6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot a Stag Arms model 7 with 110 grain Nosler Accubond. What is your preferred aiming point for whitetail?

·
Administrator
22,081 Posts
Quartering away (animal facing left... for reference/perspective), I like just behind the left elbow, low in the chest, aiming for the right leg.

Reason: Two holes in the bathtub, blood flows OUT of the bathtub, doesn't just FILL the bathtub.

It never ceases to amaze me when people complain about liking a HIGH shot and no blood trail to follow. Well, the entire chest cavity is filling and almost NONE is coming OUT of the animal.

Reactions: earlytom

·
Registered
88 Posts
I like a dead center to front edge of front shoulder. Messes up the shoulder but they don’t go anywhere. Each guy seems to have their own preference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It can be a little grotesque but for does if you draw a line straight down the ear and straight back from the eye, right where the lines would intersect. Either a clean kill or a clean miss. Bucks on the other hand goes just behind where I see the shoulder roll and down 2-4”

·
Registered
956 Posts
Any place that will make him dead!

Reactions: A.Hol1

·
Registered
511 Posts
Are usually aim for the top of the heart. Works from every angle except straight behind. You kind of have to understand the 3-D anatomy though. I really like neck shots also.

Hi shoulder shots work well, don't know why, but I rarely take them. Maybe too much meat damage?.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was always told to shoot behind the shoulder and in my mind that meant behind the front leg. Well the first 3 deer I shot with my bow I ended up hitting in the liver and had to wait hours for them to die. Then my father told to follow the front leg straight up into body and shoot in the center of the body vertically. After after that I've never had a problem. You take out both lungs and the plumbing of the heart. I eat the heart so I prefer not to shoot it. This picture is a perfect representation of the vitals. I see alot of pictures that place the vitals further back but they are not correct. Many people also think the leg bone goes straight up into the body but it curves forward and makes a "V" with the shoulder blade. With a gun things are more forgiving but with a bow you have to be perfect
Plant Natural environment Organism Biome Deer

·
Registered
88 Posts
Very good picture dfleury! They always fall like a lightning bolt hit them. I used to bow hunt and learned what you speak about. I pretty much “trophy to me” hunt now (meaning I take one buck or less all year) so busting up a shoulder does not matter to me. I don’t want him going anywhere, especially into a cutover or across a swamp. I have also learned that they can run over 100 yards with the heart shot out. I have shot several through the heart and they run. Want to learn some about shot placement go read Nathan Foster’s work. Www.balisticstudies.com

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
That head shot works unless you pull it and shoot the jaw off and they die slow agonizing death. I’ve seen this happen a few times with that “clean kill or clean miss” shot.

Straight up front leg 1/3-1/2 way up for archery or 1/3-1/2way up back edge of shoulder if I’m meat hunting. If I’m hunting a big buck or need to anchor a deer, I try to take out a shoulder or two as well as hear and lungs.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Google Buck shot in the neck with 7 mm and survived if you think neck shots are the ticket

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts