6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy's, I'm having trouble with the aa2200 powder short stroking in my rifle! H322 works flawlessly with both 85 and 100 grain pills... Looking for help finding a good alternative powder that might give better velocity than the h322!?! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I use H4198 for the lighter bullets, but if you're having short stroking problems with AA2200, H4198 will be worse.

I'd be looking at your gas system; worn rings, loose key, gas block alignment, any leaks? what size is the gas port?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I'm not sure of the gas port size, but I'm running a 14.5 - 1-12 twist noveske carbine length barrel and system! I have been down the road of questioning the rifle and I found it works fine with the hornady black 110vmax and it runs great with my h322 loads, also it would fail alot using the SSA ammo from nosler!
Flirting with 2700fps with the h322 and 100 grain acubonds, very accurate but compressed to the point of leaving marks on the bullet from the seating die! But the primers don't look like to much pressure is happening... So Idk

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Guy's, I'm having trouble with the aa2200 powder short stroking in my rifle! H322 works flawlessly with both 85 and 100 grain pills... Looking for help finding a good alternative powder that might give better velocity than the h322!?! Thanks in advance!
What powder loads with 2200? Suggest 29-30 gr.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I've tried 29.5-31.0 in .5 increments both with 85 and 100 grain bullets... Best accuracy and velocity for the 85 grain was with 30.5 grains at 2840fps, I like that load but it short stroked a few times! My 100 grain acubonds do not shoot accurate at all with the aa2200 for some reason!?! Seems like I got more room for powder with the aa2200 powder! Should I try another half grain or more? Possibly got a bad batch of powder?? I'm fairly new to the reloading game so I appreciate any help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just got back from the range testing loads with AA2200. I had my gas block adjusted correctly with factory S&B loads previously. I had to open it up 2 clicks with the AA2200 loads to get the bolt to lock back on last shot, even when at max load. Strange, I thought I would have to close the block more with these high powered loads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is strange... I don't have a adjustable gas block, not sure if I should abandon the aa2200 or not!?!
Also what are your guys thoughts on good velocity with a 14.5 barrel and 85-100 grain bullets? I like the lighter faster rounds

·
Registered
594 Posts
Do you have a heavy buffer or spring? I thought there were a ton of issues with carbine length gas systems, hence why most are mid length now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm running a geissle h2 braided buffer set up... I'm wondering if the aa2200 is just burning up to fast to reliably cycle my rifle, I'd like to leave it built the way it is now and find a powder/load that works well with it! As I've stated, works great with the factory hornady ammo and with the h322 handloads I've done, just seems to be temperamental with the aa2200.... Any thoughts on a different powder to try? Wondering if lt-32 or h4198 or R7 would be a better fit

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm running a geissle h2 braided buffer set up... I'm wondering if the aa2200 is just burning up to fast to reliably cycle my rifle, I'd like to leave it built the way it is now and find a powder/load that works well with it! As I've stated, works great with the factory hornady ammo and with the h322 handloads I've done, just seems to be temperamental with the aa2200.... Any thoughts on a different powder to try? Wondering if lt-32 or h4198 or R7 would be a better fit
Someone may have an idea, I dont. I only use AA2200 with no issues. I have a 16" mid length bison barrel

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
All three of those powders have a faster burn rate than AA2200, and wouldn't help. First thing I'd try is swap the H2 for a standard weight buffer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
U bet... Or maybe I should get a different magazine so I'm not limited to the 2.260 C.O.A.L
Appreciate the help guys

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The good thing about an adjustable gas block is you can go light on bcg and buffer weight .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I originally set up my 16” with S&B 110 fmj. Accurate and cycled well once I dialed in.

I had to open up my adjustable gas a bit for the 29.5 gr AA2200 and Barnes 95TTSX loads in that same brass,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts