6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about a Silencer down the road since Ohio now lets you use them to hunt. I also would like an SBR as well. With all the new laws should I go ahead and setup a trust knowing that down the road I plan to get a couple NFA items? Is having the trust done before the deadline not enough to prevent me from having to succumb to the new 24 month law? Do i need to have the appropriate ATF Forms also filed and handled before the deadline? Please excuse the ignorance as I am new to this.

With the new laws is there now a better option than a trust?

Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
setting up a trust now is not enough to avoid the new laws. your money needs to be in the govts hands before whatever date it was they set. June something. this is was spurred me to act sooner than later.

i guess i could expand. From what i've seen a trust is still the best method even after the new law. but in all honesty, if i were you I'd get your trust today and when it comes in i would head straight to shop and buy your suppressor. You can do SBR forms online with any already owned ar.

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
The "new laws" really don't affect the purpose of a Trust.
If you want your NFA items eligible for use by family members or good friends then create a trust.

It will also make the transition/transfer of the items simple if something happens to you, because you have it laid out in the trust.

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
setting up a trust now is not enough to avoid the new laws. your money needs to be in the govts hands before whatever date it was they set. June something. this is was spurred me to act sooner than later.

i guess i could expand. From what i've seen a trust is still the best method even after the new law. but in all honesty, if i were you I'd get your trust today and when it comes in i would head straight to shop and buy your suppressor. You can do SBR forms online with any already owned ar.
So basicly i can avoid the 41F if I get a trust now but I will need to purchase the silencers immediately?

As mentioned, there's no grandfathering of any kind. Doesn't matter when the trust is set up, or if it has existing stamps. All that matters is the postmark on the envelope when you mail a paper form, or the submitted date of an EForm (which, at least for the short term, will only be usable prior to 7/13/16).

What 24-month law are you referencing? 41F will require prints and & photos for every individual, and every responsible person of an entity (along with a 5320.23) for every submission on/after 7/13/16.
Yes the 41f. It sounds like a hassle. It sounds like I need to not only have the trust but all appropriate forms submitted. Sounds like I can beat it for the SBR but unless I want to buy a Silencer this week I am SOL

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
all items must be submitted and the tax stamp paid for before 7/13/2016, so you could set up your trust now, buy a suppressor in a week, submit for an sbr next month, submit for an sbs in 2 months...,.etc...as long as the forms are submitted and the $ collected by the ATF then it will still be under the current laws ---- the key date is 7/13/2016 as was already pointed out

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
I am trying mmy hardest to get all my form 1's and form 4's in before the deadline. Including SBR's, factroy built can, home built cans, and perhaps a SBS. All my planned Form 1's are in draft and I am submitting as the money comes in. Just missing a host shotgun that I want to SBS and a couple factory cans.

I really don't want to mess with all those extra forms and fingerprints, just sounds painful.

·
Registered
348 Posts
As mentioned, there's no grandfathering of any kind. Doesn't matter when the trust is set up, or if it has existing stamps. All that matters is the postmark on the envelope when you mail a paper form, or the submitted date of an EForm (which, at least for the short term, will only be usable prior to 7/13/16).

What 24-month law are you referencing? 41F will require prints and & photos for every individual, and every responsible person of an entity (along with a 5320.23) for every submission on/after 7/13/16.
I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that with the new law, once you submit prints for your item after 7/13/16, that those prints were good for 24 months and you wouldn't have to submit prints with any purchases with in the 24 months?

·
Registered
348 Posts
You're right in the fact that you read it...but those first interpretations were wrong. I repeated it several times until I actually read 41F and figured out that's not what it said.

There is a 24-month exemption on providing the supporting documentation of the entity (copy of the trust, articles of incorporation, whatever you have)...but not on the prints and photos. They're required for every individual, and every responsible person of an entity (along with a 5320.23), and must be included with every submission.

ETA: I'll go find my explanation theory that was confirmed by ATF in case you want to see it spelled out, and will add it back to this post. Here it is.
Ok, That makes sense. Thank you for that summary. That paperwork trail at the ATF is about to get longer than the list of Hillary's lies!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts