6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a member here(Harter)(and thanks again) send me about 60 + bullets that he's been playing with(130 gr spire point with GC)(my mold of the same bullets should be here by Friday or SAturday) so I could see how a lead bullet is doing. I loaded up five of each powder weight (,18, 19, 20, 21, 22 gr's of H4198) the 20, 21, 22 gr's of h4198 shot one hole at 25 yards. and they all worked the action of my 6.8 upper, (the one I just finished building) I would send pictures If I knew how. the one hole was about 5/8 inch.(at 25 yards.) to me this is very interesting/ and of better things to come( I hope). the 18gr's is a minum load, the first one didn't get the bolt back far enough to pick up the next round(cold barrel) but the other four worked the bolt all the way. talk about aq cheap way to shoot a 6.8!, the mold is from NOE and I might have to get another one for my 7.62x39 uppers (and yes, I buy only 4+ holers molds. I do have a bunch of 6 holers from lee for my other pistols (cowboy guns)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
reloading for my 6.8 build

I forgot! I shot the 21 and 22 gr. loads over my Crony today. (these where the most accurate loading.) A three shot group of the 21 gr's of H4198 ran appox. 2150FPS and the 22gr. load ran about 2,200FPS. I might try 23gr's of 4198 after I get my mold. there was no really flat primers. so there might be a little room to work with.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I also got some boolits from Harter. He sent me some of the NOE 279-124-FP as I was interested in it, but hated to purchase a mold as they can be dang expensive and even more expensive if the firearm of choice doesn’t shoot them. Regardless, I purchase the NOE mold and that is the only cast I shoot from my 6.8mm. My firearm is a T/C 23” Contender. I suspect you are shooting a semi gun?...

You are getting pretty go velocities from the 4198—are those chronographed?...

Several of the cast I started shooting did amazingly well at 50 yards—at 100 and beyond, they were almost pitiful at times. These were cast boolits, as well as jacketed, over 130 grains. I reload cast for the 270 Winchester so I have a few different boolits to choose from. Short distance accuracy results can be “fausse confiance” from time to time!!!...

I use a surplus powder—IMR-7383 and it is a fairly slow burner. A case full to the bottom of the boolit does nicely. I am only getting 1614 fps from the NOE boolit, but it will kill my steel groundhog at 250 yards continuously from the bench. But, I have always been a fan of slow moving cast boolits using a "case-full" of a slow burner. Just dump it in, seat the boolit, and go to the range--simple...

With the combination I shoot all the time now, I can load a box of 20 rounds for $1.34!!! I can shoot those all day…

Good-luck…BCB

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Harters bulets

He sent me about 60 or so and I used my Crony for the vel., and yes. I eyes got a little bigger with the vel. I've shot lead before but not like that. My four holer mold just walked in the door and I'm heating it for the first time now.it's 3pm Centel time here. I hope to have shoot able bullets by Saturday,I tumble lube my bullets that means tumble lubing twice. and drying them both times. I brought a 6.8 barrel from nanatet02 and that is the barrel i'm using. (thanks again nanate02). I have high hopes for the bullets and the 6.8 upper.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just curious as to why you lube them twice?...

When I use Liquid Alox, I size and check the boolits using a Lee push-though. I then heat up a bit of Alox in the microwave. I used the bottles that come with the Lee sizing die. I generally “cut” my liquid Alox with a bit of mineral spirits and when the stuff is heated, if flows better. I put a handful of sized boolits in a Ziploc bag and add less than a teaspoon. I roll them around and then put them on a cookie sheet standing on the check—labor intensive, I know. I then put them in an over at 200+ degrees for about 5 minutes. Shut he oven off and the Alox dries pretty quickly. I generally just let them in the oven overnight, but that is not necessary…

My boolits only have a very light coat of Alox on them when done. It basically looks like the boolit got a “suntan”. I have never found I needed much more of a coating than that, especially with gaschecks

Just my method and it’s worked since I started casting about 15 years ago—I used to “sloop” it on them and they were a hell of mess. The way I do it now they end up neat and evenly coated…

If the pic I attached arrives, the boolit in the center is NOT LUBED. The 2 on the outside are lubed using my method. I have no leading problems at all…

I read an article last night by Ken Waters and he indicated that less is better when it comes to Alox—I tend to agree. And, I certainly believe he knows of what he speaks and writes!!!...

Good-luck…BCB

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lube for 6.8's

Whites lube in Arkansas has a 40-40-20 lube that pretty good. (they also make X-lox)it the same thing as A-lox. but the 40-40-20 dries quicker.ok. it's the way I do tumble lube. just a little goes a long way. I've had no problems with leading since I lube every thing with x-lox or the mix.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lubing 6.8

I lube my bullet with X-lox or 45-45-10(from white lube) and after putting the gas checks on them I relube them.(Lee push through) I've had no problems with leading yet! I started pouring bullets at 5am this morning. that's when I found my 4 holer mold had two holes for GC's and two holes for PB. but that's ok, because I was thinking of trying the pb any way. I'll shoot the PB Saturday morning and I'll see how they do. I've got 10 cases with 18 gr's of H-4198, 10 cases of 19 gr's and 10 cases of 20 gr's. I'm hoping to have a bunch of gas checks later this afternoon(If they dry).

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I didn't get to use them on a hog ........

I did shoot a 2.5 " 10 shot 100 yd group , cold bbl , 10 shots , under 2 min 2167 average fps 2140-2180.
That isn't moving on or spectacular groups but the FC 115 FMJ shoots over 3" while the Factory Hornady 120SST only goes into 2.8 with a best to date hand load doing about the same 2.5" . The 115 gr FMJ is only 250 fps faster and the 120 SST about 200 fps faster . At 250 zero it hits 18" high at 100 and with a 3" over 100 yd zero requires about a 12" hold over @250 . My alloy will punch 1/4 plate at 110 yd with my load at 23.6 H322.

Gents I appreciate the kind words. I only poured the bullets into a top shelf mould .

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shooting lead in 6.8

Harter, it's good to see you back! did you have any luck with the PB 274 -124 bullets, read my notes at the top of the collem . did you havea good trip
sorry we couldn['t meet.
Pat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts