6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a PSA 16" 1:7 upper that I haven't shot much yet to see what it likes best but I would like to lay in some "just in case ammo" now.

There is some 500 Rd bulk available in.556 NATO 55g FMJ M183 IMI.

How is this (best guess) likely to perform in my rifle ?

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Mine shoot Minute of Man (4-5 inches at 100)....Have two of them, one of them I Free Floated the barrel and polished the trigger managed to shrink the group by an inch.

Considering the total cost of the rifle was $350 (purchased in 2017) I am not complaining. I would get more but at $600+ ($500 rifle kit, $50 LWR, $50 Rear sight) I am less interested in a Minute of Man Rifle.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Whatever you have the most of that is reasonable accurate.

·
Registered
80 Posts
With the cost of ammo the way it is, get what you can when you can. I would say look into reloading but that is just as bad cost wise. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No offense, but if you’re preparing this late, whatever you can get will do.

M193 will be adequate for your purposes.
No offense taken. I am well prepared with 7.62x39, 6.8 SPC, 22LR & moderately prepped in 5 or 6 other rounds.
I just haven't been able to shoot the 556 enough to know what it likes.

·
Registered
724 Posts
As indicated by Wassman, I wouldn’t expect too much accuracy out of that barrel, especially with milspec ammo. But it should at least get the job done for the intended purpose.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
How many zombies are you thinking you might have to shoot and at what range? When the smoke clears( if you are still standing) you can always scrounge their guns and ammo .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I had, until I lost it in a tragic boating accident (;)), a 16 inch 1/7 PSA upper as part of an M4gery, not floated. It grouped like WASSMAN said with the 55 grain rounds, but, depending on me, I could get 1.5 - 2.0 with 62 grain green tips. Either would work fine for the scenario you are preparing for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How many zombies are you thinking you might have to shoot and at what range? When the smoke clears( if you are still standing) you can always scrounge their guns and ammo .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
I'm not expecting aything like zombie appocolipse or CWII or overestimating my lifespan therein but I'd rather have 'em and not need 'em. They have a pretty good shelf life.

The above mentioned 55g ammo went from 54 to 0 available before I could order. :p:p

These Still America 5.56 62 GR FMJ BT are on the way to my house right now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had, until I lost it in a tragic boating accident (;)), a 16 inch 1/7 PSA upper as part of an M4gery, not floated. It grouped like WASSMAN said with the 55 grain rounds, but, depending on me, I could get 1.5 - 2.0 with 62 grain green tips. Either would work fine for the scenario you are preparing for.
My 6.8SPC was created to make holes where I want them and very close together.

My cheap PSA .556 was made to turn money into noise, holes in stuff and smiles as cheaply as possible.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you can find Soft Points or other controlled expansion projectiles (bonded hollow points, monolithics etc.) that would be significantly better than 55gr FMJ. You have AOA issues from 0-50 yards and velocity issues past 150 yards with 55gr and 62gr Green Tip. They are just not consistent loads for 5.56 in terms of wounding and without fragmentation or expansion, it's effectively a high velocity .22LR...

There's a reason that 5.56 has been so controversial among military troops over the last two decades. Some soldiers report it does it's job in 1-2 shots while others report having 5 to 7 consecutive through and through hits (ice picking) to stop an opponent at close range (not good, that's time wasted on engaging the target which NOT efficient and lots of ammo wasted that could have been saved for future use).

There's also a reason it's not legal to hunt deer or other medium sized game with 5.56 of any load in many states. Even with properly performing loads, it's wounding potential is not as good as intermediate or larger calibers. But that aside, if your going with a 5.56 upper in your arsenal (which I get due to commonality), load choice can give you over match against an opponent using 55gr or 62gr green tip.

Neither the Army (M855A1 monolithic copper slug with a steel penetrator tip) nor the Marines (MK318 barrier blind) use XM193 or M855 for anything but training purposes since around 2010. Yah they are better than nothing, but if you can find something else, I'd consider a better load. Your highest priority should be lethality, not quantity.

It only takes ONE encounter where you ammunition fails to perform for the bad guy to win. At that point it does NOT matter how much of anything you have. While that may be counter intuitive to the "prepper" mentality, that is the mentality that any higher tier unit takes, placing an emphasis on lethality (shot placement and load performance) vs. lower tier units. Combine that with higher levels of training and we have increased overall effectiveness.

While any load in any caliber can fail to incapacitate, some have very rare occurrences of failure (aka they almost always work) while others have frequent occurrences. I attached the 2008 Roberts report, but here are a few key points:

"The disturbing failure of 5.56 mm to consistently offer adequate incapacitation
has been known for nearly 15 years. Dr. Fackler’s seminal work at the
Letterman Army Institute of Research Wound Ballistic Laboratory during the
1980’s illuminated the yaw and fragmentation mechanism by which 5.56 mm
FMJ bullets create wounds in tissue. If 5.56 mm bullets fail to upset (yaw,
fragment, or deform) within tissue, the results are
relatively insignificant wounds, similar to those
produced by .22 LR--this is true for ALL
5.56 mm bullets, including military FMJ , OTM, and AP,
as well as JHP and JSP designs used in LE. This failure of 5.56 mm bullets to
upset can be caused by reduced impact velocities when hitting targets at
longer ranges, as well as by the decreased muzzle velocity when using short
barrel carbines. Failure to upset can also occur when bullets pass through
minimal tissue, such as a limb or the torso of a thin, small statured individual,
as the bullet may exit the body before it has a chance to upset. Finally, bullet
design and construction plays a major role in reliable bullet upset. Without
consistent bullet upset, wounding effects are decreased, rapid incapacitation
is unlikely, and enemy combatants may continue to pose a threat to friendly
forces and innocent civilians."

"5.56 mm BOTTOM LINE
Simply adopting new 5.56 mm barrier
blind combat loads that are optimized for
shorter barrels, offer consistent early
upset, along with adequate penetration,
and minimal AOA/Fleet yaw issues may
be the critical answer to many
deficiencies noted with currently issued
U.S. military 5.56 mm ammunition."

While clearly 6.8 SPC out performed 5.56 in all metrics of performance in that report and several others, 5.56 can be reasonably effective with the proper load design. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well if your by a river, if we're talking zombies, take a page from the Walking Dead. Save the ammo and steer the heard into the water. Save the ammo for human adversaries looking to take your life to get your stuff (or just because hey enjoy murder).

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 5.56/.223 upper with 1:7 twist (not PSA) and it doesn't like the lighter (shorter) bullets. It does well for groups with the 62 grain green tip and with Winchester 64 grain Power Points. Groups are noticeably larger when shooting 55 grain bullets. I recently got some 69 grain match ammo to shoot through it but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I assume that a 1:8 or 1:9 twist will group the 55 grain bullets better. I think the 1:7 twist over stabilizes them or something. But as was said, the groups aren't so bad that I would miss a man at 100 yards and in today's climate you have to take what you can get. But with the 1:7 twist rate you have, I would get bullets on the heavier side for caliber (62 grains and above) if you have the luxury of choosing between more than one bullet weight.

·
Registered
275 Posts
For Hd with 1 or few intruders, my go to is xm68gd. I have plenty left.

My training is all done with 5.56. For hoards of zombies, my preferred first 1000 rounds are 55gr .223 gold dots. If I make it past that, Im already ahead and fmj will have to do.

Your fmj will be fine. Remember, it's travelling at 3000fps.

·
Registered
399 Posts
For SHTF ammo, I'll shoot whatever fits the chamber and my "stash" shows it! From mil-surp to high grade factory in 5.56/.223 and whatever I can cheaply purchase in 6.8mm.
I could give a red rat's rear when I'm shooting in defense.
When hunting, I'll always grab the 6.8 and 90 grain ammo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts