6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
I got guns, you got guns, we all got guns! Free to the bone, please do not f**k with me.
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do ya'll think of having a side charging handle on a slick side upper without a forward assist?

Or not having the forward assist or charging handle?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I strongly prefer the Frontier Armory left side charger that is non reciprocating over the traditional AR. The Frontier Armory model comes with a special cam pin that allows you to use with any standard BCG. I have 2 in 223 Wylde and one in 6.8.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My 6.8 is a 16" ARP screwed to a JoeBob's non-reciprocating upper. Identical to the Frontier Armory model. With no forward assist, you'll have to be OK with pulling it back and letting the bolt fly no matter the noise it makes. For me that is not a problem really. My only problem with that set-up is carrying it slung on my back or even across my chest. Charging handle digs into my chest or back while walking. Yes, I live in KS but where I mostly hunt entails 5-6 miles of walking for a dead dear. I deal with it because I love the round and gun that spits out those 95 grain pennies so accurately.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I have 3. I don't have any issues with closing the bolt quietly. When let the bolt down easy, I finish closing the bolt by placing my thumb in the bolt recess and pushing forward. When I think about the times I've purposely used the forward assist, it has only caused me more trouble getting a stuck case out.

I still have a standard charge handle installed. Sometimes I use it out of habit even with the side charge handle installed. To be honest, I rarely use the charge handle now because it interferes with the brass catcher. Losing a piece of brass nowadays feels like losing your first born child.

Reactions: Waterloo Kid

·
Super Moderator
12,650 Posts
If you have a side charging upper with reciprocating charging handle then the forward assist is useless. Fwd assist is pretty much useless to me anyway but that is another subject all together.

Reactions: Strawdawg
1 - 8 of 8 Posts