6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I know this is a bit of an older thread but just ran across this video...

Mid to high shoulder definitely gives a larger target with less chance of missing vital organs and if high in target area takes out spine . Shooting a little farther back ( in the pocket ) kills just as dead but often after a 5-10 second run . I prefer not to destroy the best tasting meat on a deer so I stay a hair behind the shoulder and if they run 50-100 yards the way I see it there is a 50 50 chance they are running closer to the truck . If someone is shooting a deer that will be running through a cactus field ,river/ swamp , across property lines or down a steep hill I definitely see where loosing a little shoulder meat and / or back strap . I remember shooting a big 8 behind the shoulder and he spun around and ran 40 yards back to the steep draw he came from and stumbled and fell 100 yards straight down hill . That was definitely a time I wish I had opted for high shoulder .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree with ozarkpugs. The high shoulder shot does destroy some good meat so I don't take that shot. Now for the instances like he said with swamp, property line, etc., then yes sacrificing a little meat in order to drop the deer instantly may be worth it. If nothing like that is in play, I like to aim for just behind the leg about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the deer. Usually results in a double lung shot and sometimes heart or the plumbing on top of the heart. Deer shot there will not make it 100 yards. 50-75 yards tops. If they go beyond 100 yards, then you didn't execute the shot the way you thought you did and you didn't hit that spot. As an example, my wife killed her biggest buck (9 pointer) with a .223 shooting 64 grain PowerPoint bullets. She shot behind the front leg about 1/3 of the way up and due to the angle of the deer the bullet lodged low in the far shoulder and didn't exit. That big buck ran about 70 yards and fell over. The bullet didn't hit the heart, spine, or any other vital organs other than the lungs. Chest cavity full of blood. So this same shot with a bigger caliber will certainly have the same result with maybe a shorter distance traveled. Certainly an effective shot.

You have some margin for error with this hold. 4-6 inches high - top of the lungs/spine. 4-6 inches to the rear of the deer and you should still get back of the lungs/liver. To the front of the deer, you probably have 3-4 inches where you will still get the front part of the lungs. If you shoot low, you have the least margin for error with this hold but you could be 2-3 inches low and still get the bottom of the lungs. Now I hunt in the woods and very rarely shoot over 100 yards. My rifles are sighted in for 100 yards. So at 50-75 yards, I am usually just a little high so the chances of shooting under the deer are slim. I suppose if I routinely shot 250 -300 yards (or more) at deer and didn't use a range finder that I would maybe adjust my hold a bit higher, say 1/2 way up the deer, to give myself a little more margin for error in case my shot was low. But other than that, I'll stick with my shot placement over the high shoulder shot. When something works well for you tend to stick with it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Of the 120 plus deer I have shot I have probably shot over 1/2 of them in the neck but my preferred shot is thru the lungs/heart or the big spot

Last year I had to shoot a spike blacktail buck because some neck shooting genius shot it in the neck but his shot was off slightly resulted in his bullet hit angled up the neck blowing off the lower jaw when I saw the deer it's jaw was still attached but hanging appr 12" below its head.

If the bullet had hit even 1/2" to the left it would have killed that is how easy it is to wound a deer when you shoot them in the neck.

I shot it thru the lungs @ 130ish yards I used my 22" barreled Rem 700 LTR in 6.8SPC loaded with 110gr Accubonds @ 2750fps the hit was a perfect broadside broke a rib in and another on the way out deer ran appr 80 yards before going down.

My point is I am not against neck shots even though I take fewer of them than I used to I am sharing that the odds of wounding a deer are far higher shooting them in the neck than the big spot.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts