 556 :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info guys , it just makes me want one even more know. The same mag as an ar15 and the telescoping stocks interchange . It looks to be a reliable platform, a 6.8 version would be an added bonus as well.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Did you know Sig is working on an "AR" Sig piston upper? Yep, it's being developed.

The Sig 556 Classic just came out and it looks very Sig-like for those who love the lines of the 550's.

The 556 may be the best, most refined, version of the AK system, plus it uses AR mags. Someone looking for a high line military style rifle should take a look at these.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Burt for the cost I will take a XCR every time. Everything the Sig is and much more.But Sig is well Sig and that is a big something. :mrgreen: I really like the 556s.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Tim_W said:
Burt for the cost I will take a XCR every time. Everything the Sig is and much more.But Sig is well Sig and that is a big something. :mrgreen: I really like the 556s.
If I vary from the AR platform, it will be between the XCR and the Sig 556. I wish I could find an XCR locally to play with. I've played with the 556 and am impressed. From what Tim and Constructor have passed on about the XCR, it really sounds like the understated deal out there right now. The 556 obviously is only available in 556 currently, so I'm not sure if I want to go that route right now unless I part with 5.56 ARs to make room. It is tempting and if I can have a few more in the collection before the upcoming legislative issues I would like to have one.

·
Registered
13,964 Posts
ArtFWTx said:
Tim_W said:
If I vary from the AR platform, it will be between the XCR and the Sig 556. I wish I could find an XCR locally to play with. I've played with the 556 and am impressed. From what Tim and Constructor have passed on about the XCR, it really sounds like the understated deal out there right now. The 556 obviously is only available in 556 currently, so I'm not sure if I want to go that route right now unless I part with 5.56 ARs to make room. It is tempting and if I can have a few more in the collection before the upcoming legislative issues I would like to have one.
After talking to Alex Robinson a few months ago and linking him to our 50 page report I would say he is working on new specs in the 6.8. If he is anything like me he will have it at SHOT.
Both the Sig and XCR uses a modified AK type bolt and piston system, reliable for sure, I have heard they are also accurate.
The 556 complete rifle can be had for $1400, The XCR is more and that may be what is holding it back. Sig is a big name and cheap, then there are small companies other than Robinson with unproven systems that are selling piston guns for $2500!!! If Sig had a piston model 68 for $1400 I would have 10.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
I didnt like the first 556 I handled, I gave them some suggestions to change it and some of those changes came through, if they come out with a 6.8 with the correct specs I will buy one.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
There are a few variations of the Sig 556 available now so they definitely listened to their customers. I'd consider the side folder and the railed forend. The new 556 Classic being released now looks like the classic 550 with the Sig 550 style folder, and the 550 looking forend. Yeah, a nice spec'd Sig 6.8 rifle would be the ticket starting at $1400.

I've seen Sigs at local gun shops in the DFW area, and at gun shows. The XCR remains an elusive beastie in North Texas. If Robinson brings updated 6.8 specs to market, that would be hard to turn down also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts