6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to see some of the nice bucks or deer taken with the 6.8 along with the story

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
This is the 4 point I shot with my son a few years ago. We had been bow hunting this group of 6 or 7 bucks but it was impossible to get in there without spooking the deer. So I waited until rifle season and went in with the 6.8. I shot the first one to jump up. Of course I got the little one. Still an ok buck. 138" is what we scored him at. My brother shot the second one to jump up. It was a slightly bigger 5 pt. Then the big ones jumped up and ran. Not my biggest deer. Not my smallest either.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My first year with my 6.8 was uneventful. Year two only made 10 minutes into firearms season. Not much of a story. I heard the proverbial "twig snap", and saw him coming from my left. Shot him at 20 yards, and he ran 30 yards and stopped. I'm certain he was about to fall but I have him one more and he fell without moving. I wish I hadn't shot again, because those two SST's pretty much destroyed the front end of that deer. Either way, a nice buck for Virginia, though I had 3-4 bigger bucks on camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,732 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts

This is my brothers deer, killed with his 6.8 pistol with 12.5" barrel. He used 115 grain Federal Fusion. Killed 12/19/2015.
I'd like to say it was an ARP barrel but it was not, H was out of barrels at the time. It was a barrel made from a Green Mountain Blank we had made to our specs

And the European Mount.

I shot this Spike last year 6.8 16" Scout barrel with 90 grain gold dots suppressed.

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Registered
698 Posts
The Axis Deer are free-ranging in Stonewall, Texas and I shot this 205lb Axis buck on my buddy's farm. Herd of 200 plus eating on his wheat so we took a total of eight which I shot four of and this big boy jump up and only 75 yds away.

I used the 6.8 loaded with the 120 SST's:

·
Registered
251 Posts
My first year with my 6.8 was uneventful. Year two only made 10 minutes into firearms season. Not much of a story. I heard the proverbial "twig snap", and saw him coming from my left. Shot him at 20 yards, and he ran 30 yards and stopped. I'm certain he was about to fall but I have him one more and he fell without moving. I wish I hadn't shot again, because those two SST's pretty much destroyed the front end of that deer. Either way, a nice buck for Virginia, though I had 3-4 bigger bucks on camera.
Very nice Virginia buck! If I manage to shoot one that nice during next year's firearm season I'll consider it a success.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Both my daughters did pretty good last season. The 11 year old got her first 8 pointer during youth season. The shot was about 80yds as he was walking directly at her, the wound on the neck is the entry. He rolled over backward there. She walked up to it and looked at the entry and said "It hit an inch high, just like I knew it would."

The 13 year old got the 17 1/2" 9 pt on the second day of regular season. She sat all day Saturday and passed on several smaller bucks. She kept saying "I'm waiting for something bigger." This one was following 2 does with another 8 and came in to about 40 yds. Her shot was quartering toward her and hit lung and liver coming in and exited the opposite rear leg. He spun around but didn't fall right away so she shot again, double lung from the other side. Maybe 5 yds from start to finish. It was destroyed inside and not fun to gut.

They both used the 18in Arp, this year we used Hornady Full Boar factory ammo, after having good success with SSTs last year. I wouldn't hesitate to use either again.

·
Registered
232 Posts
2015 buck

Deer Roe deer Horn Fawn Deer hunting
3-1/2 year old 8, 110 grain VMAX at 90 yards dos well. Buck went 60-75 yards, no exit, no blood trail, but massive internal damage. The lead core was lodged in far side hide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice

The Axis Deer are free-ranging in Stonewall, Texas and I shot this 205lb Axis buck on my buddy's farm. Herd of 200 plus eating on his wheat so we took a total of eight which I shot four of and this big boy jump up and only 75 yds away.

I used the 6.8 loaded with the 120 SST's:

Nice kill!!!
Big one

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice deer pics! Hope to get one this year!

Good to see you all pass hunting down to your sons and daughters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts