6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So was at the range with my hand loads. Had a weird issue happen twice. Gun fed a round into the chamber, but it only went part way. Couldn't pull the charging handle to extract it either. Had to hit the charging handle with a rubber mallet to get the round out. Im wondering if my seating die was pressing the shoulder out some? Its supposed to have a crimp built into the seating die (RBCS). The COAL was fine as I fired 18 other hand load rounds no issues.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use the Lee factory crimp die rather than the one in the seating die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, it must have been dimensionally different from the others you tried. What did an inspection reveal?
Haven't had time to inspect. I was able to clear tbe jam both time at the range. After the second I put it away. Will look at them today. I know one was visibly ballooned by the bullet. Didnt see that when I loaded the mag though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can think of two possible causes.

Either a stubborn flat based bullet getting squashed through a tight neck, or using the seating die's crimp feature.

I've had flat based 110 grain Vmax's in 30 caliber getting shaved by the brass in the neck of some 300BO loads I was doing. But I didn't notice that action affecting the brass, just the bullet. There's a universal flare die in my MidWay shopping cart to help those flat-based bullets into the brass for next loading session.

I have noticed the seating die crimp causing buldge problems on my loads, and have switched to Lee's dedicated crimp die as BGREED mentioned.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks guys. Ill order a lee crimping die. Im using a Lee press anyway. My other dies are Lee as well. Just the RBCS was at the local store.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Ok thanks guys. Ill order a lee crimping die. Im using a Lee press anyway. My other dies are Lee as well. Just the RBCS was at the local store.
Confused!!!!!

This is a reload?
Did you resize brass to set shoulder back enough for headspace?

If you set die per instructions, you may not have. Manufacturers instructions are generic and may not be right for your chamber. Did brass fit rifle beforeyou loaded brass?

Best not to use crimp on seating die.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Confused!!!!!

This is a reload?
Did you resize brass to set shoulder back enough for headspace?

If you set die per instructions, you may not have. Manufacturers instructions are generic and may not be right for your chamber. Did brass fit rifle beforeyou loaded brass?

Best not to use crimp on seating die.
Yes this was a reload.

All brass was resized. All brass was once fired Federal. 18 out of 20 had no issues, 2 got stuck. COAL was 2.26. Had 0 issues from my first batch a couple weeks ago, though that was all virgin brass with a shorter COAL. I think the issue was trying to use the built in crimp die, which I will not do again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I first started reloading I had this same exact issue with my rcbs dies using the crimp feature. If you don't trim the brass after each firing, it will crimp the brass more because it is longer. I thought I wasnt pushing the shoulder back enough but it was the crimp feature causing the brass to swell from excessive crimp.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Using the integral crimp feature in the bullet seating die can cause too many issues. As others have said, Lee Collet it the pest options. Ensure the seating die is backed out so that the integral crimp feature is far enough away from the case neck to not touch it. I've had it but small bulges in the case neck that I couldn't even see but it caused the same issues you had.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So was at the range with my hand loads. Had a weird issue happen twice. Gun fed a round into the chamber, but it only went part way. Couldn't pull the charging handle to extract it either. Had to hit the charging handle with a rubber mallet to get the round out. Im wondering if my seating die was pressing the shoulder out some? Its supposed to have a crimp built into the seating die (RBCS). The COAL was fine as I fired 18 other hand load rounds no issues.
Couple of things about the RCBS dies. IF yours are in a green box, those are made for bolt action guns, and it doesn't have a crimp function in the bullet seat die. The black box set of dies are made for semi-auto (AR15) type guns. The black box dies called small base, squeeze the lower portion of the case tighter for smoother operation in a semi-auto loader and has a crimp function built into the bullet seat die. You'll have to carefully read about the crimp function on the black box die set as to do the crimp properly into the cannelure bullet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
A Lee Factory Crimp die will also mess up the shoulder if it gets jammed up with dust, lube, etc. The crimping collett won;t move and pushes the shoulder back and creates a bulge just below the shoulder. The moral is to keep the insides of the FC dies clean. I ran in to this recently just as I was finishing loading about 8000 5.56 rounds. Had just made some "off label" modifications to my Dillon 550. These allow me to use it as a true progressive for short to medium length rifle cartridges 5.56, 6.8, 7.62, .243, etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is an interesting post. Just started reloading for 6.8. Had a box of different bullets for grain weight, etc. to try out. Had a Chronograph set up to measure. Put the first set in the mag, pulled the rack back, and click. Nothing. The first set is an 85 grain MPG bullet, in SSA brass. Using a STAG Varmiter Upper by the way.

Took the mag out, and reseated it. Racked it again, don't remember if the first bullet came out, or if it never racked in the first place. Pulled the trigger again, click. Now I am at the point where this thread started. It's jammed. I can't unpack it on the lower. So I take the upper off and really give the charging handle a pull. It comes out, the BCG comes out right into the freaking sand. Did I mention my neighbor has the great 66 acre pit we shoot in. Like having a private club. So I am done for the day. Please stop laughing to read the rest of the post.

So reading here about Lee and RCBS, and of course I can't remember which die I used to seat, I think RCBS. It's a green box but it says right on it, for 6.8 SPC, which I would think RCBS knows that's a semi auto, mostly. So after reading about neck sizes, I go to my test box and start measuring. The necks start out okay, under the size listed in the Lyman book. That first round did seem to get to .307 about 3/4 the way down the neck. Is that what caused the jam? How far down should the neck stay sized to that .306 spec?

I am using Harbor Freight calipers, are they good enough, or are there better?

So I go downstairs after reading this, and start measuring. Measured a PPU round, unfired, and the neck is .300. The next set of test rounds are in Federal cases, seem to be okay. So, first I need to not be an idiot and start taking better notes. Any and all suggestions will be appreciate. Thanks.

G.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just backed my seating die out. I put my ram all the way up with an empty case, then screwed the die down till it made contact. Then for safety i backed off a 1/4 turn. Havent had an issue since. Im also using the 2 piece RBCS green die set. Your COAL can still be set by turning the screw on top.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts