6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The attached photos are of a case recovered after a match on April 5th. Ammo was the old SSA blue box 115gr SMK Match. This was the only case in this condition out of a total of 120rds fired. Temp was mid 60's, barrel is a Ko-Tonics 18" with 1:11 twist and SPCII chamber. Velocities of this ammo were clocked a week earlier at 2611f/s avg. The primer did not show any signs of overpressure - I decapped the brass prior to taking the photos.

Should I be concerned or treat this as an anomaly?

TIA

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
If that is the only one, I wouldn't be too concerned. I would keep an eye on the other when you shoot and see if it happens again.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The way those cuts look I would say that looks like it slipped thru QC at SSA. See the way are perfect all the way to the end of the cuts. That makes me believe that it was done my a machine in one action. I can't think of one thing that could cause that in such a perfect cut in the a Rifle. The only thing would be the extension and theres no way it would have done it there without mangling the case. My bet is it came that way probably two hair line cuts or almost thru cuts and the pressure when you fired it pushed it out and when it reflex back that is what the dimpling at the ends you can see on each of then came from. I doubt you have anything to worry about as the rest were fine so its not a lot issue. If you do get another one I would call Art up and let him know so he can swap out the ammo or whatever. Doubt you will have to though.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. This was the last of my supply of the old blue box SSA ammo and since there's no lot codes, it's impossible to know the vintage. I use the large primer brass for practice ammo anymore and loads are kept pretty mild ~2450f/s.

BTW - this ammo shot very well in my rifle, I posted a 453-6x out of a possible 500 in the HP match, which is a solid Expert level score. If I can get my Offhand scores back out of the 70s, might just make Master.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have wanted to try out HP shooting. I'll have to see what clubs/meets they have around here. I have been letting my practical accuracy with a rifle slide over the last few years and I want to get back were I was and surpass it. I am good off a bench but I tried doing some move and shoot and unsupported shooting and I was not happy. Looking at the format I think I would enjoy HP. Don't quite understand all the divisions and rules but can probably get that off the main HP site. Is there a main forum where HP guys post on?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tim,

I got into HP almost 20yrs ago simply because I wanted to buy a Garand from the DCM (now CMP). For $165, I got a low serial # M1 in pristine condition, probably worth well over $1k now. Took 8 years off when I moved to the PRK (Kalifornia, People's Republik of) and picked it back up when I relo'd back to Free America. Time waits for no one, and takes it's toll on the eyesight and body. It took me the better part of a year to get back to shooting respectable scores again.

The CMP and NRA have slightly different rules for HP matches. COF can vary somewhat depending upon the club and their affiliation. CMP sanctioned matches tend to be more strict.

Basic premise is three positions: standing offhand, sitting (or kneeling), and prone. Offhand is slow fire (single loaded). Sitting is rapid fire w/mandatory reload, prone is usually done in two stages - rapid and slow fire. Exception is the Garand match, where there is only one prone stage. Round counts per stage can vary - match may be anywhere from 30 to 80 scored rounds, plus sighters. All stages are timed. Slings are allowed (recommended) in all stages except offhand.

Full-size course is 200yds for offhand and sitting, 300yds for prone rapid, and 600yds for prone slow. Reduced courses use smaller targets to simulate the longer distances. 600yds with irons isn't as bad as it sounds as long as you know your "come-ups" (elevation settings) for your particular load, but throw in some variable winds and things get interesting.

Rules are available at www.odcmp.com and www.nra.org - there are listings of affiliated clubs and schedules on both sites. Lots of good info on the CMP forum.

Main thing is not to get discouraged. We lose a lot of first-timers because they usually don't score well, but like most things in life - practice and persistence pay off. Not everyone is David Tubb and even Master class shooters can have a bad day.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post all that info. That sounds like something I can actually do. I have plenty of practice at shooting bad so that won't bother me. :lol: :lol: I wanted to do 3 gun but in my present situation I can't do it. HP really looks like something I would enjoy. I need to see what is available in my area. I would think there has to be a decent amount given how many people shoot around here. With in 30 miles we must have 10-15 ranges. :lol: :lol: Living in the country is nice I would like to be even further from the city them I am but this is nice. I'm about 20-25 miles from the nearest town/city. Its certainly not a metro type city but it has some of the normal stores. We have 3 guns stores which are better stocked then most found in big cities or their subs. We even had a Gander open last year so that makes 4. Its expensive but I love to look and they carry a very large powder and reloading selection which is handy as even being high if you only need 1lb of xterm or h322 its worth it.

Are there any forums were they post? I would think there would be a site as popular as it is.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tim,

Veritable plethora of info out in cyberspace. Both the CMP and NRA sites have links to competition forums. Also, check out www.highpowerlinks.com for links to various forums and other info.

When I was a newbie, one of the more advanced shooters gave me a copy of the Army Marksmanship Unit Rifle shooting manual. Even though it was based around the M14, it covers all the basics and was sufficient to get me going in HP competition. Service Rifle is one of the strictest classes, as no external modifications are allowed, but I've learned a few tricks over the years - some of those magazines on the firing line during the slowfire stages are a lot heavier than they appear - especially M1A mags. My Service Rifle AR looks like a typical A2, but weighs in at 17.5# unloaded. Recoil is non-existent firing the .223. One caveat - before adding a bunch of weight, make sure you can physically hold a rifle that heavy in the offhand position as adding/removing weight is not allowed during a match. Trigger pull must be a minimum of 4.5#, but it's cumulative, so if you have a tuneable 2-stage trigger, you can dial in 3.5# into your first stage and 1# into the second. Pretty sweet, but takes some practice not to pull right through the first stage right and into the second.

The area where I live is refreshingly gun-friendly. I live in the county and have never had a complaint about my backyard shooting. We just got State approval for a shooting complex barely a mile from my house. When complete, it will have a full 600yd rifle range, which will be great for practice (and maybe even get some matches going). Best part is that it will be grandfathered under state law so it can't be shut down if some anti-gun kook moves in nearby and starts complaining.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Your area sounds like mine. I have more gun stores in my local then many big cities. Everyone shoot and hunts. We still are using guns racks in our trucks for guns seemed like a novel idea. This year the CCW become a life time license no expiration or renewals. Thank you very much for the links and the info. Now I have something to sink my teeth into.

Thanks again.

G

·
0 Posts
Get out there and shoot!! Being a desk jockey I dont shoot as much as I use to. Once a year I get out w/ the TAC TEAM and man 1yr off and I was horrible at shooting a rifle on the move. I deserved the shit I caught that day! Very true that time does does not wait for anyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts